No GS is good: the glass is half-real

Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:55 am
Original Poster

No GS is good: the glass is half-real

They are doing us a favor.

Think of all the benefits of scrapping the GS and all related wasteful brouhaha. Here's my top ten:

1. No more buying useless crap with high shipping charges from SkyMall (and a few other places). It didn't save the economy in 2011

2. No more 'no shows' in hotels, supershuttle, etc

3. No more support for Trackitback and similarly useless services

4. Less time wasted with earning and manipulating imaginary points at various E-shmiles and exchanges

5. Fewer screenshots saved and sent when resolving conflicts with managers having no clue

6. No more meaningless driving around many Alamo parking lots in the country to get several rentals a day

7. No more con artists like Energy Plus having a field day

8. Fewer meaningless websites at NetSol, less headache from lousy wines,

9. No messing with serious stuff (LASIK). No more messing up somebody's poetry shows.

10. Less checking every month into March if the last hit was credited on time and posted or you need another fight with the DM

If you're really into it - it's all available. Do you need getAbstract? - get it. Do you need the cranky toolbar to search - get it. Do you need to 'Buy up to Preferred' - buy it.

An opportunity to focus on some real goals in life.

Anything I forget?..
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by b100cks
Anything I forget?..
Yeah, it appears you probably forgot the reason you signed up for FT in the first place. . .
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Last year's GS allowed my gf and me to fly all business class in order to spend amazingly fun times in Seoul, Bangkok, south India and Kuala Lumpur. That was the kind of itinerary that few people could ever afford if paying with cash.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
9. No more messing up somebody's poetry shows.

Anything I forget?..
Haha... i totally forgot about that poetry ticket. I didn't get the poetry, i got some high school band show though.
I'm curious to see what those poetry show must've thought with all the no-shows. Bet they were disappointed
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
What does US make off of the partner transactions?

If 2012 happens it will be my third year participating. This year I specifically extended a late September trip I was going to make by 2 days to give more natural hits. I have a SuperShuttle ride, 2 rental cars, 3 hotels, and Dining for Miles that will incidentally occur. If there is not a Grand Slam those partner points will remain in their native program or be routed to SWA (~$55 in RR credit). US will not see a penny on their books for this activity without a promotion. Additionally I would be inclined to transfer hotel points in that I otherwise would not do give the ratios. How much is there to be gained from selling ~5,000 miles per participant to Hilton/BestWestern/Choice/SPG/IHG?

I can see the waste aspect, I was careful to choose partners and products I would use. Track It Back is defunct but my Skymall, DM Mall, and even wine purchases were above minimum to get something useful.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Yeah, it appears you probably forgot the reason you signed up for FT in the first place. . .
+1
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'm really contemplating whether I do or do not:

a) get your irony
b) get first posters subtle irony
x) just agree with tommyleo about all the wonderful trips which were over most peoples budget having spent time in OZ, NZ, Asia in general..
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ProfNapalm
I'm really contemplating whether I do or do not:

a) get your irony
b) get first posters subtle irony
x) just agree with tommyleo about all the wonderful trips which were over most peoples budget having spent time in OZ, NZ, Asia in general..
By my definition, a) is subsumed within x).
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Anything I forget?..
What a nonsense! Nobody is forced to buy all that crap! It's also fun and it gives lots of miles for cheap money! So, no favor at all!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:29 am

Has it been confirmed that GS2012 will not be taking place?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Has it been confirmed that GS2012 will not be taking place?
No. We're all speculating!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
So far, US has been the preferred program for my partner transactions because of the Grand Slam. If there is no GS12, then I would look at the pros and cons of other programs and it's hard to go past UA and AA having one way awards and partner booking online-at least AA has the partner I would be using more often-QF. So no GS would defintely change my priorities in airline loyalty programs unless they decide to compete with UA and AA in offering better features. UA also allows Australia-USA awards via Asia, though AA doesn't.

In addition to not buying the unwanted crap mentioned above, I would also be more likely to use non-chain hotels through Hotels.com and similar if they were cheaper and more convenient.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
No. We're all speculating!
IIRC, last year they announced it mid August 2011. Around the 15th or 16th I want to say...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: SQ
In all honesty, there is only one real benefit of there being no GS2012: Not having to see our posts re-posted on boarding area by bloggers looking to make $.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
IIRC, last year they announced it mid August 2011. Around the 15th or 16th I want to say...
It was more like late August and effective around September 15th. I just checked my AMEX activity and my Biscoff purchase hit my account on 9/16. It was the first thing I ordered during GS2011.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.