Wiki Posts
Search

No more upgrades on award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
No more upgrades on award tickets

I thought we were still going to receive upgrades on award tickets when traveling on US metal (those that had the special dividends). Just checked in on an award booking and no option to be added to upgrade list.

I guess this went away with the merger of the programs.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by william142
I thought we were still going to receive upgrades on award tickets when traveling on US metal (those that had the special dividends). Just checked in on an award booking and no option to be added to upgrade list.

Yes it did. It (unfortunately but understandably) never was offered on AA. After all, one can buy an F award instead of Y in order to travel upfront.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Yes it did. It (unfortunately but understandably) never was offered on AA. After all, one can buy an F award instead of Y in order to travel upfront.
By the same logic, one can buy a F ticket instead of Y in order to travel upfront and yet, American offers upgrades to elites for free or in exchange of 500-mile upgrades.

Maybe that has something to do with the fact that award tickets generally don't bring it any significant revenue as they only include airport taxes and fees, whereas paid tickets bring in some revenue.

United offers upgrades on award tickets if you have their card, so US Airways was not alone in offering that perk. Not sure why American is not doing that but I doubt it has anything to do with what you believe.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
US has always had F awards, too.

Given that AA has said they'll be following US rules for US metal so long as it exists, it seems petty to take away this one tiny benefit.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: US Chairman's ––> AA Executive Platinum BIS 1.1MM
Originally Posted by william142

Actually on pmUS, it was not possible to be added to the upgrade list or upgrade at checkin on an award booking. You could only be upgraded by the sweeps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.