How Are You Going to Use Your GS Miles?

Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I am going to link them to Awardwallet and then look at them every day and smile.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I am going to get Sunset and Cigar Aficionado magazine subscriptions for all of my 234 friends on Facebook.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by User Name
I am going to link them to Awardwallet and then look at them every day and smile.

I think I've worn out the "Update" button on AwardWallet's page these last few weeks.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: US Gold, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I am going to get Sunset and Cigar Aficionado magazine subscriptions for all of my 234 friends on Facebook.
Can I be friend #235 or will that put you over?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by beltway
Wait -- we get miles for doing this?
Ya know, I'm sick of answering these questions for newbies. Please do a search next time or see Post #1 in the "Other Hits" thread.

Mike
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Got 16 hits-totally satisfied. Was able to buy a 25k award back home for xmas time. Feel like its the best thing I can do since my parents are paying for college and all.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
It looks like I'm just going to hoard mine. I've spent hours (2-3 a day) the last three days on the ANA website trying to find combinations for two tickets to Italy next year. I have pages of notes of flights and connections, and I can either get us there one way in Bus and the other in coach, but not the same. The US non-stop from CLT-FCO? 1 seat available but not two.

And the flight schedules I can find are grueling. One combination of double connects gives me a 6 hour layover at JFK going over a day before I really want to go (extra vacation day) and results in 22 hours of travelling. The return has a 6:50 am departure from Venice, a 3 hour layover in FRA and a 4 hour layover in EWR. Add the two hour drive home from CLT and that is a 23 hour travel day!

I thought with enough miles to book business class this would be easier. It's not. It's <insert choice of animal excrement here>. Bah!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Ya know, I'm sick of answering these questions for newbies. Please do a search next time or see Post #1 in the "Other Hits" thread.

Mike
Hey relax Mike. We can barely handle one Beltway. Be nice to the newbies.

PS: I didn't ask that question.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by dwcatty
It looks like I'm just going to hoard mine. I've spent hours (2-3 a day) the last three days on the ANA website trying to find combinations for two tickets to Italy next year. I have pages of notes of flights and connections, and I can either get us there one way in Bus and the other in coach, but not the same. The US non-stop from CLT-FCO? 1 seat available but not two.

And the flight schedules I can find are grueling. One combination of double connects gives me a 6 hour layover at JFK going over a day before I really want to go (extra vacation day) and results in 22 hours of travelling. The return has a 6:50 am departure from Venice, a 3 hour layover in FRA and a 4 hour layover in EWR. Add the two hour drive home from CLT and that is a 23 hour travel day!

I thought with enough miles to book business class this would be easier. It's not. It's <insert choice of animal excrement here>. Bah!
Depending when you want to go, it's probably quite early. Best to keep looking. I'd frankly not even consider US across the pond, the Envoy availability always sucks in my experience. I'll help if you'd like. You'll almost certainly have to double connect since your only single connection options are CLT-FRA on US or CLT-MUC on LH, then on to FCO. Yes, it takes a while but the whole point of being in business or first with lounge access is that it's not as grueling as coach.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dzongrila
Hey relax Mike. We can barely handle one Beltway. Be nice to the newbies.
I am going to use my miles to fly far, far away from the FT servers used by mean people to cruelly taunt me.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I am going to use my miles to fly far, far away from the FT servers used by mean people to cruelly taunt me.
Not a 'taunt' mate, just a mild 'tease'.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Probably next summer's Northeast U.S./Canada trip.

I know that's a rather mundane use of miles, but (a) that's where US flies, (b) those tix are *always* around $500 a pop for us, (c) the CC enables them for 20,000 miles or - more typically with one direction in the mid-tier award - 27,500 miles each, and (d) we're using BA for our primary and longest international trip next year.

If we find a fare deal, then we'd buy that trip and hoard the US miles for a 2013 award to Asia on *A. I'd likely have enough for a couple of J awards...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:36 pm

I think that's a great use pinniped ^

With the CC 5,000 mile discount you save most miles on the lowest awards.

E.g. if you book 5 domestic coach roundtrips you save 25,000 miles total (100,000 miles instead of 125,000). But a 100,000 business r/t to Europe you save only 5% (95,000 instead of 100,000).

One of the best deals with this in mind is off-peak econ roundtrip to Europe for 30k miles. From the West coast to budapest that's a ridiculous redemption, only 5k more than a standard redemption to NYC for instance.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drbobguy
One of the best deals with this in mind is off-peak econ roundtrip to Europe for 30k miles. From the West coast to budapest that's a ridiculous redemption, only 5k more than a standard redemption to NYC for instance.
Except that off-peak awards are only on US metal and US doesn't fly to Budapest.

The closest you could get in the off season would be Munich.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
I'm using the miles for two trips to LHR to visit a good friend that's in grad school at UCL. The remainder of my balance will be used in 2012 for a *A business class trip to either Kenya or somewhere in northern Asia.

And I've already started preparing for GS2012 by stocking up on eMiles and eRewards points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.