Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time out with US Air

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

First Time out with US Air

Monday this week saw my first time with US-Air and based on my outward flights (through CLT) ATL - RDU they seemed to be punctual, short check in with friendly crew.

I had booked an A4CCHQ fare so was in the first cabin which may have helped things along, my *G card got me into the club at CLT making the connection a whole lot smoother. In some ways this was a Mini MR as I would normally take a direct flight.

For the return flight, the first leg into CLT was cancelled (Tech problems). It was an express flight so I was sat in Y although still booked in A. This would mean that I would miss my connection and fail to get home.

To the credit of the counter staff they rebooked my into Economy on Delta and got me back to Atlanta about an hour or so later than originally planned.

This raises a couple of questions for you US experts:

As an FTer I was aware that I was on a "First for Coach" fare however unlike other airline which us a YUP coding, my Fare was A coded and booked and confirmed in A. When I booked online through the US webiste I priced out economy and then business and choose (to get the mileage) the more expensive first option. The fare rules for the first fare do not stipulate (that I could see) that I was buying an economy fare with a free upgrade.

By booking on the Express leg I was accepting that I would be in economy rather than first. If I could have got to RDU earlier I would have been on the 737 and in First. The ticket was issued on the A basis.

I had chosen first with restriction so if I had missed my flight, missed check in etc etc then I was happy to have to pay or be accomodated in Economy. When US fail to honour their side of the contract, I feel that I am entitled to some recompense (Missed Mileage and First Class travel)

When I questioned the ground staff and RDU they stated that I was on an Economy ticket so that was all they could offer me on DL. Whilst I appreciate I hadn't paid the full F fare, I had paid extra to be in the first cabin.

Any comments / thoughts / suggestions as to whether it is worth complaining are welcome.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
My understanding is that US will give you miles for the leg you flew on DL if you ask. It was due to their issue that you were unable to fly on your chosen US flight. At least this is how it used to work back in the days...

But since your missed flight only had one class I don't see that they'd think they would agree that you're owed any refund because you didn't sit in F on your rebooked flight.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdhenry
My understanding is that US will give you miles for the leg you flew on DL if you ask. It was due to their issue that you were unable to fly on your chosen US flight. At least this is how it used to work back in the days...

But since your missed flight only had one class I don't see that they'd think they would agree that you're owed any refund because you didn't sit in F on your rebooked flight.
The return flight was two legs both booked in First though one leg would be sat in Economy. This was exchanged for a direct flight in Economy and a later arrival.

It's more of a principle that if I pay extra for First class that the airline shouldn't be able to just decide to cancel a flight and then accomodate the passenger using cheap economy tickets on another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.