Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
While I hope you're right, I have to say don't hold your breath. This is HP's decision and once they're in cheap mode there's no going back.
I know, but according to their document:

[...]We have introduced a new award chart, a new FlightFund Elite level and several new member benefits.[...]

I haven't seen one, so they must be to come
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:34 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by frankytalia
I know, but according to their document:

[...]We have introduced a new award chart, a new FlightFund Elite level and several new member benefits.[...]

I haven't seen one, so they must be to come

Trust me I can appreciate your pain.. as a current HP Gold with 88 segments.. and will not have 90 until AFTER OCT 5, I have no idea what limbo land I will fall in... Hopefully if not Platinum.. it will be Chairman's until Feb of next year. I think I will end up with like 102.. so not quick Chairman's Bad HP/US

Well, we are all gonna lose a little... it is the power of HP's management.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face

Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
You only lose if you sit by an take it.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:20 am

Programs: US CP, *Gold, AA Peon
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Also, does this mean the 20K domestic award for preferred members is going away? Also, is the online booking bonus going to be only 500 miles from now on?
Per US website under 'News and Offers':

Online Booking Bonus 500 Miles Ongoing
Beginning October 1, 2005, you’ll earn 500 bonus when purchasing tickets at usairways.com. Preferred members are enjoying exclusive benefits such as unlimited E-Upgrades, Preferred boarding and much more. Plus, you’ll save between $5 and $30* on every ticket!

Also... looks like they took away the 100 mile flight check in offer.

-GH
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I fail to understand the true benefit of the Silver level now.

Let's start with Upgrades. How many Silvers believe they have a shot at upgrading now? Come on, raise your hands. Think of those eight-seat 757's. Advance upgrades seem 100% out of the question given the low level of inventory allocated to that bucket. And at the gate? Ugh.

Priority boarding? OK - as a silver, one gets zone 2. But, they've eliminated preboarding for First Class and elites; and the whole "now boarding zones 1 and 2" cattle call doesn't even make a CP feel elite.

At least there are still elite check-in lanes at the airport.

Hopefully I'll eke out one more year of Chairman's to try out "the new" US Airways.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:42 am

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Originally Posted by shinbal
But, they've eliminated preboarding for First Class and elites. . . .
Where did you find that piece of information?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I fail to understand the true benefit of the Silver level now.

Let's start with Upgrades. How many Silvers believe they have a shot at upgrading now? Come on, raise your hands. Think of those eight-seat 757's. Advance upgrades seem 100% out of the question given the low level of inventory allocated to that bucket. And at the gate? Ugh.

Priority boarding? OK - as a silver, one gets zone 2. But, they've eliminated preboarding for First Class and elites; and the whole "now boarding zones 1 and 2" cattle call doesn't even make a CP feel elite.

At least there are still elite check-in lanes at the airport.

Hopefully I'll eke out one more year of Chairman's to try out "the new" US Airways.
Ok, I disagree with this one.

1.) Zone 1 and 2 - even if there are a lot of people still ensures an overhead bin. Not to mention that a good GAs when there are a lot of people to break up Zoens 1 and 2.

2.) Preferred check-in and security are huge benefits.

3.) 25% bonus is still better than nothing.

4.) Upgrades = as a silver on the old US I am 12 for 15 this year on upgrades. Yes, the new HP elites will add some competition but a lot of east coast routes, esp. ex-northeast southbound routes will see few west-coast HP flyers on them.

5.) Preferred Phone Line.

6.) Overall recognition.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
And based on the consistent responses in this thread, maybe the one that will lose the most is the new US!

You're right, the power is there - to either keep their best flyers happy or screw things up so mightily that they implode in the end...
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davidl
Where did you find that piece of information?

I don't think that it's new information. With the zone boarding process, most GA's now don't give PRE-boarding to First Class and preferreds before general boarding of other areas.

The last 30 or so segments I've been on call preboarding for wheelchairs and UM's. Then, they call (in most cases) zones 1 and 2 together, eliminating the separate FC boarding; and eliminating the boarding of elite-levels only.

Do others hear different things?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
I don't think that it's new information. With the zone boarding process, most GA's now don't give PRE-boarding to First Class and preferreds before general boarding of other areas.

The last 30 or so segments I've been on call preboarding for wheelchairs and UM's. Then, they call (in most cases) zones 1 and 2 together, eliminating the separate FC boarding; and eliminating the boarding of elite-levels only.

Is there anyone in Zone 1 or 2 who is not either in FC or elite? I've always assumed that "Zones 1 and 2" was just a less overtly snotty way of saying "people we like more, get on first."

But then, I thought that way before I made SP or GP.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:25 am

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW

The only folks in zones 1 & 2 are those who are in First class, are elite, or have the BoA Visa signature card. So in essence preboarding is there.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:23 am

Programs: Now a lowly US PP
I just read through this whole thread, and I'm not clear on if we're still going to roll over additional miles. I will have 20-30K additional miles after qualifying for CP. Will those roll over? Will I now qualify for CP with 120K miles?

Sigh....overall, I don't get the warm fuzzies.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Gretchyn
I just read through this whole thread, and I'm not clear on if we're still going to roll over additional miles. I will have 20-30K additional miles after qualifying for CP. Will those roll over? Will I now qualify for CP with 120K miles?

Sigh....overall, I don't get the warm fuzzies.
My guess will be no. HP didn't have rollover and I certainly wouldn't put it pas them to continue that with the new US Airways.

Lance
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: US CP, HP Platinum,UA nobody
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
LOL! Once again I was proven right, and it looks as thought some people need to start munching on crow.

"This would also seem to indicate that the Silver/Gold level elite bonuses on the US side will be reduced to 25/50%. I can't see HP giving 100% bonues to Gold, Plat, and CP. Unless HP plans on bringing back the 125% bonus for top tier elites, there are going to be some pissed off Silvers and Golds."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=21

Any of you care to bet against me on this thread.

Enjoy the promos while you can.
Byrd I also tried. If a recall an earlier quote from Doug, "We'll be combining the best features of both programs." More like including the worst (e.g. 500 booking bonus, reduced award mileage% and eliminating the best (e.g. 500 mile award trips). Goodbye mileage promos after the introductory one.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I'm far less upset about the addition of the Platinum level than I am about GPs' status bonus dropping from 100% to 50%. That's huge! And it bites big time! I can't even say that people who come close to making GP stand to gain by getting bumped up to Platinum status ahead of Golds, since their mileage bonus will still be falling 25%. Their upgrade chances will only increase marginally, since they'll still be behind the CP's.

I'm going to stick around for one more year to see what additional changes (good or bad) the next year brings. But if the mileage program continues the way it has been announced, I will seriously consider switching my loyalty to UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.