Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection Time Changed - Can I Get a Better Flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Connection Time Changed - Can I Get a Better Flight?

Hi folks,

Quick question for everybody here.

I'm currently booked on LAX - PHX - DCA, with a 45 minute layover in PHX. Booked with a Q fare on both legs.

Today I checked my itinerary online, and the website mentioned that they changed the second leg, so I only have a 40 minute layover now.

The departure from LAX is earlier than I would like, and there are other flights that I would much prefer (later departure, and layover in CLT instead of PHX).

How likely is it that, if I called in, I could get my flight changed to the later departure, with the excuse that the shorter layover doesn't work for me anymore? Does US honor those requests at all? Would I have to find another flight with Q booking code (of which there are basically none)?

When I look at my reservation on the website, it mentions the changes, with a button saying "I don't accept these changes" (requiring me to call in). Does that matter at all?

Thanks very much for the help!
Old May 11, 2015, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't accidentally accept the changes on line. You'll be able to rebook at most once, provided that you haven't accepted the changes first.

Is your connection now under the official UA MCT at PHX for D-D?
Old May 11, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
The agent should change it for you due to the shorter connection time. On another note, if you ever get a message like that to accept the changes and you don't accept them (or call to get them changed) the auto-upgrade system doesn't work for your reservation. I found that out on a holiday trip I had booked weeks out, and the agent explained that when I called to find out why I hadn't received an upgrade email.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't accidentally accept the changes on line. You'll be able to rebook at most once, provided that you haven't accepted the changes first.

Is your connection now under the official UA MCT at PHX for D-D?
Thanks. I don't think I'm under the minimum connection time (was 45 minutes, now 40 minutes).

When I'm rebooking, will I have to pay the difference in fare, or will they let me fly on my originally purchased price?

Thanks again!
Old May 12, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
You should be able to get the flight changed to a better one (as long as it is the same day with the same origin and destination). Alternatively, you should be able to ask for a refund if that connection doesn't work for you anymore either.

For the comment about accepting the changes with regards to upgrades, I have not clicked "accept changes" before and still had my upgrades go through with no issue (on US at least).
Old May 12, 2015, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US has no obligation to provide a fee-free change, but you may ask. The new connection is still within the D-D MCT for PHX.

I would simply call and say that you are nervous about the connection and would appreciate a courtesy change. About 80% of the time, you will get it. If US says no, thank the agent, end the call and call back. Sometimes the agent will note your PNR as to the request and decision, most of the time they won't bother.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
US has no obligation to provide a fee-free change, but you may ask. The new connection is still within the D-D MCT for PHX.

I would simply call and say that you are nervous about the connection and would appreciate a courtesy change. About 80% of the time, you will get it. If US says no, thank the agent, end the call and call back. Sometimes the agent will note your PNR as to the request and decision, most of the time they won't bother.
Thanks! And final question: I'm currently booked on US metal--if I am successful in getting them to change my flight, do I have to stay on US, or can I switch to AA?
Old May 12, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Thanks! And final question: I'm currently booked on US metal--if I am successful in getting them to change my flight, do I have to stay on US, or can I switch to AA?
You don't have a right to switch to AA, but under circumstances like these US (and other airlines) will often allow you to make changes that they are not required to permit. You should prepare in advance by knowing what AA flight you want, and ask politely. AA's agreement may also be required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.