Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Baggage Troubles for US at PHL This Past Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:00 am
Original Poster

More Baggage Troubles for US at PHL This Past Weekend

There were more baggage woes for passengers arriving at Philadelphia International Airport after this weekend's snowstorm.

Mountains of baggage were scattered in the US Airways baggage claim area Monday. After the airport opened back up Sunday, many angry passengers had to wait more hours just to get their bags.

But unlike last month's troubles, there were no US Airways volunteers serving food and drinks or answering questions.

US airways blames ice and snow for the problems, but a union source tells Action News that short-staffing also contributed to the baggage pile up.

SOURCE: wpvi.com
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Really, I can't imagine employees not being able to strap on their jet packs and fly over a foot of snow to get to work!!

When you have over a foot of snow it just might, maybe, make it hard to get to work.

No surprise the media latches onto this though. Everytime a mishandled US bag is more than 15 minutes late, they'll be there with cameras and microphones interviewing the sobbing passenger.

In all fairness, Philly needs improvement in many respects, but the media needs to get over the sky is falling US is going out of business immediately because of delayed bags.

Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
US airways blames ice and snow for the problems, but a union source tells Action News that short-staffing also contributed to the baggage pile up.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
There were more baggage woes for passengers arriving at Philadelphia International Airport after this weekend's snowstorm.

Mountains of baggage were scattered in the US Airways baggage claim area Monday. After the airport opened back up Sunday, many angry passengers had to wait more hours just to get their bags.

But unlike last month's troubles, there were no US Airways volunteers serving food and drinks or answering questions.

SOURCE: wpvi.com
See my post in the "Is PHL the worst airport in America?" thread.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:38 am

[QUOTE=NeoOfTheCRS]Really, I can't imagine employees not being able to strap on their jet packs and fly over a foot of snow to get to work!!

When you have over a foot of snow it just might, maybe, make it hard to get to work.

QUOTE]

Ever heard of a weather forecast and advance planning? Seems like US has not for baggage handling or CSR increases to handle increase of calls because of a N'or easter.

Watch the weather, call your staff to get there BEFORE THE STORM...pretty basic.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:24 am

More problems ahead.... Congrats Eagles!

Just Guessing.... could be attendance and bag problems at PHL on Super Bowl Sunday!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:37 am

QUOTE]

Ever heard of a weather forecast and advance planning? Seems like US has not for baggage handling or CSR increases to handle increase of calls because of a N'or easter.

Watch the weather, call your staff to get there BEFORE THE STORM...pretty basic.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Otralot! US Air is a joke of a airline period! Flew into philly (1/19/05) on a US Air co share with United (only good leg) and then got on US Air plane head to San Juan. Waited 1 hour & 55 minutes because they could not get the baggage latch closed. Arrived in SJ-guess what...no baggage...recieved it 8:00pm that night. Left SJ Sunday 23rd waited 2 hours on the plan-guess what baggage latch again. Get into philly-still have 45 minutes to catch plan (no snow to speak of for last 8 hours) guess what no gate...it seems like someone moved the snow into the gate we were suppose to pull up to (now never mind the flight is 2 hours late anyway-it's not US Air fault...what do you want them to check their OWN GATES) so we waited 55 minutes. My plane was long gone by the time I got of the flight-of course the US Air person didn't tell us that she just gave us the gate number and we ran for 15 minutes. Upon our arrival we were told they plane was long gone and to go see special services-believe me nothing special there! After spending 1 1/2 hours in that line-you know what I'll it with this and just say I spent Sunday night in the airport with US Air saying it was all weather related. I'm home now but my baggage has yet to arrive-but that's not US Air fault-just ask them!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Speaking of PHL baggage/ramp issues.......

Last night, my flight from PHL to PIT was delayed from 8PM to 11:30PM. Why this happened is another story for another thread......but to stay on topic:

The passengers boarded the plane expeditiously and sat awaiting push back. Alas, the baggage had not been loaded.....we could see it on the carts outside of the plane and there were NO ramp personnel apparent.

So we sat until 12:30AM until the baggage was finally loaded. THEN, had to wait another 10 minutes to be pushed back.

Weather delays are one thing, but to have our time wasted from consistent inefficiency at PHL is the single issue (IMHO) that will prevent US from surviving or thriving. When alternatives exist (other airlines or other US connecting cities), passengers are taking these other options to avoid the disaster that is PHL.

Go Eagles!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:14 pm

It was totally a joke when I flew from PHL to MUC on Monday night. It took 2.5 hours in order to get someone load the baggage and 1.5 hours to de-ice the aircraft. Finally, it took off at 12:05am (suppose to leave at 8:20pm). The plane arrived Munich at 2:15pm (I should arrived at 10:25am) and needless to say, a lot of passengers missed their connecting flight. I got into my final destination at 5:00pm and I surely missed my conference today.

I would not fly to Munich again unless Lufthansa took over this route.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Same thing happened tonight to me getting out of PHL to CLT. (1/25) Plane was loaded, doors closed, etc....the baggage carts were full and sitting out next to the plane with NO one to put them on.

We sat there looking at the luggage for an HOUR AND A HALF!

More than half the plane missed connections!

Finally, when we noticed life by the baggage carts, it was ONE person loading all the luggage.

Anything going on????????

Originally Posted by HPTunco
Speaking of PHL baggage/ramp issues.......

Last night, my flight from PHL to PIT was delayed from 8PM to 11:30PM. Why this happened is another story for another thread......but to stay on topic:

The passengers boarded the plane expeditiously and sat awaiting push back. Alas, the baggage had not been loaded.....we could see it on the carts outside of the plane and there were NO ramp personnel apparent.

So we sat until 12:30AM until the baggage was finally loaded. THEN, had to wait another 10 minutes to be pushed back.

Weather delays are one thing, but to have our time wasted from consistent inefficiency at PHL is the single issue (IMHO) that will prevent US from surviving or thriving. When alternatives exist (other airlines or other US connecting cities), passengers are taking these other options to avoid the disaster that is PHL.

Go Eagles!
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Originally Posted by Shopfranceinc
Same thing happened tonight to me getting out of PHL to CLT. (1/25) Plane was loaded, doors closed, etc....the baggage carts were full and sitting out next to the plane with NO one to put them on.

We sat there looking at the luggage for an HOUR AND A HALF!

More than half the plane missed connections!

Finally, when we noticed life by the baggage carts, it was ONE person loading all the luggage.

Anything going on????????
From what I observe the IAM in PHL believes that they can do anything and get away with it. They are protected by the union contract and are peeved (for good reason) that they will take yet another pay cut. There will be no repercussion to these actions since US has diminished PIT and put all NE eggs in the PHL basket.

So we will all attempt, unsuccessfully in many cases, to avoid PHL. At some point, the consistent delays in ramp and baggage loading will drive us away from US altogether. Evidently CCY is oblivious to this reality.

Low fares are one component, but consistent on time performance is critical to survival of any transportation business. The poor and worsening situation in PHL is costing US repeat customers and alienating long time flyers.

When someone finds out what is being done to constructively fix this mess, please post it.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by hr8473
I would not fly to Munich again unless Lufthansa took over this route.
Not that it helps now, but in the future if you can stand the connection LH flies CLT-MUC.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Remember the PAWOB marketing campaign???

Does anybody remember the Passengers Arriving Without Bags (PAWOB) "campaign" a few years back??? IIRC, US had ads in Attache or elsewhere expalaining their percentage of PAWOB, and what efforts they undertake to reunite customers with their bags? I'd love to find a copy of that ad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.