Search

Using US $500 VDB Voucher + Companion Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Using US $500 VDB Voucher + Companion Upgrade

Hello,

A very specific inquiry here. I called the US Plat line but the reservation seemed confused and did not quite understand my inquiry. Maybe someone here has had the experience.

In September I would like to book a flights to Alaska for me and a companion. I have a $500 US VDB Voucher I would like to use (only bookable by phone). My companion is based in BHM and I am based in CLT. I am a US Plat and he has no status.

We'd like to book the following tickets on one reservation so we can qualify to get companion upgrades, if available for the qualifying legs:
Me: CLT - PHX - ANC (Destination) - PHX - MCI (Stopover) - CLT. ITA priced this at $708 all on US Air metal as three individual one-way trips
He: BHM - CLT - PHX - ANC (Destination) - PHX CLT BHM. ITA priced this at $671

So I'd like to purchase both of these tickets for $1379, paid for by the $500 voucher and $879 on a credit card.

Is this possible to purchase both at once with my voucher in order to be eligible for a companion upgrade?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by beofotch
...Is this possible to purchase both at once with my voucher in order to be eligible for a companion upgrade?
Unfortunately, no.

To be eligible, both of you need to be on the same itinerary ... a different origin/destination always means different PNRs for the two of you, even when booked together in the same telephone call.

Not so long ago, a US Preferred could upgrade anyone as a companion on portions of a trip when flying together. No longer (there was abuse). Now, both Preferred and companion must be on the same PNR for the companion upgrade to work ...

Possible exception: At the gate, sometimes nice GAs do upgrade a companion on a different PNR. It's not a stated benefit, however.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
What kudzu said ; and see this thread for similar problem / info.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, LH SEN
$500 US voucher

I have a $500 voucher expiring 11/12 which I am not planning to use.
Can I transfer it to someone else?

Please PM for any ideas or suggestions.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
Book by 11/12 or flight taken by 11/12? I have some ideas.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by gaidamak

Take a look here. Suggests that degree of difficulty will depend on what kind of voucher it is.

Eventually, I was able to transfer even this E-TUV voucher ($200 IIRC, referred to in the linked thread) to my spouse. It took a number of calls since a couple of times I was told "no" and a few of the "yes"'s could not figure out how to do it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:16 pm

I need to see the fine print but this used to work.

You are allowed to book a ticket for a family member, friend, etc as long as you don't sell it( wink wink). Get your new friend on a 3 way call with a ticket agent. Explain you are allowing your friend to use your voucher. Give all the codes from the voucher and then have your new friend provide Iternary and have him pay any difference over the 500 face value on his credit card. If by "chance" you receive something in the mail as a thanks that would be yours to keep. This works nicely on close knit community vs selling on eBay and sending it thru the mail with no interaction.

Does your voucher rule read book by that Nov date or complete travel by???
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:24 pm

Depending on the answer I would have interest and would pm you.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
If you want to use companion upgrade, you'd have to do this:

For

CLT-PHX-ANC-PHX-MCI-CLT
BHM-CLT-PHX-ANC-PHX-CLT-BHM

Buy 2xOW CLT-PHX on the same PNR
Buy 2xRT PHX-ANC-PHX on the same PNR
Buy the rest of the itineraries as CLT-PHX, PHX-MCI-CLT; BHM-CLT-BHM, PHX-CLT

Usually, if you buy far enough in advance, OW costs 1/2 or a RT. From the pricing your quoted, I assume you're buying coach with restrictions. Just make sure you don't have to change your plans later, or you'll pay a lot in change fees.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by gaidamak

Buy a refundable fare with this voucher, and theoretically you'd be able to roll it indefinitely (unless voucher has fare restrictions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.