Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know on Where to Sit on the 777 (Domestic and Old Config)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything You Wanted to Know on Where to Sit on the 777 (Domestic and Old Config)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Exclamation Everything You Wanted to Know on Where to Sit on the 777 (Domestic and Old Config)

United Airlines Seat Maps

SeatGuru.

Please note that Worldwide 3 configuration no longer exists.

777XC and 777XI - Trans-Atlantic, South America and Some Trans-Pacific Routes

777 aircraft flying Trans-Atlantic and South America routes are now all of one configuration, though two types of planes are used on these routes. Designated the 777XC (777-222) and 777XI (777-222ER), they have 12 First Class seats, 49 Business Class seats and 197 Economy Class seats. They are known as "Worldwide 2" on SeatGuru and "International 1" on UA's site.

First Class has twelve seats, in three rows of four. 3A (and sometimes, 3J) is reserved for the reserve pilot(s) on international flights. That being said, if 3J is available, I recommend it. Nice and private and well away from the galley light and noise.

In Business Class, Rows 8 and 9 have 52" of pitch and ~150° of recline. Rows 11-15 have 55" of pitch and ~150° of recline. Some people believe Row 13 has more than 55" of pitch, but I have not used a tape measure when I have sat here.

Economy Plus is Rows 17-26. Row 17 has extended pitch (about 40") and 18-26 have 35" of pitch. The equipment boxes get in the way, a bit, however. The E seat is usually clear underneath, and the C and G seats can usually angle their feet around the box.

The HJ pair for the first three rows are designated for FA rest, and usually are unavailable for passenger booking. These seats have extra legroom and legrests.

Rows 30 through 43 are Economy and have 31-32" pitch. Exit Rows are 30AB and 30HJ and they have "infinite" legroom. 21HJ also has extensive legroom, thanks to being behind the FA crew rest seats.

777XP - Trans-Pacific Routes

777 aircraft flying Trans-Pacific Routes are usually designated 777XP and are 777-222ERs. They have 10 First Class Seats. They also have 45 Business Class seats and 198 Economy Class seats. They are known as "Worldwide 1" on SeatGuru and "International 2" on UA's site.

First Class has ten seats, in six singles on the windows and two rows of two in the center. These planes have a sleeping berth for the reserve pilots, so they do not need an F suite. I recommend 3J. Nice and private and well away from the galley light and noise.

In Business Class, Rows 8 and 9 have 52" of pitch and ~150° of recline. Rows 11-15 have 55" of pitch and ~150° of recline. Some people believe Row 13 has more than 55" of pitch, but I have not used a tape measure when I have sat here. Seats 8AB and 8HJ have been removed and replaced with closets. Seats 9AB are reserved for the Flight Crew to eat meals and may be unavailable on flights of 8 hours or longer. On flights that only need one reserve pilot (ORD/IAD/JFK-Europe), if an F suite is available, the pilot will take that and 9AB will be made available for passengers. Like Seats 9AB, seats 9HJ have "infinite" legroom just like 9AB and are the most desired seats on this type of aircraft.

Economy Plus is Rows 17-26 and has 35" of pitch. Rows 30 through 43 are Economy and have 31-32" pitch. Exit Rows are 30AB and 30HJ and they have "infinite" legroom. Row 17 has extended legroom (40"+), but these planes have a dedicated FA rest module in the upper fuselage so there are no special "FA rest" seats like on the XC/XI and 21HJ has the standard 35" pitch.

Note - On occasion, you will see 777XI aircraft on select long-range international routes (such as between SEA-NRT).

777XA - Hawaii and High-Density Domestic

The final 777 in UA's fleet is the 777XA (777-222). This aircraft has two classes, with the Domestic First seats at 38" pitch, with the exception of Row 1 which is about 42". This plane has Economy Plus, but there is a trick to the seating area. Rows 16 through 24 are Economy Plus all the way across. Only seats AB and HJ are Economy Plus in Rows 25 and 26. 25CDEFG and 26CDEFG are Economy at 31" pitch. Row 27 back are Economy at 31". Exit Rows are 16 and 39. 16AB and 16HJ have "infinite" legroom. 16CDEFG has at least 35" legroom and 40CDEFG I believe is the standard 31", though SeatGuru implies it is more. I have not been back there to confirm.

Domestic Hub-to-Hub Flights

If you are flying between hubs in the United States, it will depend on where your 777 came from or is going to, to determine the type. If it originates from or is on the way to Europe or South America, expect a 777XC/XI. If it originates from or is going to the Pacific, expect a 777XP. Some West Coast to Europe non-stop flights may be served with 777XP aircraft. Also note UA is flying some two-class planes between hubs (ORD-SFO, comes to mind). These planes usually continue on or come from Hawaii (as I have been served Hawaiian Service napkins in First). Consult the seatmap when booking to be sure, or perform a "false booking" to see the seatmap for your plane.

Always Check the Seat Map!

Aircraft substitutions can happen, more so on Trans-Atlantic then Trans-Pacific routes. With the 777XC and 777XI having the exact same seatmaps and configurations in all three cabins, you'll probably never know there was a swap. 777XP / 777XI swaps can affect First (you lose or gain two seats) and Business Class (you lose or gain four seats) bookings.

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Nov 29, 2005 at 9:39 am Reason: Added First Class info
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Nice job, Tigger! One questions pops to mind: What about "domestic" 777s, e.g., DEN-HNL? Are these still 2-class?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Great Job!!! ^ ^

It helps me a great ideal on seat assignment selection for my upcoming transpac flgihts.

Any idea the number of planes in each configuration after all the conversions are done? (including the HNL Shuttle flights)
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:15 pm

Excellent summary. Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Thanks!!!! Anyone else think this would be good for a sticky at the top of the forum?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thumbs up Kudos and a clarification question

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
777 aircraft flying Trans-Pacific Routes are of two types - "converted" and "original". Both are designated 777XP and are 777-222ERs. All have 10 First Class Seats.

"Converted" aircraft have 45 Business Class seats and 198 Economy Class seats. They are known as "Worldwide 1" on UA's site and as "International C" on www.seatguru.com.

In Business Class, Rows 8 and 9 have 52" of pitch and ~150° of recline. Rows 13-15 have 55" of pitch and ~150° of recline. Seats 8AB and 8HJ have been removed and replaced with closets. Seats 9AB are reserved for the Flight Crew to eat meals and are unavailable on flights of 8 hours or longer. Seats 9HJ have "infinite" legroom just like 9AB and are the most desired seats on this type of aircraft.
Add my thanks for this. One point of clarification. Do I understand that the trans-atlantic 777s have not had 8AB and HJ removed similar to what you have described for the Trans-Pac? I thought I had read somewhere (perhaps on the earlier thread) that the row 8 mini-cabin conversion was to be fleet-wide.

Makes a difference what I want to book as I go to LHR.

Thanks again for this
Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cawhite60156
Thanks!!!! Anyone else think this would be good for a sticky at the top of the forum?
This is a meta-issue, but I hope the UA board does not make a direct sticky for this. They are using stickies over in the US board, and I find that it makes it junky/unorganized in my opinion.

Instead, I would rather see 1 sticky that has links to the important threads (fare codes, 777 seats, etc.), much like a UA-board FAQ.

BillJ
Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by wcj1
This is a meta-issue, but I hope the UA board does not make a direct sticky for this. They are using stickies over in the US board, and I find that it makes it junky/unorganized in my opinion.

Instead, I would rather see 1 sticky that has links to the important threads (fare codes, 777 seats, etc.), much like a UA-board FAQ.

BillJ

Oooooh!!!!! Much much much better idea!!!!! ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Wonderful, thanks. For one IAD-FRA flight in Y in October I am currently booked in seat 17A and will be happy to stay there as it looks. Thanks to SEATigger from the Netherlands.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Nice job, Tigger! One questions pops to mind: What about "domestic" 777s, e.g., DEN-HNL? Are these still 2-class?
For the most part, yes, two-class (777XA) aircraft fly to and from Hawaii and the US mainland. On occasion, three-class 777s (probably XPs) and even an occasional 744 will make an appearance when loads are really high or there is a mechanical on the scheduled equipment.

Originally Posted by dennis in denver
Do I understand that the trans-atlantic 777s have not had 8AB and HJ removed similar to what you have described for the Trans-Pac? I thought I had read somewhere (perhaps on the earlier thread) that the row 8 mini-cabin conversion was to be fleet-wide.
Only the 777XP model loses 8AB and 8HJ, dropping to 45 Business Class seats. Both the 777XC and 777XI maintain a full 49 seats. So unless a 777XP happens to pick up the run, you can expect to see a complete Row 8 to/from Europe and South America.

A "catch-all" sticky thread with links to these threads works for me, wcj1. I too would not like to see a ton of "sticky" threads at the top. I just note most people ask about 777 seating and UA fare codes, which is why I recommended those two for "stickiness".

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Apr 26, 2004 at 3:12 pm
Old Apr 26, 2004, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
thanks again

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
For the most part, yes, two-class (777XA) aircraft fly to and from Hawaii and the US mainland. On occasion, three-class 777s (probably XPs) and even an occasional 744 will make an appearance when loads are really high or there is a mechanical on the scheduled equipment.

Only the 777XP model loses 8AB and 8HJ, dropping to 45 Business Class seats. Both the 777XC and 777XI maintain a full 49 seats. So unless a 777XP happens to pick up the run, you can expect to see a complete Row 8 to/from Europe and South America.

A "catch-all" sticky thread with links to these threads works for me, wcj1. I too would not like to see a ton of "sticky" threads at the top. I just note most people ask about 777 seating and UA fare codes, which is why I recommended those two for "stickiness".

Thanks for the clarification. I'm staying in row 13 for my November LHR.
Although you would think that it would make sense to convert the Trans-Atl 777s as well. I suppose it could have something to the loads to Europe, but then who knows.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
13 is the best row!

My .02$

13 is the best row, I am certain there is extra leg room. I have the feeling that my 37 inseam is 14 inches from the seat in front, compared to only 12 with rows 12, 14, 15.

11 is no good, BH,
15 is just too close to E+ for such a long flight.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:35 pm

Quick note, the 777XPs loses one of it's four lavs in the center of the Y section. Also it does not have the 6 crew rest seats in Y that the XC and XI have. Now I just have to put nose numbers with the XC and XI and I havent seen a XP on the east coast in some time.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:32 pm

Location: Washington, DC and Cambridge, MA - School Marietta, GA - Home
Programs: United - Premier Executive
Economy Seat Choice

I know this question has been debated previously on the Forum, but in light of the recent UA reconfigurations, I will recycle it. I have always taken 17C on the 777 in Economy. I like this seat because it's bulkhead, meaning it's closer to the front and it has always had loads of legroom. Is there any reason to believe that row 17 will no longer have the loads of legroom and that I should finally consider row 30 in Economy? Row 21 has also been thrown around in this debate - is there a reason to consider it as well?

By the way, I agree with those who like row 13 in United Business, but you all have much more experience than I do - I am a humble recent college graduate.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would imagine Row 17 was unchanged, but even if it is closer (at the 35" Economy Plus pitch), 17C and 17G would still allow you to sneak your feet into Business Class as the bulkhead does not extend fully across those seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.