Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC to Lisbon: UA64 or TAP104

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Haven't flown TAP long-haul, but I found their intra-Europe C product fine (even with printed menus for lunch on GVA-OPO!).

That being said, I did research TAP for longhaul, and agree that UA is the way to go, not even factoring in the fact that TAP has had it share of strikes/threatened strikes in the past couple of years.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by MissMiles
so I will be in first class at 50k miles.
no, you will be in business

United here for seat and scheduling... 5:50am is too early to arrive in Europe.

TAP is fine, but flat seat>non flat anyday.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Another vote for UA.

Food, seat, and service will be better, IME.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Hi there. I don't know why there are so many TAP detractors on FT today, but it's a great little airline and I enjoy flying with them or Portugalia whenever I have the chance.

I have flown both the UA 757 and the TP A330 across the pond, so it is with some authority that I suggest the following, which is what I do when I fly to Lisbon: Split the difference and take UA BusinessFirst flat seat for the redeye over and TP Executive Class for the daytime flight back.

UA wins for seat comfort and entertainment, but TAP will have a more spacious cabin, better service, and markedly better food and booze. Celebrity Lisbon chef Vitor Sobral consults on the menus, and Portuguese wines taste great at altitude. Yes, the TP seat is better for eating, working, and lounging than for an eight-hour sleep but for a relatively short daytime crossing it does the trick and then some.

Regardless of what you end up doing, check out the TAP lounge at Portela airport. It's design forward (or at least it was) and it's very well catered with local delights.

(As an aside, the non-stop flights from EWR to LIS arrive Lisbon very early in the day, so for less jetlag, a better night's sleep, and the ability to check into a hotel immediately upon arrival I might even suggest flying later in the day to somewhere else in Europe and connecting).
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: Most at varying levels of elite-ness.
Here's our look at the UA 752 seat I got awhile back. (This was the 16 seat in BE version being used on a transcon route so the service/food is different.)

TAP is on my wish list. Let us know how it goes if you go that way.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
I've had good experiences on TAP - always on time, very friendly service. I've never flown them over the Atlantic (at least not over the whole Atlantic) though, only OPO-FNC-LIS-HEL. No matter which *A carrier you're flying through LIS, make sure to use the TAP lounge - comfortable and good food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.