Wiki Posts
Search

Not "Your Fault"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Cool Not "Your Fault"

Umm kind of sort of a compliment to US. At least it is a story not about baggage screw ups.

Kristine Lopez wanted to buy tickets from Philadelphia to Tampa, Fla. But when she clicked the "submit" button to book a seat on the US Airways Web site, nothing happened. No receipt, no confirmation e-mail. So she logged on a few hours later and bought more tickets. This time, her purchase went through. But her credit-card bill tells a different story. The airline actually charged her twice - once for the tickets she believed she hadn't bought, and another time for the ones she did. Now Lopez wants her money back for one set. US Airways won't do it, citing its "no refunds" policy. Is she out of luck?

Rest at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6759248/
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
Anytime something like that happens I call up reservations and ask them if they see anything for the first reservation. It's the nature of the internet that even if you don't see anything on the screen, they very well may have processed the transaction on the server side.

And I would have checked my credit card statement online, as most of the companies show the temporary transactions and I would've probably seen the double charge there.

I do think it's bad form for US not to credit her money back though, especially given how flaky the website is, and that it's two tickets for the same itinerary.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:36 am

also isn't there a 24 hour grace period after booking where you can cancel without a penalty?

Some airlines have software that searches for duplicate bookings. Does US?

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dwsnc
also isn't there a 24 hour grace period after booking where you can cancel without a penalty?
Only on UA AFAIK. But then again I am not up to date on US ticketing rules.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Only on UA AFAIK. But then again I am not up to date on US ticketing rules.
Although I've not cancelled a flight within 24 hours, last week US allowed me to change flights about 6 hours after I originally booked my ticket (w/o a charge).

I've also recently had a mini-war with giftcertificates.com with one purchase that went through 3x. They absolutely will not refund the extra purchases. I've not let AMEX deal with them....
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
24 Hours are given

Originally Posted by dwsnc
It's part of the "customer committment" to allow 24 hours. I used this after I booked a trip that I realized left RIGHT as the superbowl was to start last year and got no hassels. At the time I had no status on US and is one of the reasons I switched to them (AA is much worse about this):

http://www.usair.com/customers/custo...nt/#Commitment #5

Sean
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Don't know if the bankruptcy changes this, but if the pax were to challenge the charge with the cc company, she'd win for sure. Same with haveric's dispute. I've had this happen and the cc company has always backed me. Now, this was not for a bankrupt carrier, so I don't know if that would affect the outcome. tls
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've cancelled many flights within 24 hours. But if I remember the details of this story (it was posted on FT a few weeks ago) the person didn't notice the dupe until the bill was received. (IMHO, she should have checked after the initial problem).

US does have a sweep for duplicate reservations at least in some cases - someone recently posted about having a MR cancelled as US couldn't figure why anyone would want to fly between two cities twice in the same day
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:01 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
US, UA, and NW (at least) all have the 24 hour rule, and I think basically all the majors do. Because of the way NW's is written, it can actually be up to 48 hours (midnight of the next calendar day).
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool Stop nursing ignorance.

But when she clicked the "submit" button to book a seat on the US Airways Web site, nothing happened. No receipt, no confirmation e-mail. So she logged on a few hours later and bought more tickets.

Stupid. A simple call to US would have revealed whether or not she had a booking. I'm almost tempted to say she deserved this.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

Stupid. A simple call to US would have revealed whether or not she had a booking. I'm almost tempted to say she deserved this.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame her. The website was clearly at fault here for failing to make it clear whether she had purchased tickets. And furthermore the booking software used by US Air should be intelligent enough to question where someone really wanted to buy two seats on the same flight, under the same name.

As I am sure the individual, probably as a novice flyer wouldn't have thought to call US Air. Sure some of the blame is on her, but I would say most of it belongs to US Air in this case.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:16 am

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by stiphy
It's part of the "customer committment" to allow 24 hours. I used this after I booked a trip that I realized left RIGHT as the superbowl was to start last year and got no hassels. At the time I had no status on US and is one of the reasons I switched to them (AA is much worse about this):

http://www.usair.com/customers/custo...nt/#Commitment #5

Sean
Read this carefully:
US Airways is committed to allowing you to cancel a ticket without penalty within 24 hours of making the original reservation.
Some airline tickets carry penalties or restrictions for changes or cancellations. Other tickets can be changed or cancelled at anytime without penalty. Tickets may have other associated nonrefundable fees. We recognize that travelers' plans may change, and US Airways is committed to providing you additional flexibility in booking your flights.

We Commit:

To allow you 24 hours to change your travel plans from the time of your initial reservation, without penalty. You may cancel a ticket purchased through US Airways reservations, an airport or city ticket office or our US Airways web site usairways.com without penalty within 24 hours of making your initial reservation. The refund process is automatic for electronic tickets purchased and then cancelled within 24 hours. Refunds for paper tickets must be processed through US Airways. Customers purchasing nonrefundable tickets for travel within 24 hours of booking must cancel their reservations with US Airways prior to flight departure to be eligible for the refund. Refunds will be processed for the airfare; some ticketing fees are not refundable, for example, the fee paid for a paper ticket.
Please note, some fares are not eligible for refunds or changes at any time, including some fares offered via the internet.

At my preferred carrier, the ticket can be voided on the same calendar day. If you purchased it today at 11pm,you have one hour to cxl it. After that, if it is non refundable, it is non refundable...period. It can be used within one year and usually the reissue fee would be waived.
Cmon folks, nonrefundable means nonrefundable. Yes, she made a mistake. But when it didnt process, dont just log on and make another--call USAirways Internet department! If they don't see it, yeah make another.

Last edited by snokums925; Dec 30, 2004 at 7:20 am
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:23 am

I think (don't quote me, but IIRC) the DOT law is that domestic carriers have to give you either 24 hours to cancel purchases or you may reserve a ticket and hold it for 24 hours. The carrier has a choice as to which policy they set for their airline.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
Originally Posted by snokums925
Please note, some fares are not eligible for refunds or changes at any time, including some fares offered via the internet.
Has anyone run into this in practice? I haven't yet, though I almost never use the 24 hour thing (mainly because I rarely book directly through US). I don't recall seeing any language about x fare that I might be buying not being refundable in 24 hours. ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.