Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Air shuttle

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:04 am
Original Poster

US Air shuttle

Flying BOS to DCA apparently US Air operates as a shuttle. I've never done a shuttle before with no pre- assigned seats etc. How does seat assignment work on shuttle routes? Do you pick a seat when you check in or do you grab one when you get on the plane? Do you board the plane by order of check in and do people with status board first? I'm not especially picky about my seat on a short flight like this, but I was curious to know how it works and what to expect before I get there. Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by snaffle21
Flying BOS to DCA apparently US Air operates as a shuttle. I've never done a shuttle before with no pre- assigned seats etc. How does seat assignment work on shuttle routes? Do you pick a seat when you check in or do you grab one when you get on the plane? Do you board the plane by order of check in and do people with status board first? I'm not especially picky about my seat on a short flight like this, but I was curious to know how it works and what to expect before I get there. Thanks.
On US Shuttle, you'll get your seat assignment at check-in. A much better deal than DL's open seating policy. Status counts, and they will offer preboarding to elites. At least they did last time I flew the shuttle.

Check in online at 24 hours before departure. You won't get to pick a seat, but I've always been happy with what the computer gave me. If not, change it when you get to the airport.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
On US Shuttle, you'll get your seat assignment at check-in. A much better deal than DL's open seating policy. Status counts, and they will offer preboarding to elites. At least they did last time I flew the shuttle.

Check in online at 24 hours before departure. You won't get to pick a seat, but I've always been happy with what the computer gave me. If not, change it when you get to the airport.
That's right. US Shuttle is pretty much like a normal flight (with standard aircraft) except for the seat assignment at the airport, and status counts. Delta Shuttle is free-for-all seating but the 737s are all-coach with fewer seats (leather ) so that there's more legroom (but no first class) but status doesn't count for much. The two should be pretty comparable and for such short flights, no big difference. Oh, almost forgot, US Airways Shuttle is a triangle between BOS, DCA, and LGA, while DL Shuttle is only really between BOS and LGA. Comair (DL Connection) and American Eagle also operate high-frequency flights on these routes.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Status counts, and they will offer preboarding to elites. At least they did last time I flew the shuttle.

No no no. Status does not mean anything on Shuttle flights. Planes are boarded by rows, with first class and Preferred members invited to board "at their leisure." If there has ever been a pre-boarding process on a Shuttle flight, then it was a mistake on behalf of the agent. When US introduced F class on their Shuttle flights a few years ago, they were very clear that priority boarding would not be a benefit.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat., DL/AA/BA
US Airways Shuttle is a much better option BOS-DCA. BOS-LGA it is arguable, but I fly US for the newer planes, opportunity to upgrade and assigned seating. DL has a new terminal, however I do not believe that they have re-instated full shuttle service from BOS-DCA.

ON US the boading by status experience is variable, especially at LGA, sometimes it is by status, but if they are pushed for time it will be by row. I think the correct procedure is that elites and first can board whenever they wish, without specific pre-boarding, however I am typically late so I might not be the best person to ask. All in all I think yoiu will enjoy the shuttle to DCA. I certainly find it better than mainline.

Last edited by shuttle_boy; Mar 23, 2005 at 5:36 pm
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
ON US the boading by status experience is variable, especially at LGA, sometimes it is by status, but if they are pushed for time it will be by row. I think the correct procedure is that elites and first can board whenever they wish, without specific pre-boarding, however I am typically late so I might not be the best person to ask. All in all I think yoiu will enjoy the shuttle to DCA. I certainly find it better than mainline.

When I flew the Shuttle earlier in the month LGA-DCA boarding was by zone. With Zones 1(F, US1, US2, UA1K and 1P) and 2(US3 and Sig. Visa, and UA2P) boarded first.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA EXPLT 1MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott PLT Premier, SPG Gold, Hyatt PLT, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
No no no. Status does not mean anything on Shuttle flights. Planes are boarded by rows, with first class and Preferred members invited to board "at their leisure." If there has ever been a pre-boarding process on a Shuttle flight, then it was a mistake on behalf of the agent. When US introduced F class on their Shuttle flights a few years ago, they were very clear that priority boarding would not be a benefit.
Well, I was flying out of DCA last week and I'm a premier exec w/ United, when I tried to board out of row order the GA threatened to call security on me.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Mindwurkz
Well, I was flying out of DCA last week and I'm a premier exec w/ United, when I tried to board out of row order the GA threatened to call security on me.
You gotta be kidding me?! Awful...

Last edited by MJonTravel; Mar 24, 2005 at 6:04 am
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Both my trips on the Shuttle this month were by rows; F first, then board from the back of the bus. No mention of elite pre-boarding or at their leisure.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
No no no.
So, are you saying no? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I misspoke earlier when I said elites get pre-boarding. I was taking the elites board at your leisure as the same thing as pre boarding when in truth, it is not the same thing. However, I have been offered pre boarding on shuttle flights as I'm sure other's have. Probably out of habit by the agents rather than procedure. In fact, my last flight was boarded by zone like any other flight.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
So, are you saying no? Sorry, couldn't resist.
NO!

I misspoke earlier when I said elites get pre-boarding. I was taking the elites board at your leisure as the same thing as pre boarding when in truth, it is not the same thing. However, I have been offered pre boarding on shuttle flights as I'm sure other's have. Probably out of habit by the agents rather than procedure. In fact, my last flight was boarded by zone like any other flight.

I agree. It's not supposed to be done, but IS done all the time by agents, most likely out of habit. I've had preboarding on tons of Shuttle flights, too.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Been on six shuttle flights in the past three weeks. Boarding priority was always First followed by row (rear to front). NO elite pre-board! Same policies at all three stations.

Anybody experience problems changing seats? On the two flights where I wanted to switch seats after check-in, the gate agent for the flight couldn't get the computer to change my seat. She ended up blocking the desired seat and writing the number on my exisitng boarding pass.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: US CP
I will be flying my first US Airways Shuttle flight next month and was wondering about the upgrade procedure.

I have already purchased my ticket online and am on the list for the upgrades on all eligible flights, including the Shuttle. Do Shuttle flights upgrade at the 7 day window for CPs, just like a mainline flight? If so, do you then just get your seat assignment from the CP Desk like normal, or do you still have to wait until the check-in to get a seat assigned?

Plus, if you didn't get an upgrade, and you can't select your seats yourself, will the computer look at status when selecting your seat and hopefully put you in an exit row?
Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by kennyboy3
I will be flying my first US Airways Shuttle flight next month and was wondering about the upgrade procedure.

I have already purchased my ticket online and am on the list for the upgrades on all eligible flights, including the Shuttle. Do Shuttle flights upgrade at the 7 day window for CPs, just like a mainline flight? If so, do you then just get your seat assignment from the CP Desk like normal, or do you still have to wait until the check-in to get a seat assigned?

Plus, if you didn't get an upgrade, and you can't select your seats yourself, will the computer look at status when selecting your seat and hopefully put you in an exit row?
I've flown 72 shuttle segment this year, so I consider myself somewhat of an expert!

Boarding is done by rows. Sometimes F passengers get to board before any of the Y passengers; sometimes they are invited to board when the first Y rows are called. Elites do not get priority boarding.

Upgrades clear like all other US flights. I fly on a negotiated corporate rate, which counts as full fare for upgrade purposes, so I can confirm an upgrade, if available, at the time I make my reservation. I've never flown on a restricted fare, but I imagine it would clear, if available, within the applicable window.

Advance seat assignments are never permitted. The earliest you can obtain a seat assignment is when the online checkin window opens 24 hours prior to departure. If you checkin on line, you will randomly be assigned a seat. If you check in at a kiosk or with an agent, you can choose a specific seat. Fortunately it's rare that I have to sit in Y, so I don't really know whether the computer takes status into account when assigning Y seats; it's such a short flight, however, that I prefer to be close to the front, rather than in an exit row, can I can get off quickly.

Last edited by Blumie; Sep 23, 2005 at 8:49 pm
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:42 pm

Programs: US CP
Exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.