Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 13, 11, 9:45 am   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 235
Official start time?

I suppose midnight, but for which time zone?
flyerfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 10:26 am   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,435
USAirways typically uses an Arizona time zone calendar.

I would think that's the right time.

I'm inclined not to start any activity until Thursday, but to each his or her own.
lkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:10 am   #3
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, Amtrak, Alaska, National
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
I'm inclined not to start any activity until Thursday, but to each his or her own.
I too would think US operates on a Arizona time calendar but the partners each have their own quirks and the transmitted activity date is what matters.

I have 6-8 hits I could complete out of the gate tomorrow but the first sweep isn't for 2 weeks after tomorrow so there is no benefit to doing so with significant potential for negative consequences. Thursday will be a productive day online followed by a travel weekend.
__________________
Oh no, ancient Atlanta was more than just a Delta hub.
2014: 25,292 miles, 30 segments, 6 countries
Exiled in Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 12:09 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SYDNEY
Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF qantas club bronze, Hertz PC ,Alaska MVP GOLD ,aerosvit GOLD
Posts: 1,650
I want to buy / gift miles and recieve a hit with the current 100% promo but have no idea when the GS starts.
How many hours from now?
Shanye2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 12:16 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: US Gold
Posts: 4,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
I suppose midnight, but for which time zone?
You can't wait for the promo to start either, huh?
__________________
My incredible photo trip report in OZ/TG/LX F: The departure and the return.
tommyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 1:22 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: US *G, Hilton Honors Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive
Posts: 360
I am in currently in the Far East where it is already the 14th.
I can't sleep (due to jet lag) so it would really be great for me to do all the on-line hits now and not be busy when I get back to work.
But I don't think I can risk it until the 14th in AZ
travellerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 1:28 pm   #7
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DCA
Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerK View Post
I am in currently in the Far East where it is already the 14th.
I can't sleep (due to jet lag) so it would really be great for me to do all the on-line hits now and not be busy when I get back to work.
But I don't think I can risk it until the 14th in AZ
I would wait until Thursday as was mentioned above.
ejh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 1:36 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanye2233 View Post
I want to buy / gift miles and recieve a hit with the current 100% promo but have no idea when the GS starts.
How many hours from now?
The bonus lasts for another 2 days. What's the rush?

The best guess is that the US promo will start about 12 hours from now. Why not wait 36 and do your purchase on September 15 and not fret.
lkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 1:44 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: PriorityClub Platinum
Posts: 265
Why to wait for the 15th when it starts on the 14th?
I will do all "free" hits on the 14th
northernstar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 1:55 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernstar84 View Post
Why to wait for the 15th when it starts on the 14th?
I will do all "free" hits on the 14th
Because it costs you absolutely nothing to wait. The bonus miles will post in two weeks whether you do it on the 14th or the 15th.

There is zero downside to waiting, except I suppose some modicum of psychic satisfaction if you're hugely impatient.

By contrast, there is potential downside to diving in too early, given potential uncertainty about when exactly the promotion will start and what kind of clock partners are using to report transaction date. Last year it was only a problem with one partner, if I recall. The year before, it was a bigger problem with some of the partners posting a day earlier on transactions.

If you have a car rental tomorrow, I can understand. If you're just impatient about getting the free hits that can be posted at any time, well, best of luck. I hope it works out for you. It probably will.
lkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 3:06 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 118
Have we started finding the cheapest hotel stays, car rentals, shoppping mall purchases etc. for the GS promo? I can't seem to find it as a list anywhere. If someone can point to the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
samhoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 3:28 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: HAJ, Germany
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platin, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, A3*G, FB Gold
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoq View Post
Have we started finding the cheapest hotel stays, car rentals, shoppping mall purchases etc. for the GS promo? I can't seem to find it as a list anywhere. If someone can point to the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
look here : "Other partner" hits (not Shopping Mall) [master thread]
maxbluebrosche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 8:51 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbluebrosche View Post
Thank you. Much appreciated.
samhoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 9:07 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ABQ LAX SNA ITO
Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Posts: 214
The other promo that is only available on the 14th is the restaurant.com 80% off discount. It's only on until the 14th. The code is SAVE. I will definitely do this one on the 14th. If it doesn't work out all I lost is $1 and I plan to even use the discount cert so it's not even a loss.
iang000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 11, 9:30 pm   #15
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DCA
Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang000 View Post
The other promo that is only available on the 14th is the restaurant.com 80% off discount. It's only on until the 14th. The code is SAVE. I will definitely do this one on the 14th. If it doesn't work out all I lost is $1 and I plan to even use the discount cert so it's not even a loss.
I'm still going to wait on this one as restaurant.com always has coupons out there for 70-90%. From past experience it's a hassle to deal with partners posting early.
ejh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:20 am.