Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Might be time to move. One more straw will just about do it.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
I'm not at all saying I like this change - It is a very poor decision on a lot of fronts, as other have stated in the 23 previous pages.

However - just a small thought for everyone.

Let's for argument sake assign truth to the claims that most FT members speculate about, even though not fully proven, that XN=X, RN=R, and IN=I.

Let's also take a leap of faith that Expert Flyer will still have access to R,I, and X inventory via GDS, and not web scrape, as seeming to be confirmed in the email they sent, as well as other's statements here.

We will also speculate Expert Flyer gets GDS to tell them R, I, or X >0 and we use the first assumption that *N=X, I, R inventory - then the conclusion we could draw is that there is not any significant functional differences from Expert Flyer on Friday, compared to today.

Of course this all goes out the window when UA IT and Inventory Management actually, on a regular basis have RN>R, IN>I, and XN>X - but that is another issue all together.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
I'm not at all saying I like this change - It is a very poor decision on a lot of fronts, as other have stated in the 23 previous pages.

Let's for argument sake assign truth to the claims that most FT members speculate about, even though not fully proven, that XN=X, RN=R, and IN=I.

Let's also take a leap of faith that Expert Flyer will still have access to R,I, and X inventory via GDS, and not web scrape, as seeming to be confirmed in the email they sent, as well as other's statements here.

We will also speculate Expert Flyer gets GDS to tell them R, I, or X >0 and we use the first assumption that *N=X, I, R inventory - then the conclusion we could draw is that there is not any significant functional differences from Expert Flyer on Friday, compared to today.

Of course this all goes out the window when UA IT and Inventory Management actually, on a regular basis have RN>R, IN>I, and XN>X - but that is another issue all together.
I don't believe that R is available via GDS.

Dave
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pete4212
What is this 1995? Servers and bandwidth are the cheapest resources you have available to you. Since your consumers are using ExpertFlyer instead of going to United.com directly for searches, there was no loss of "bandwidth", the search was going to happen regardless, via EF or not. EF also never asked us for a password to login to United.com, so maybe you're confusing them with the websites that login as their users to get point/mile balances. It would be nice if you gave us a non boiler plate answer.
Nope...same exact behavior as the companies which accessed account balances by scraping.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Expert Flyer has repeatedly said (including in posts on Flyertalk) that it does not screen scrape but instead provides its subscribers with access to the GDS.
They haven't really said that in a few years now, mostly because (as this thread and a few others recently have made abundantly clear) it is simply not true. It used to be. It no longer is.
Originally Posted by nnn
Interesting that all of United, ExpertFlyer, and KVS are so vague as to why EF is losing the info and KVS is keeping it.
KVS "scrapes" locally rather than from a server. That's the basic difference. It makes stopping KVS very, very, very difficult.

Originally Posted by tom911
How certain are you that EF is scraping the UA website?

Here's a post from an FTer in 2008 with info EF provided him:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10581466-post1.html

Do you have any reason to believe this information is still not correct? This same thread has activity as recent as last month.
There is overwhelming evidence that things have changed since 2008.
Originally Posted by Surftel
This is complete nonsense. I can understand why you would push this myth but anyone who deals with datacenters and internet capacity knows this is nonsense.
It is more about processing power and query handling than data transfer bandwidth. Each of the automated queries takes resources. Running 7 days worth of queries in the same amount of time as 1 human-issued query uses a lot more processing power. Factor in all the alert queries which are run without user interaction and the load placed on the UA systems is much higher than without the scraping in place.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Because both services screen scrape that data, but KVS does it from your own computer while EF does it from their servers, so United can easily block EF but not so easily block KVS (since KVS queries look like they just came from you using your browser.)
:-:
Originally Posted by johndoe123
If the data can be obtained from a GDS, I thought expertflyer would pay the GDS for traffic/hits, and the GDS hits themselves would not affect United.com's system consumption or bandwidth. Maybe, I don't know how GDS works. However, I figured it would offload the query cost on the poller.
The data in question is not published in a GDS.
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
You don't actually have to mouse-over every link. Use the magical tool! @:-)
Yup...still works great: http://blog.wandr.me/2011/07/expert-...ntinental-com/
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
That is the first time I have seen a coherent statement about the difference between how KVS and EF access data. If true, it calls into question the veracity of several statements made by EF and proponents of EF (some of whom have viciously attacked KVS for years).
Things have changed over the years. It wasn't always this way.
Originally Posted by sfoflyer12
The claim about the bandwidth is jaw dropping.
The fact that UA can't afford $50/month in bandwidth is almost sad.
Almost as jaw-dropping as the conclusion you jumped to which ignores the real cost of the queries.
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I believe that bandwidth was really a stand-in for computing power. But either way.
@:-)
Originally Posted by Lurker
I wrote an email today:
What did you expect? You complained to UA about a company they have no business relationship with. They told you to speak with the people who are responsible for the product you're having trouble with. That shouldn't be a surprise.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAgeek71

This is completely wrong.

First of all, XN is regularly higher than X. So losing XN does mean something. Unlike losing IN, which is meaningless, since IN is never greater than I.

Further, the report is that EF will lose all upgrade inventory data - R, RN, and ON. I don't know where you got the idea EF will continue to have access to R. If that were the case, this thread would not already be 25 pages long.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by eagle007
Can't imagine this is REALLY about bandwidth...
It's not the internet bandwidth, it is the database bandwidth. When you use the EF +/- feature, it is doing many searches in parallel, and displaying the results on one screen.

Consider a provider who says "easier to use - we will download from your bank an up to date statement every 5 minutes, compare it to see changes, and notify you when a new charge is made." Obviously the bank will say that is not reasonable use.

That is a very inefficient and expensive way to get the data. SImilarly, EF method is clearly creating significant load on UA IT systems, compared to the resulting data.

To a technical IT person, this is obvious. There are more efficient ways to get the data, and you can argue that UA should work on that, but it is quite reasonable to me to block the automatic repeated frequent wide searches.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Just curious how often you actually find R space in INTL flights when booking using EF?

I never see it in advance when booking.
Most likely because such is quite rare.
I just got back from London using r-space that I had booked
a few weeks in advance after looking through the various
gateways doing non-stops to Heathrow across 2 or 3 weeks
worth of flights.

Takes (soon took) just a few minutes with EF to check this but
maybe an hour per search via united.com (which I will not try).
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bseller
I don't believe that R is available via GDS.
Does UA's Expert Mode permit searches that would confirm that there are nine R upgrade seats available? I just ran several searches on EF for R/RN inventory for various UA international flights and for some flights, EF returned R9, RN9. That maximum of nine matches the maximum inventory that is displayed on the GDS for UA inventory buckets.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:48 am
Suspended

Much ado over nothing...

When Hertz and Avis etc etc stopped Auto Slash from being to rebook you at a new lower rate, did everyone simply stop using those companys? I bet not 1 person changed who they rent with.

EF isnt that old what did everyone do before they came on the scene? You will simply have to go back to what you once did.

I was never a member of EF either for free or paid. Over the yrs Ive flown on countless award tkts and usually found it all on PMCO or PMUA searching manually. It seems thats what everyone will have to do once again., no more short cuts for those willing to pay for it.

I find it odd that EF hasnt posted to this thread and informing everyone of the facts as they see it.

Sorry but its great to know that the playing field is gonna be alot more level going forward
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by craz
EF isnt that old what did everyone do before they came on the scene? You will simply have to go back to what you once did.
A lot of flew with pmUA, where the upgrade process was fair, transparent, and proceeded in real-time without shenanigans or priority for TOD. Under such circumstances, the only point in checking was at the booking stage, if you were flexible, to pick any option where upgrade space was already available for instant confirmation. The 1k agents were very happy to help. If no upgradable space was available at the time of booking, we could relax in the knowledge that UA would process the upgrade at any point up until departure if space became available. So yes, I think we'd be very happy to take your advice if there was a way of going back.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
A lot of flew with pmUA, where the upgrade process was fair, transparent, and proceeded in real-time without shenanigans or priority for TOD.
Transparent? Ha. There was no way to see your waitlist position for an upgrade after the flight went to airport control whereas now we have a real-time waitlist available on your phone, online, and at the gate. Huge improvement over the old days. Yes, I was exclusively a PMUA flier.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by unavaca
Transparent? Ha. There was no way to see your waitlist position for an upgrade after the flight went to airport control whereas now we have a real-time waitlist available on your phone, online, and at the gate. Huge improvement over the old days. Yes, I was exclusively a PMUA flier.
You are right, transparency is not the correct word - I should have said robustness (although the current "transparency" is somewhat belied by the existence of two waiting lists, one visible and one invisible, with an intransparent relationship between them). With pmUA you could be confident that you would not drop off the waitlist, or be bypassed by a TOD sale. Moreover, the waitlist did not close 24 hours before departure.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:08 am

The problem is the design architecture. UA updates thousands of data points and the only way an outsider (EF) can see what has changed to is query point by point. So EF or KVS keeps querying the same points over and over only to learn that most have not changed. If UA released all the changes in bulk to EF, they wouldn't have to hit the DB over and over.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
With the chatter on going back to using Expert Mode I am seeing that I have to login and modify my account preferences with each visit to the web site. Is that normal? It's not an attribute I can set once and then have it always be there?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RockinRon
With the chatter on going back to using Expert Mode I am seeing that I have to login and modify my account preferences with each visit to the web site. Is that normal? It's not an attribute I can set once and then have it always be there?
You only have to turn it on once. But your account has to be "fully" logged in to use it - you need to enter your username and password. If you go to the United website, even if your name is on the top-right, you have to click on a reservation or view your full MP account details, fill in your username and password and then it will work for that session.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.