Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 27, 04, 2:30 am   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Gold Medallian
Posts: 47
Is there a way to convert US Air miles to other programs?

I have miles in my US Air frequent flyer account that I am unlikely to use any time soon (if ever). Is there a way to convert or transfer those miles into any other loyalty program?

Carolina
carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 04, 3:07 am   #2
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: AA, QF, DL, SPG, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 54,690
Not at a one-for-one rate, but at a ruinous rate of exchange...

Still interested?
__________________
You cannot uphold American ideology with un-American actions. It's time for Change.
Spiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 04, 4:40 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PIT
Programs: DL SM, UA, US, AA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff
Not at a one-for-one rate, but at a ruinous rate of exchange...

Still interested?
Well--for a while, points.com was running specials with DM's where with the bonus added in, you got about one for one on point transfers into some other programs.

However, you had to join points.com, which isn't so bad. The other proviso is that you either had to have the US BOA VISA or the US BOA VISA debit card for your checking account. I got the debit card since I am with BOA which then allowed me to transfer miles out through points.com
chicagorich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 04, 6:14 am   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northeast US
Programs: US chairmans, HH gold, starwoods preferred plus
Posts: 296
I just checked - 100,000 DM gets about 5000 AA miles (for a fee) or about enough for one night at a Holidy Inn in priority club. I think I'll stay put.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 04, 6:23 am   #5
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PIT
Programs: DL SM, UA, US, AA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves
I just checked - 100,000 DM gets about 5000 AA miles (for a fee) or about enough for one night at a Holidy Inn in priority club. I think I'll stay put.
That's not too good.

If you watch the specials on points.com, you can get some cheap ways to run up mileage balances. A few months ago, the double mileage offer was with AA miles.

You could sign up for several trial offer through ebay to earn ebay anything points--most offers were free or low cost. By joining points.com as a member for what then was $19.95, you could transfer as many times as you liked for free.

The ebay anything points transferred over to AA points at a rate of about 1.1 AA miles earned for 1 ebay anything point transferred via points.com when the double AA bonus was counted in and the points.com 25% bonus too.

I think I got about 50,000 AA miles and spent maybe $40...
chicagorich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 04, 6:44 am   #6
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Programs: Southwest
Posts: 93
Carolina

I have the same problem. I have about 80,000 miles and have no plans nor do I want plans on USAir. Right now I would exchange them for one Southwest flight certificate.
PSU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 04, 3:11 pm   #7
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 3,012
If you have a US Airways Visa, you can exchange 100,000 US miles into 38,700 Ebay Anything points. Then convert those points to 43,537 AsiaMiles in a second transaction. Not too bad given the current risk of holding a large US balance.
dhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 04, 3:23 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PIT
Programs: DL SM, UA, US, AA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU2
I have the same problem. I have about 80,000 miles and have no plans nor do I want plans on USAir. Right now I would exchange them for one Southwest flight certificate.

Try this site out--pretty much covers the gamut of possibilities for mile and point conversions..


http://webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/
chicagorich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 04, 7:55 am   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: East Glacier Park, MT
Programs: Hilton & SPG Gold, & every airline program that I can join
Posts: 2,022
Looks like the best return for miles is to transfer them to Hawaiian Airlines at 4 miles = 1 mile then transfer them to Hilton at 1 = 2.

So 10000 miles = 2500 miles = 5000 Hilton Points. Not great, but better than nothing.....

JudyJFLA
Remembering when UA miles suddenly could not go to hilton anymore...
JudyJFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 04, 8:09 am   #10
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Looks like the best return for miles is to transfer them to Hawaiian Airlines at 4 miles = 1 mile then transfer them to Hilton at 1 = 2.

So 10000 miles = 2500 miles = 5000 Hilton Points. Not great, but better than nothing.....

JudyJFLA
Remembering when UA miles suddenly could not go to hilton anymore...
Unless you have a USAir Visa and already have a pointsplus membership at points.com. I'm no expert on Asiamiles, but I think 4.35 of them is probably a better value than 5 Hilton points as long as you end up with enough of either to use them on an award. The $30 points.com pointsplus fee and the annual Visa fee may even be worth paying if the amount of miles you want to transfer out is large enough.
dhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 04, 12:48 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Plat.,Delta Plat.
Posts: 193
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagorich
Well--for a while, points.com was running specials with DM's where with the bonus added in, you got about one for one on point transfers into some other programs.

However, you had to join points.com, which isn't so bad. The other proviso is that you either had to have the US BOA VISA or the US BOA VISA debit card for your checking account. I got the debit card since I am with BOA which then allowed me to transfer miles out through points.com
Is this offer still valid
shuttle_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 04, 12:52 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PIT
Programs: DL SM, UA, US, AA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
Is this offer still valid
Looking at the points.com website, the offer for double DM miles is no longer running. They usually start promotions near month's end, so I would check at point.com in a day or so and see what is going on in Jauary for promotions...
chicagorich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 04, 3:15 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Plat.,Delta Plat.
Posts: 193
Exclamation

Thanks for the info
shuttle_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 05, 4:50 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: FLL -> Where The Boyars Are
Programs: AA EXP 1.6 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Posts: 16,665
If you are already a PointsPlus member, you can renew for a year for 4500 Dividend Miles.
__________________
* *
Non-NonRev is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:00 pm.