Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel to Africa??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Award Travel to Africa??

I'm trying to book a trip to Africa via award travel but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know which cities in Africa you can get to via saved miles? When I try Nairobi for example I get the message,

"We don’t offer award travel to/from the cities you’re searching. Please take a look at our partner award travel chart and try different cities."

The travel chart of course has no indication of exact cities.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Every *A destination in Africa can be reached with US Airways miles. There are about 70. That doesn't mean these destinations can be booked online.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/map/
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:17 am

You need to call to book these kind of awards with partner airlines.

The best strategy is to use one of the available tools (like the ANA tool) to find space, then call.

Sometimes these tools don't check all the possible connections. They often also don't show connections with an overnight stay somewhere in route.

Try the tool for end to end first. If this does not work find out which star carriers fly from their hub to your destination. Then try to find space from the hub to the destination. After that try to find space from your departure airport to the hub (arriving not too late - check the minimum connection time and not more than 23:59 before your connecting flight.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'd highly suggest skimming through this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

At least the last few pages of it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
FYI, the only direct to Africa options from the US will be Addis Ababa on Ethiopian from Dulles, Lagos on United from Houston, Johannesburg from JFK or Dulles on South African and Cairo on Egyptair from NY-JFK

You should have plenty of options connecting in Europe, though, between the above airlines and Lufthansa, Swiss, Brussels, Turkish, and TAP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.