Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guaymas - GYM?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
Question Guaymas - GYM?

Hi US Airways Folks,

I'm headed to GYM next month and trying to find out if US is the only carrier with service in/out of GYM? I'm willing to consider other airlines, but can only find the one US flight in/out of GYM every day. Seems bizarre that there are no other carriers (even domestic within Mexico) that operate there...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:24 pm

Looking at flightaware, the dash flight you found is the only scheduled U.S. Carrier's flight.

Wikipedia (groan if you must) shows two jerkwater Mexican regionals using caravans and Cessna 402's to service GYM - if you call a caravan service. If you gotta be there, the dash starts looking better by the minute compared to the alternatives.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I haven't been through GYM in a long time. If frequency is what you need, consider Hermosillo and the drive. One can get Aeromexico through LAX as well as US and AM flights from PHX; lots of intra-Mex flights.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll just go for US/Mesa's PHX/GYM flight. I have friends in San Carlos who'd prefer not to drive an hour to come get me from the airport if I fly to Hermosillo.

It's crazy that US operates just one flight in/out of GYM. How does Mexican customs look at GYM or is there pre-clearance in PHX before heading south?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:00 am

Years ago AM flew GYM-TUS. Guess that's no longer the case...

two jerkwater Mexican regionals
No need to diss. There's a trip report on airliners.net about Aéreo Calafia and they seem to be ok.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:49 pm

Local carriers for Guaymas

Aerocalafia has flights from Guaymas to La Paz, Los Cabos and Puerto Penasco.

Aeroservicio Guerrero has flights from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia, Guerrero Negro and Loreto.

Re customs: you do customs in GYM. You'll get the paperwork on the flight for your tourist visa. Guaymas has one small arrivals area with one friendly customs person. After you hand your tourist visa and passport to the official, you get your luggage -- then you press a button. If you get green, you leave -- if you get red, someone will look at your luggage. It's all very quick and easy.

Have a great trip -- San Carlos is fantastic!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
PHX-Guaymas becomes a 50 seat CRJ regional jet starting July 1.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
PHX-Guaymas becomes a 50 seat CRJ regional jet starting July 1.
Operated by SkyWest. June 30 is the last date the remaining 3 Mesa Dash-8s operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.