Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles Expiration Date for USAirways - How do you tell?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Miles Expiration Date for USAirways - How do you tell?

How do you tell what expiration date is for your miles for USAIR? I logged onto my account and have been searching and searching. I can't seem to find a date anywhere. Have they stooped so low as to hide the date so you don't know? I also get the regular email updates and it is not in that either.

My apologies if I am missing something.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
Mileage exp. date

They dont list it on the website (go figure) but it is the standard 18 months from last activity. I called just to confirm. If you are close to loosing your miles- you can sign up for Dividend Miles Dinning go to one restaurant spend literally a dollar and your miles are good for another 18 months- just remember it can take a few weeks for the miles to post to your account. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
According to www.mileagemanager.com/forbes.php
Most frequency programs do not report point/mileage expiration, although many will "expire" miles/points after a certain amount of time or after a period of inactivity. Because of this, MileageManager brought to you by ForbesTraveler.com may not be able to report precise expiration information. To prevent the untimely loss of your hard earned miles/points, please review this program's expiration policy:
Active membership status is based on having earned or redeemed miles within a consecutive 18 month period. Dividend Miles members have an opportunity to reinstate their accounts to active status for an additional 18 months for a $50 processing fee and reactivation fee of $.01 per mile. If members do not extend with this reactivation option, the Dividend Miles account will be closed and all miles forfeited. Keep miles alive by earning and burning mileage with a variety of airlines, non-travel and shopping partners.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

That really sucks that they don't put it first thing

On the summary page. Speaks volumes about an organization that needs to hide that info from customers.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
...Speaks volumes about an organization that needs to hide that info from customers.
I have FF accounts with 2 other airlines (one in Skyteam and other in OneWorld) and know that the miles expiration date info is not easily found - it appears to be industry-wide.

Once a year (usually year's end), if there's no activity I'd buy a little something to keep the Miles going.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
On the summary page. Speaks volumes about an organization that needs to hide that info from customers.
+1. AA puts the exact expiration date right next to the miles balance...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by kudzu
I have FF accounts with 2 other airlines (one in Skyteam and other in OneWorld) and know that the miles expiration date info is not easily found - it appears to be industry-wide.

Once a year (usually year's end), if there's no activity I'd buy a little something to keep the Miles going.
The date of expiration is clearly stated in one's accounts for United Mileage Plus and Delta SkyMiles. Northwest WorldPerks miles did not have an expiration until they merged with Delta, now the date of expiration is same as Delta's, if one merged accounts. Continental OnePass miles don't expire (yet), so there is no date.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: US,HH
Your last activity date is listed on your monthly mileage summary email. You can easily calculate your mileage expiration date.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kellio33
Your last activity date is listed on your monthly mileage summary email. You can easily calculate your mileage expiration date.
Right - how much IT muscle would it take for US to do the calculation for their customers?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: US,HH
Not much but I think it's a nice to have. At this point I'd rather they focus on bug fixes and making the site functional and working correctly.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Have to agree that this is a big minus... . I am building a spreadsheet tracking loyalty programs for myself and not-so-organized partner... DL, AA, UA all show it.... US - nope.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
How about CO? There's no indication of expiration for OP miles.

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Have to agree that this is a big minus... . I am building a spreadsheet tracking loyalty programs for myself and not-so-organized partner... DL, AA, UA all show it.... US - nope.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
So far CO miles do not expire.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG: Platinum
I just got an E Mail from DM. It tells me that I have not had activity in my account since June of 08. If there is no activity in my account, the miles will expire in Jan 10.

It also said I can retain my miles by shopping
"Shop with over 175 premium retailers for name-brand merchandise at the
Dividend Miles Shopping Mall, where you can reactivate your account for as little as one dollar."

I don't want to lose the 7500 miles. What can I buy for $1.00? I looked but haven't found it yet.

I have no plans to fly US Airways. If I did, I would take my miles on UA or CO.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by cldflyer
I just got an E Mail from DM. It tells me that I have not had activity in my account since June of 08. If there is no activity in my account, the miles will expire in Jan 10.

It also said I can retain my miles by shopping
"Shop with over 175 premium retailers for name-brand merchandise at the
Dividend Miles Shopping Mall, where you can reactivate your account for as little as one dollar."

I don't want to lose the 7500 miles. What can I buy for $1.00? I looked but haven't found it yet.

I have no plans to fly US Airways. If I did, I would take my miles on UA or CO.
So you don't plan on earning anymore miles from flying on US. But you want to save the 7500 miles from expiring so I am guessing you plan on continuing to earn DMs until you can one day redeem an award with DMs. Am I right? So why not start building that 7500 miles up now? Instead of looking for something to buy for $1 that you might not even need, how about finding something you want or something that you can use for a holiday gift. Your 7500 miles are practically worthless (magazines?). They aren't going to gain value just sitting there so you need to bring the balance up - up by more than just the miles earned from a $1 purchase.

There are other ways to extend your expiration - hotels, car rentals, credit cards and even buying miles outright from US.

You could register a credit card with Dividend Miles Dining, have one meal at a participating dining location and, voila, the clock resets on your expiration. Sometimes a participating restaurant will have a bottled-drink case, deli counter or bakery display. You wouldn't even have to "dine in" if you don't want.

That might be easier than finding a $1 widget to buy at DM Shopping.

Edit: I forgot a truly EASY and CHEAP way of earning a couple of miles. Register a cc with Thanks Again. Go to the restaurant section and you will find a link for restaurant.com. Find a restaurant where you can purchase a $10 gift certificate (even if you don't plan on dining) for $2. Voila again. DMs will post to your account and reset the clock.

Edit again: The current %-off code for restaurant.com is HARVEST.

Last edited by Evan!; Nov 5, 2009 at 5:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.