Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Power ports will be removed!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
No. You can't just declare yourself a LCC without the low CASM to back it up.
No one said you had to be telling the truth when calling yourself a LCC.

There's no way to quantify what makes a LCC a LCC.

British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Lufthansa are free to call themselves LCCs if they really wanted to. I am sure they would prefer file for their countries' versions of Chapter 7 before doing so, however.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1
Schwab,

I am glad you called. We need everyone to either write or call. Heck if this thread continues I might even forward a link of this thread to the people of CCY. I know they lurk on here from time to time. But I have not idea about the management of HP. If anyone has E mail of the top execs there they should forward this thread. I truly hope they rethink this.

T

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
Over my lunch hour I called Consumer Affairs and played dumb about the removal of power ports on the narrow body Airbus fleet.

Citing my source as a change in their web page and asked them directly, "Should I take this you are planning on removing the power ports on the narrow body Airbus fleet?" When they answered yes, I thanked them for the information and informed them that was the primary reason I had remained flying with them over the last five years through everything and if they were going I was going to look for another carrier that better suited my needs.

This is riddiculous. How can they expect anyone to work on a plane for any extended amount of time without providing power? I don't really care about china or glassware in first class, or any type of meal service on the plane. When it comes down to it, I don't really care if they serve Coke or Pepsi, as long as I know what to expect (I got some really strange looks on a recent UA flight when I asked for a glass of ice and pulled out a .5 liter bottle of Coke). I don't even care about the unlimited upgrades to first or the CP Desk.

But this??? If you prevent me from working on a transcon, and boiling it down to only basic transportation and become a Southwest with a seat assignment.

I will go to another carrier that I can get a seat with a power port. I had the trips planned to earn the 28,000 miles I needed to renew for CP. I'm starting to rethink my travel plans for the rest of this year and for 2006.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Lightbulb Not Apples to Apples...

I'd avoided weighing in on this thread, but now I feel the need.

As a long time HP critic who converted to being an HP loyalist, I've seen, over the years, HP do a lot of stupid things in the past and lot of smart things more recently.

On City Size
No west coast city (except, perhaps, LA) has the population density over such a wide area as that of most east coast cities. The history and geography is such that they've developed differently. None of this is a news flash.

That said, it's not an apples to apples comparison to say that the feeder area of a given airport in the west is not as large as for an airport in the east.

Example East: PHL
PHL is in the center of a huge megalopolis with a catchment area of many millions of people. Also in or overlapping this catchment area are JFK, LGA, EWR, HPN, BDL, BWI, ISP, LNS, ABE, ACY, etc.
With so many people and so many airport choices, where in this megalopolis one lives/works/etc. is a big factor in determining which airport you choose. With JFK, EWR and PHL all as hubs (B6, CO and US, respectively), if you're anywhere near one of these, the number of non-stops serviced really can influence the decision process. Feeder airports also determine allegiance. Distances are small but traffic and congestion are great, so sometimes a 50 mile flight makes a big difference in time.

Example West: PHX
PHX is in the middle of the desert. Although there a few million people in the city and a cluster of suburbs that are expanding rapidly, it is an island of population. In this island, there's one airport, PHX.
With just one airport, if you live there, you use it. No choice, no drama.
But, and this is a big but, the catchment area for an airport like PHX is huge, both in terms of population and in terms of area.
Scores of airports in the west are over a hundred miles from one another and service a very few hub airports. Flyers from airports like SBA, TUS, FMN, HII, etc have few options. Typically, they can choose from LAX, LAS, PHX, SLC or DEN as hubs. Each of these hubs have pros and cons unique to them. LAX, for instance, is great for international connections, but it's a horrible airport to interline at because of the way it's built. DEN and SLC are pretty good airports, but can be hit by weather pretty hard in the winter. That leaves PHX and LAS, the HP hubs, as the most practical options for folks out here.

So, yes, PHL has a bigger catchment area in terms of people than PHX, but it's also got more competition.

On What An LCC Is
Compared to a Ryanair or EasyJet, even WN is a HCC. Does that make WN a HCC? Obviously not. Ryanair and its European ilk are able to be what they are because they don't try to meet the needs of business travelers. With more leisure time than Americans, the holiday market in Europe is logically larger and can support the antics of Ryanair. Unless you're on a weekend or late night flight on WN, most of the passengers are business people whose companies have said fly as cheap as you can or who enjoy the flexibility of WN's lack of change fees on most fares.

If you look at WN's fares against HP's fares though, you'll see that WN is rarely any cheaper and often more expensive. This with no service to small airports, no interline baggage, no 1st class, no seat assignments, etc.

Is HP my favorite airline? No. I really like the service on American, frankly. But, my company's policy is to fly the cheapest fare that still meets business objectives. For me, this is almost always HP and I can fly them most anywhere I need to go with only one stop. In the near future, I expect that the few places I can't fly them today will change to open up new destinations with just two stops and they'll probably still be cheaper. I'm sure that I'm not the only person in this position and I think the folks in Tempe know this.

Just my 7 or 8 cents...
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my doubts about the long-term viability of the combined HP/US, but my doubts didn't arise because of stupid, boneheaded moves like removing power ports. If this is any indication of the new, improved US and how it tries to attract and keep its customer base, then UAL, AA, DL and others are gonna love this merged airline.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I Googled and came up with an e-mail address for Doug Parker HP President and CEO.

[email protected]

Source: Willow Glen Times article
http://www.willowglentimes.com/040105/yeag_den.htm

I also called HP's equivalent of Consumer Affairs and expressed my opinion on the removal of the power ports.

Overall experience was relatively pleasant, got to talk to a live person in 7 min vs 21 min at US. I had called a toll number listed on their website and she asked what number I called and gave me a 1-800 to use in the future.

800-363-2542 Option 2 - HP Consumer Affairs.

I am planning on writing a lengthy letter to both of them over the weekend expressing my displeasure at this decision.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'll be making a few calls and writing a few letters this weekend. I'm seriously thinking about switching from Delta to US Airways next year, and one of the major reasons as for me switching would have been the fact that there would be powerports on the Airbus flights, while on Delta I'm normally on a MD-88 without juice. Of course, with powerports leaving, GSO and MHT (my two primary airports) being reduced to mostly RJs (GSO has 2-3 737s to CLT only now; MHT is going to 3x mainline to PHL, 2x mainline to DCA and 4x mainline to CLT, mostly on 737s; most PHL, all LGA and some DCA and CLT are RJs), that is one more reason why I'm thinking about sticking with Delta (not to mention the fact that there are occasions where I can grab a 737-800 on Delta).
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I just called the number you have me for HP Mr. Schwab. They were more than happy to take down my information and she gave me a file number report. I guess other people are calling because she said this was the 4th request she had today and there are many people in her department. I was not on hold at all. The call went right through. The HP rep was extremely nice.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
I will go to another carrier that I can get a seat with a power port. I had the trips planned to earn the 28,000 miles I needed to renew for CP. I'm starting to rethink my travel plans for the rest of this year and for 2006.
which airlines offer powerports in domestic service?

AA does now, on all mainline flights except a handful of ex-TW 757's. in fact they installed them on the ex-TW MD80's (together with bigger overhead bins) specifically because they'd done the math and this was one investment business travelers would pay for.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: U*S Chairman 2008 (2006 = 248,000 Actual Miles on HP) Hilton HHonors Diamond CO OnePass Platinum
America West Executive Office - Denies any knowledge

America West Executive Office - America West Executive Office - Denies any knowledge

I sent an email to the executive office in Phoenix about this “Rumor” of US removing power ports on A319/320/321.

The assistant explained that she or her supervisors have not heard or approved such a mandate.

The executive office has been straight forward in the past so I have no reason to doubt them. She also advised me that they will follow up on this “rumor” and let me know if anything changes.

As a Shareholder and Customer I trust America West Holdings ( At this Time)

Last edited by HPDTW; Sep 15, 2005 at 5:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyphl
Looks like the running tally is now: good decisions 0 -- bad decisions 3. Any other changes we're missing?
Make that 4 bad decisions. No pretzels. Not thriftiness--just sign of being cheap.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33
which airlines offer powerports in domestic service?

AA does now, on all mainline flights except a handful of ex-TW 757's. in fact they installed them on the ex-TW MD80's (together with bigger overhead bins) specifically because they'd done the math and this was one investment business travelers would pay for.
From SeatGuru:

American
A300 - Primarily Caribbean
737-800
757-200
767-200 - Transcon and Caribbean
767-300
777-200
MD80

Continential
767-400 - HI/International Only

Delta
737-800
767-400 - HI & Transcons
777-200 - Prim Int but some domestic

Northwest - N/A Domestic

United
A320 - First class only
757-200
757-200 PS
767-300 - First class only
777-200 - First class only domestic config

If you look at the information from SeatGuru, it seems that the majority of the major carriers have been outfitting their newer aircraft with at least some power ports in the aircraft, for domestic use. Even if it is just in first class.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HPDTW
America West Executive Office - America West Executive Office - Denies any knowledge

I sent an email to the executive office in Phoenix about this “Rumor” of US removing power ports on A319/320/321.

The assistant explained that she or her supervisors have not heard or approved such a mandate.

The executive office has been straight forward in the past so I have no reason to doubt them. She also advised me that they will follow up on this “rumor” and let me know if anything changes.

Hmmm, this is strange. I spoke with a Lisa at HP's equivalent of consumer affairs this evening. I politely told her I was calling them because in about two weeking they'd be running the show and wanted it to express my viewpoint on this matter to the soon to be new managers of the airline. The way she spoke it seemed to be it was a done deal. I could have been mistaken, and I hope I am, but she took my information and gave me a case number and said it was unlikely for management to change their minds but if they did would contact me.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

HPDTW,

This is not even close to being a rumor. Any US Airways employee can confirm that on here. It is on the HUB. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A RUMOR. I talked to HP today as well and they are aware of it. So I am not sure who you talked to. You can even go to USaviation.com and go to this simular thread and their are US employees out there that have confired what I have said on here.

Originally Posted by HPDTW

Last edited by US AIRWAYS FAN; Sep 15, 2005 at 8:49 pm
Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
No. You can't just declare yourself a LCC without the low CASM to back it up.
Independence Air thinks they are. The DOT also considers them a LCC IIRC.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Angry

I got this today:

Thank you for your e-mail concerning our decision to discontinue the use of power ports on our Airbus aircraft.

The decision was based on the cost of upkeep versus the usefulness of the power ports and I apologize if this will cause you to be inconvenienced in the future. Please be assured your comments are appreciated.

Mr. XXXXX, thank you again for writing. We hope to welcome you aboard in the future.

Sincerely,
Alyssa H. King
Executive Staff
US Airways Office of Consumer Affairs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.