Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does waiver of same day flight change fee extend to 1K companion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:12 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

Hi,

1K with upcoming flight & companion booked on same reservation, fare class.

Does the waiver of the flight change fee for me as a 1K within 24 hours of flight also apply to companion?

Can you cite a reference within MileagePlus rules, I could not find any.

Thanks for your help. Happy flying.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by mkr
Hi,

1K with upcoming flight & companion booked on same reservation, fare class.

Does the waiver of the flight change fee for me as a 1K within 24 hours of flight also apply to companion?

Can you cite a reference within MileagePlus rules, I could not find any.

Thanks for your help. Happy flying.
Yes if you're on the same record both of you will have the fee waiver. I've experienced it first hand.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:22 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Yes if you're on the same record both of you will have the fee waiver. I've experienced it first hand.
Thanks SEA1K4EVR. I could not find this clearly described in the MileagePlus Premier benefits section or change fee section. It only states the policy by Premier status.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Originally Posted by mkr
Thanks SEA1K4EVR. I could not find this clearly described in the MileagePlus Premier benefits section or change fee section. It only states the policy by Premier status.
Also if you approach an agent at the airport (or by phone) you will probably be successful on separate reservations as they're so used to splits due to CPUs.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:32 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex_b
Also if you approach an agent at the airport (or by phone) you will probably be successful on separate reservations as they're so used to splits due to CPUs.
Thanks alex_b. So what you are saying is that in the case of separate reservations they would only waive the fee for the companion if originally on the same record but later split off because of the computer sweep for CPUs?

Last edited by mkr; Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 am Reason: typo fix, words added for clarity
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkr
Thanks alex_b. So what you are saying is that they would only waive the fee for the companion if originally on the same record but later split off because of the computer sweep for CPUs?
Why would they in the other instance (totally separate reservations)? That is not a definition of a companion.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:58 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Why would they in the other instance (totally separate reservations)? That is not a definition of a companion.
Depends on whose definition of "companion" one is using. Might I be traveling with a companion who has a separate reservation? (Just seeking clarity.) ["It all depends upon what 'is' is." ...President Bill Clinton)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As a practical matter, if you show up with some dude and say "we're travelling together, I'm a 1K, we both want to SDC on this flight," I don't think counter agents will check to see about whether the person was ever on the same PNR.

The SDC benefit for companions is unwritten, I think, but it's real and oft-used.

Lots of companion benefits, such as E+ and at-gate CPU's, apply to companions on different PNR's even if the "rules" say otherwise. No reason for this to be treated any differently.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:33 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
As a practical matter, if you show up with some dude and say "we're travelling together, I'm a 1K, we both want to SDC on this flight," I don't think counter agents will check to see about whether the person was ever on the same PNR.

The SDC benefit for companions is unwritten, I think, but it's real and oft-used.

Lots of companion benefits, such as E+ and at-gate CPU's, apply to companions on different PNR's even if the "rules" say otherwise. No reason for this to be treated any differently.
Thanks mgcsinc.Does anyone have first-hand experience with this?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mkr
Nope, but I think there are reports over in the SDC thread.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:16 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mkr
Yes. Flew with my wife and daughter, split the PNR so that my daughter and I got CPU, and wanted to SDC over the phone. Agent mentioned that technically he was supposed to charge SDC fee for my wife, but waived it without even asking (and thanked me for being 1K). I believe I've also done the same thing once when we were booked on separate PNRs from the get-go.

Haven't tried it with random dudes, though.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just saw this mentioned today on the MommyPoints blog and was intrigued -- especially since, on two occasions, I've previously been told by phone rez that my companions would have to pay the change fee! (I decided it wasn't worth it and kept our original reservation).

So is this actually "policy," or just random chance?

It would certainly be a useful benefit when travelling with the family on discounted tickets where better (more expensive) flights might otherwise be available (or your plans change).

And I'd be interested in how this would work when you start splitting the record before departure in the (often futile) hunt for upgrades. And, perhaps, you might want to switch your flight if upgrades seemed more available on a different flight.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I just saw this mentioned today on the MommyPoints blog and was intrigued -- especially since, on two occasions, I've previously been told by phone rez that my companions would have to pay the change fee! (I decided it wasn't worth it and kept our original reservation).

It would certainly be a useful benefit when travelling with the family on discounted tickets where better (more expensive) flights might otherwise be available (or your plans change).

And I'd be interested in how this would work when you start splitting the record before departure in the (often futile) hunt for upgrades. And, perhaps, you might want to switch your flight if upgrades seemed more available on a different flight.
I am almost certain it's policy, Ive done this at least 5x this year. Ive even had as many as 4 people on the same PNR do a SDC with no fee. Not sure what the official policy is but only once i was questioned and when the agent spoke to a supervisor they made the change without issue.

Edit: it will get a little more difficult if the reservation is split but still do-able , ive needed to speak with an agent at that point. YMMV
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx

On intact two person PNRs I've had $0 SDCs offered to me via the app and website so I believe it is policy. For split reservations you'll need to talk to someone to SDC the non-elite companion.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:06 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Same reservation - yes
Post spilt from previously same reservation - yes
Separate reservations - no

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.