thank you ATC congestion at JFK..saved me $540

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 9:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

I had a non refundable ticket booked JFK-CLT-MSY. The initial leg was at 630pm, with a 2 hour layover in CLT to give plenty of padding so I could make the last flight to MSY.

2 days before the trip, my plans changed that didn't require me to take the trip, so I was resigned to lose most of the ticket value after change fees when I would eventually use the credit for a future trip. Heeding advice given here over the years, I sat on it and did nothing.

A few hours before departure, I got a text update that the 1st leg was delayed 30 minutes. Still plenty of time for connection. Then another text telling me an hour delay. Now down to a one hour connection. Still within legal minimum connection time.

Then another text that the new departure time would only give me a 22 minute connection in CLT. That was my cue...I called and explained to the agent that the trip is useless to me now because I would miss the 2nd leg. Without question or push back, she immediately offered to cancel and refund it all.

Out of curiosity, I followed up on the flight the next day. Turns out it eventually flew, but arrived CLT an hour after my connecting flight left.

Moral of the story...never cancel a non refundable ticket until you know for certain the flight operated.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
I had a non refundable ticket booked JFK-CLT-MSY. The initial leg was at 630pm, with a 2 hour layover in CLT to give plenty of padding so I could make the last flight to MSY.

2 days before the trip, my plans changed that didn't require me to take the trip, so I was resigned to lose most of the ticket value after change fees when I would eventually use the credit for a future trip. Heeding advice given here over the years, I sat on it and did nothing.

A few hours before departure, I got a text update that the 1st leg was delayed 30 minutes. Still plenty of time for connection. Then another text telling me an hour delay. Now down to a one hour connection. Still within legal minimum connection time.

Then another text that the new departure time would only give me a 22 minute connection in CLT. That was my cue...I called and explained to the agent that the trip is useless to me now because I would miss the 2nd leg. Without question or push back, she immediately offered to cancel and refund it all.

Out of curiosity, I followed up on the flight the next day. Turns out it eventually flew, but arrived CLT an hour after my connecting flight left.

Moral of the story...never cancel a non refundable ticket until you know for certain the flight operated.
They are doing runway construction at JFK, in addition from 6pm-8pm there are lots of intl. departures. The weather in NYC over the past week was nice, there have been thunderstorms in the vicinity lately. Your outbound may also have been delayed due to a delayed inbound.
[I've been on flts. out of JFK in the early evening with queues of 40 planes.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Excellent advice. Don't cancel until the very last minute, but you do have to cancel before departure time, no?
Old May 22, 2015, 5:11 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

I canceled about 15-20 minutes before originally scheduled departure time once it was clear there would be a misconnect. I also never checked in for the flight, though maybe I should have if it would have made any difference later. If the longer delays were not known until after original departure time, it would at least appear I was stuck waiting and decided to abandon the trip due to pending misconnect.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

on the US side you just need to cancel that day. so even after the flight left you can credit the ticket back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.