Search

Advantages of Chairman's Preferred on United

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2003, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
Advantages of Chairman's Preferred on United

Hi all-happy holidays!

As a newly annointed US CP, I was wondering what benefits I could expect on United. I know that the mileage bonus will be similar, and that I would be able to get economy plus. But are there any special pathways to getting upgraded as a CP on United flights? Can we earn United e-upgrades while using our CP numbers? Also, my understanding is that United 1Ks automatically have access to Star Alliance clubs when travelling internationally. Can we expect this same benefit as CPs for when we are officially admitted to the Star Alliance this year?

Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers,
-mber03755
Old Dec 25, 2003, 10:47 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
1K ticket lines....other than that, I don't see much of a benefit. In fact, I think that only a few airports even have 1K lines anymore.

You can get into E plus without CP status. Accessing *A clubs will happen anyway as a US CP (or club member) since US will be a *A member in 2004.

Upgrades would be GREAT.....but then UA elites (there are gillions of them) would be taking our FC seats on US.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
On longer flights, I've noticed that US elites get preference in ordering meal in F class. I had a UA 757 flight recently and the FA was clearly running down the list to take orders first from the 1Ks, 1Ps, and US1s and US2s.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
In terms of accessing clubs, do 1Ks automatically have access to the Red Carpet Club? Is that why CPs will get access as well, even without US Club membership?

Thats too bad about the lack of upgrade possibilities at UA. I wonder-has anyone had experience trying to get UA to grant status on United equivalent or near equivalent to status on USair. My experience in the past has been that United and American were always pretty stingy about that at the higher levels...

Thanks,
-mber03755
Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I'm starting to sound like a broken record: US elites CAN and DO upgrade on UA. Yes, you need to buy upgrades on UA, but it is possible at a semi-reasonable cost. Personally, I like this approach best as it keeps UA elites from taking F seats on US.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yes. Let me reiterate what USFlyerUS has said. US elites can and do get upgraded on UA. US elites can and do trump UA elites on the UA upgrade or stand-by wait list. US elites are not second class citizens on UA. The rules are different for placement on the list, but elites-where comparable status is present are treated equally.

Let me say this however--US preferreds should not lose any sleep whatsoever about have UA premiers taking seats from them for the following two reasons:

1.) As you know, UA elites on US metal can only upgrade at the gate--despite free upgrades for US elites--it seems like the UA premiers will still have to PAY for them.

2.) I don't think UA elites would really be breaking down the doors to get upgraded on US. UA has a far superior F Class product and that I'd take any day over US

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USFlyerUS:
I'm starting to sound like a broken record: US elites CAN and DO upgrade on UA. Yes, you need to buy upgrades on UA, but it is possible at a semi-reasonable cost. Personally, I like this approach best as it keeps UA elites from taking F seats on US.</font>
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:12 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Yes, but let's specifically define UPGRADE on UA as a PAID UPGRADE. You have to buy UG coupons and wait in queu to be bumped up.

I'm sure most of us (spoiled by US's CP UG policy) consider an upgrade as a FREE UPGRADE, which is not available on UA (expect for an OP UG).
Old Dec 26, 2003, 5:18 pm

As for upgrading on UA as a CP, I've found that F seats are usually available the day of departure and agents will release seats to CPs before UA Premier Execs or Premiers. They really try to accomodate CPs on the day of departure.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
Dumb question, perhaps, but related:

As a CP, I know I can purchase UA upgrades, but how are they banked? In other words, if I purchase 4 for $300 and only need 3 for a particular flight, where does the extra one go? Are certificates issued, or are they electronic? If so, are they tagged to my UA account? Just wondering.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 6:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rhodeweary:

As a CP, I know I can purchase UA upgrades, but how are they banked? In other words, if I purchase 4 for $300 and only need 3 for a particular flight, where does the extra one go? Are certificates issued, or are they electronic? If so, are they tagged to my UA account? Just wondering.
</font>
They're not banked; they print out paper certificates. Not sure whether they could be stored in a UA MP account or not...never tried.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:39 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rhodeweary:

</font>
I believe the price for a set of 4 coupons - 500 mile upgrades is $200.

United Upgrades

[This message has been edited by planeluvr (edited Dec 27, 2003).]
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:58 pm
Wi-Fi

Are certificates issued, or are they electronic? </font>
As mentioned, the certificates are paper. I used some on a flight two weeks ago and the Gate Agent looked them all over like I was trying to pass bad twenties. Apparently they rarely see the paper certs.

Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wi-Fi:
As mentioned, the certificates are paper.... Apparently they rarely see the paper certs.</font>
And my experience is that they forget to collect them about a third of the time!
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:42 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Question Should I get 50% bonus using US FF# on UA# flight on LH metal?

I flew on UA ticketed with United flight numbers on EWR-FRA-TLS and back. The flights were on LH metal.
USAir posted miles only for EWR-FRA-EWR indicating LH flight numbers and nothing for FRA-TLS.
I am trying to get the missing segment miles for two months now without any result. Where do I go with it?

Should I get 50% bonus for UA numbered flights which are on LH planes?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by m44
I flew on UA ticketed with United flight numbers on EWR-FRA-TLS and back. The flights were on LH metal.
USAir posted miles only for EWR-FRA-EWR indicating LH flight numbers and nothing for FRA-TLS.
I am trying to get the missing segment miles for two months now without any result. Where do I go with it?

Should I get 50% bonus for UA numbered flights which are on LH planes?

I don't think you'll get the 50% bonus. I've been a CP for over 3 years now, and fly UAL a couple of times a year and I never get a bonus. At least the segments cound and I can get mileage credit. I haven't had any success getting into United Economy Plus either -- it's just like I'm a passenger without a mileage number at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.