Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Another Review

I really hate to beat the horse that has been beat so bad this past year and I know that nearly everyone on this board has had a comment or 10 about the CRJ's but...I just made a trip FLO-CLT-DAY. And it was miserable. I'm about 6'3, 220 llbs.

Obviously, the trip out was the smaller DASH-8. The connections from CLT to DAY and return were both CRJ 700's. I felt that I was in a can on those connections - literally. The WINDOWS WERE POSITONED LOW ENOUGH FOR A 4 YEAR OLD - maybe! They are about 6 inches lower than older RJ's. There is ZERO headroom not much different than the other RJ's.

My wife, 5'6", sat by the window on the way back and said same thing. You can get a sore neck if you look out the window for 2 minutes. She also hit her head on the storage bin as we left the last leg. (We are not the average twice a year traveller - both GP on US)

When we got on the final leg to FLO, we sat down in the DASH-8 and felt as though we were in first class on mainline. More head room and the window was in a normal position as most aircarft. The guy next to my wife hears us talking and says, "you know, I just got came through CLT yesterday and was on the 700. It is miserable."

Now, before one of you say this has been covered before, I missed it! I have heard all the fussing about the seats, but folks, this aircraft feels like something you would get for your son from the Mattel toy company.

In the end, I would consider taking the extra 20 minutes on this flight in a DASH-8.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I really wish they hadn't bothered with the CRJ-700 and went all Embraer 170 instead for the ~70 seat market. I know doing both was the way to get the most RJ's quickly, but there is no comparison between the aircraft.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:01 am

I was on an America West Express CRJ-900 earlier this year. The seats were positioned relative to the windows in such a manner that the seat back was actually smack in front of the window!! So in order to look out you had to recline your seat to get it out of the way!! What is Bombardier thinking with these aircraft???
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
I was on a dash 8 on an AC flight and surprised at how much larger it was than the CRJs.

Why are they going away from the prop planes? Slower? Less safe?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Human Rights Offenses

The UN Human rights commission should imprison the engineers at Bombadier. The Canadair jets account for my absolute worst flying experiences. The only thing that comes close is an emergency landing in an ACA J41, but fortunately, those days are over.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:45 am
isi

Maybe the Bombardier Board flew to the meeting on these and that's why they sacked the CEO yesterday.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I also hate the 700. At least on the older RJs there was a 1x2 configuration. I jokingly called the exit row on the single side the CP section. You could almost always get the single side and often the exit as a CP. On the 700 with 2x2 seating that is gone.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I also hate the 700. At least on the older RJs there was a 1x2 configuration. I jokingly called the exit row on the single side the CP section. You could almost always get the single side and often the exit as a CP. On the 700 with 2x2 seating that is gone.
Actually, all of the CRJs I've flown on (since US first introduced them back in what 1997) have 2x2 seating. Only the ERJs (the 145s) have the 1x2 seating.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:37 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by jhpark
I was on a dash 8 on an AC flight and surprised at how much larger it was than the CRJs.

Why are they going away from the prop planes? Slower? Less safe?
Public perception and capacity has something to do with it. Also incentives from airports wanting "jet" service.

Prop planes aren't really that inherently different as far as safety goes, especially modern turboprops. These same modern turboprops are almost as fast as the RJs on segments of, say, 45-90 minutes, and much more efficient. In fact, ASA is looking at the Dash 8-400 for shorter markets where the CRJ-700 isn't economical. On these hour long segments, the turboprop flight time is within ten minutes of the jet.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Public perception and capacity has something to do with it. Also incentives from airports wanting "jet" service.

Prop planes aren't really that inherently different as far as safety goes, especially modern turboprops. These same modern turboprops are almost as fast as the RJs on segments of, say, 45-90 minutes, and much more efficient. In fact, ASA is looking at the Dash 8-400 for shorter markets where the CRJ-700 isn't economical. On these hour long segments, the turboprop flight time is within ten minutes of the jet.
I really did not know that everyone hated the 700 as much as I did. I do have to say, other than speed and a little more noise, the room and comfort of the DASH 8 is good. It will be a long while before I choose a 700 route. Hey (as we say in the south), a one hour flight on the RJ is only 15 minutes longer on the DASH 8. I'll take it so I can at least stand up after the flight.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:59 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
I am thankful to have NEVER flown on either turboprops or RJs. The worst I have flown is a Piper Warrior. :P
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MikeM6090
I really hate to beat the horse that has been beat so bad this past year and I know that nearly everyone on this board has had a comment or 10 about the CRJ's but...I just made a trip FLO-CLT-DAY. And it was miserable. I'm about 6'3, 220 llbs.

Obviously, the trip out was the smaller DASH-8. The connections from CLT to DAY and return were both CRJ 700's. I felt that I was in a can on those connections - literally. The WINDOWS WERE POSITONED LOW ENOUGH FOR A 4 YEAR OLD - maybe! They are about 6 inches lower than older RJ's. There is ZERO headroom not much different than the other RJ's.

My wife, 5'6", sat by the window on the way back and said same thing. You can get a sore neck if you look out the window for 2 minutes. She also hit her head on the storage bin as we left the last leg. (We are not the average twice a year traveller - both GP on US)

When we got on the final leg to FLO, we sat down in the DASH-8 and felt as though we were in first class on mainline. More head room and the window was in a normal position as most aircarft. The guy next to my wife hears us talking and says, "you know, I just got came through CLT yesterday and was on the 700. It is miserable."

Now, before one of you say this has been covered before, I missed it! I have heard all the fussing about the seats, but folks, this aircraft feels like something you would get for your son from the Mattel toy company.

In the end, I would consider taking the extra 20 minutes on this flight in a DASH-8.
While I agree that the 700's are cramped - though in my opinion - still slightly wider than the 50 seaters - you are still much better off on any of the RJ's than the Dash 8. First, because of the noise - it's substantially worse - but largely because of the weather. Spoke with a pilot in ITH one night waiting out a snowstorm to leave in a DASH-8. Apparently, no comparison between the two. RJ's can handle bad weather many times better than a prop and is often the difference between a flight and a cancelled one.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:09 pm

the windows on the CRJ-700 are waaaaay too low. I'm 6'1 and can hardly see anything without contorting my head painfully.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MikeM6090

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.