Search

For the Guy Who Reclines His Chair in Your Face

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2003, 1:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
For the Guy Who Reclines His Chair in Your Face

I thought this was priceless. Somebody will probably close the thread because the only example I could find was one with a sales pitch. I assure you, I have no econoomic intrest in the gizmo, but it should really warm the hearts of your average Road Warrior

http://www.kneedefender.com
Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
For the Guy Who Reclines His Chair in Your Face </font>

I sure am glad they don't make these thingies to stop women who want to recline their chair into my face!

(Just ensuring deelmakur's thread REALLY does get locked)

Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Brilliant. The website refers to this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/vacat...e-defender.htm

which references a lively debate on FT. Travelbuzz maybe?
Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Thanks, GEO. I should have known better than to leave a set up line like that, with you out there. I hadn't seen the thing in USA TODAY. Either way, if it works it may rival sliced bread.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:48 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
I'm more interested in a retaliatory strike against jagoffs (like the one I had tonight) who insist on GRABBING the seat in front of them to LIFT themselves up....and SHOVING junk into the seat pocket (and my back).

A couple of quick head turns didn't get the message across. He must have assumed that my seat, and the seat in front of him were somehow detached.

What can I do for this?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:12 am

You could discretely press the recline button right when he grabs your seat back and act like he broke it I've come close to doing this a couple of times, but have never actually done it.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:21 am

When the recliner in front of me gets up to use the lav, I often "re-adjust" his seat for him.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:56 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
I thought this was priceless. Somebody will probably close the thread </font>
Only because it's already been discussed here.

Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:07 am

My whole feeling on this is the following:

People have the right to recline. However, if the person behind you is made uncomfortable (or worse, is in pain), I would hope that the recliner would have the decency to "unrecline" when asked politely.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:42 pm

118 posts on this in the "TRAVELBUZZ" forum at this time.

I guess "some people are to sensitive about "their" space
Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stormin:
You could discretely press the recline button right when he grabs your seat back and act like he broke it I've come close to doing this a couple of times, but have never actually done it.</font>
That's my tactic!
Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Gotta disagree. Passengers have a right to recline their seats. If it is such a big thing to preserve "personal space" then recline your seat. Typically it is only a zero sum game if you want it to be.

I will admit, I don't like it when the guy in front of me reclines into my space, but I will protect his right to do so. . .

Next stop, supreme court
Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:09 pm

NEO - I can assume you are not over 6 feet tall.

Being 6'5" your "zero sum" theory does not work for me. When someone FULLY reclines their seat my knees end up in the seat pocket. Reclining my seat just gives me a better view of my knees denting his/her seat.

Sorry to disagree...but!
Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
There are exceptions to everything. Mike--If I reclined into you, and you politely asked me to put my seat back up because
of your height I would.

But where I take exception is when individuals--barring great height or some sort of exceptional factor--feel that the person in front of them has no right to recline into their space.

I have seen it before where a guy of average build physically pushed (several times)the woman's seat in front of him upright because it interfered with him reading the newspaper. This happened several times until a FA was called and informed the gentleman that the woman in front of him had the right to recline her seat and he could not continue pushing her into an uppright position.

Good topic but maybe this thread does belong in travel buzz. . .

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MikeM6090:
NEO - I can assume you are not over 6 feet tall.

Being 6'5" your "zero sum" theory does not work for me. When someone FULLY reclines their seat my knees end up in the seat pocket. Reclining my seat just gives me a better view of my knees denting his/her seat.

Sorry to disagree...but!
</font>
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:55 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I have a very simple take on this: the person in front of me purchased the seat, and can do whatever they would like with it.

I purchased my tray-table for the flight, and I can do with it what I'd like--including the installation of a nice device on one of the arms.

All that said, this is already being discussed here in TravelBuzz, and that's where the discussion should continue.

/CB4

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.