Wiki Posts
Search

Getting credit for a UA flight that didn't post

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2003, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Getting credit for a UA flight that didn't post

on may 18, soon-to-be-mrs. overpaidslacker (sp) and i returned from syr-bna. for reasons beyond our control, we had to fly different itineraries, and her return flights were aboard ua, connecting through iad. we don't know why (and neither does us or ua), but her syr-iad flight never posted even though her iad-bna flight posted almost immediately.

for such a short leg, we've jumped through a thousand hoops to get it posted, and nothing has worked yet. we called dm and they told us that they couldn't pull the manifest from a united flight so we'd have to call united. we did, and united told us that all we'd have to do is fax the boarding pass to us-dm serive center.

so i called the cp line to get the appropriate fax number, and the one they gave me didn't work (got the "this-number-has-been-changed" recording). i called back, got a different number (from a rep who told me that this approach wouldn't work to get the flight posted anyway), and that number didn't work either -- my fax machine said that the remote machine (theirs) wasn't communicating.

has anybody been faced with having to go to such lengths to have a ua flight posted on your dm account? any tips/tricks would be appreciated. i'm getting terribly frustrated at having to spend so much time correcting a mistake made by the airlines!!

and in case anyone's thinking about asking me to point out to the us/ua folks that she must have been aboard that syr-iad flight since if she weren't, they would have cancelled the rest of her ticket (and remember, her connecting leg posted!) i brought this up to reps at both airlines, and they agreed with me that this made perfect sense, but then went on to explain how none of their procedures have anything to do with "sense".

ahhh...i can hear the members of the board now, asking themselves why they're hemorrhaging money so fast. maybe it has something to do with the frustration people like me feel when they're spending so much time trying to correct THEIR mistake for them and encountering nothing but resistance on their end.

sorry for the rant. i think i need some sleep.

-- he who slacks
Old Jun 6, 2003, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Hmmm...Mrs. Dingo and I flew to Denver on United metal, requested US miles. Mine posted fine in a matter of days, hers hadn't posted a week later. I signed on as her and filled out the mileage request form on USAir.com, miles deposted in two days for both flights.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 6:30 am

Programs: Everyone!
Sorry to hear of your troubles. It is very much a huge pain in the .... I experienced the same thing. I probably faxed my information to US 8 times over 6 weeks before they finally posted the missing UA flight to my account.

Now, you can be sure that I always check to make sure my number and status are reflected on my stubs (don't believe them if they tell you it is really in there and just doesn't show up.)
Old Jun 6, 2003, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds similar to getting UA to post on LH M&M. You can read the threads there if you wish.

To Summarize:

UA demands hard copy of the BP and ticket back(or eticket) be in the hands (no fax, no xerographic copy)of M&M before they will consider awarding the mileage.

To avoid the problem:

The BP must have LH and a M&M full corect number on it.

Keep getting BP's until the US FF number is on it, and the letters US.

How to get the FF number on the BP is in this thread. Print it, and carry it. A lot of UA agents do not know how to do this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/019237.html

edited to include thread.

[This message has been edited by slawecki (edited 06-06-2003).]
Old Jun 6, 2003, 7:48 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
In my limited expereince, if the BP doesn't have a US number on it, you won't get US credit regardless of the agent's promises that your number is in there. Slawecki's advice to have the agent keep trying until a BP is printed with the number is good advice.

But after the numbers never posted, I had no trouble finding a fax number on the US site to send copies of the tickerts & BP's:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Airline Partners
Airline partner miles should be credited to the members account within 90 days of the transaction. To request mileage credit, write or fax the Dividend Miles Service Center, and include name, address, account number and legible copies of the airline ticket(s) and boarding pass(es).

US Airways
Dividend Miles Service Center
P.O. Box 5
Winston-Salem, NC 27102-0005
USA
Fax: 1-336-661-8216</font>
In the case of UA, my understanding is that miles post quickly (days) or they don't post. I waited maybe a month before sending my fax and the miles showed up a couple of days later.

No offense, but I never undertand why anyone with Internet access would call Customer Service for information that can be found online. I think you run too high a chance of getting a bum steer from a human (just like with the IRS).
Old Jun 8, 2003, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I just returned today from my first UA flight since the marketing alliance began. I used my DM card to check in at the kiosk. My itinerary was immediately recognized, but my boarding pass did not indicate my DM # or US status. I asked the gate agent to print me a new boarding pass with my DM#, and after typing a few keys, she handed me a new boarding pass with my DM # and DM status printed on it. Same thing happened on the return. We'll see in a few days if the miles post.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 9:40 pm

As long as your status showed up, you are good to go. If your status is missing, chances are you are going to have problems....................another pointer.....if you use a corporate travel agency and only want to receive US credit - have them remove your UA number from your profile. I have had immense trouble with this. When the agents make the reserve, they just attach all of my numbers and see which one sticks...and even if I tell them (or UA) that I want US credit, for some reason the system insists on grabbing my UA number every time.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Miles for my outbound last Friday posted today. FWIW, I did book the flight over the phone, gave the agent my DM#, and specifically told him not to use my Mileage Plus #. When I checked in at the kiosk, the screen prompted me to input my Mileage Plus #, but I ignored the prompt.

Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jkzahn:
if you use a corporate travel agency and only want to receive US credit - have them remove your UA number from your profile. </font>
We use Rosenbluth and if I fly a UA flight, the UA number automatically goes in. The TA's say they have to phone United and manually make the change with them.

The problem with what you recommend arises when you fly a UA itinerary that isn't all on UA or US metal. Tonight I'm flying from YVR to SFO on an Air Canada flight that shows as a UA codeshare. No US miles for this one, so I need my UA number in the record. Helps reset the vapor clock on my UA miles, at least...

Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:47 am

pdhenry - you are right, I did neglect to think about that situation. Still, in my opinion, it would be easier to show my united card at the gate for that one-off flight than to have to wait 10 minutes at every United check-in to have the UA personnel try and get my ****ed MP number out of the itinerary (it always seems to be a major ordeal).
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I was ticketed on UA metal with a UA ticket (with my US number in the reservation), but my UA flight was cancelled and I was re-routed on American. Has anybody successfully gotten US miles in such a situation?

BTW, I was just trying UA as I am not flying US anymore; glad to have gotten to try AA as well!

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I was ticketed on UA metal with a UA ticket (with my US number in the reservation), but my UA flight was cancelled and I was re-routed on American. Has anybody successfully gotten US miles in such a situation?

BTW, I was just trying UA as I am not flying US anymore; glad to have gotten to try AA as well!

Thanks for any feedback.
There really would be no way in this situation - I could see if it was a US ticket, UA metal or perhaps maybe UA ticket, US metal, but since it was all UA and rerouted in AA I'm going to place my money on "sorry, no" as the response from DMSC.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

Thanks for any feedback.
I am not sure US will credit under these circumstances but you should be able to get it posted to your UA account based on your original PNR, as well as to your AA account based on the actual flight flown.

Double Dip Baby!

Last edited by dcgators; Aug 3, 2005 at 8:40 pm
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks for the feedback-- I guess I'll get a Mileage Plus account and see what works, as I might as well get the miles somewhere. I always seem to be the 1 person who has situations that never happen to ordinarly travelers!
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:04 pm
hawkeyenfo

double credit

When flying UA ticket on UA a/c, here's your best bet: Ensure your ticket has the DM# printed on it. If the miles don't post, then fax it in to the service center as indicated above, but usually they give you your miles without any problem. The next step may be controversial here, but call UA, and ask them to credit your MP account for the flights as well.
This has worked all year long for me, because MP and DM apparently don't ever talk to each other, and UA's service center can't tell if the airline already gave out miles for US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.