Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
UA switched to a tri-color bag handle wraps (in post 233) in Feb 2024.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

older wiki content
UA switched to Blue bag handle wraps (picture below) in late 2019/early 2020 from the previous Yellow/Gold
UA started distributing the blue version and due to COVID cutbacks stopped
In Feb 2022 some distribution has restarted, unclear who is receiving these initial wraps

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery
New Blue (2019/2020 version)

Old Yellow / Gold

Thread archive:
UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS

Just spoke with MileagePlus to roll over 80 +P points that were set to expire by end of January 2020 and request a new yellow handle wrap for Mrs. Laughinlab. They told me that the yellow handle wraps are going away and will be replaced with Robin’s Egg Blue wraps that will be sent out in the new welcome kits for 2020.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is normal that they do not send new wraps out between about December and Februrary.

As for the yellow to blue change: they are really committed to shaking off all the legacy 1K flyers!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Well I always wondered if they would change the look....seems like anybody who has ever been a 1k at any time over the past few years gets grandfathered in by keeping the yellow ones.....
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Well I always wondered if they would change the look....seems like anybody who has ever been a 1k at any time over the past few years gets grandfathered in by keeping the yellow ones.....
Grandfathered in to the random possibility your bag comes out sooner on RJs . . .
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I first read that as "change the lock." Which is conceptually exactly what they're doing
atword likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Yellow is CO color palette. Oscar finally erased it as a corporate color. Makes sense.

transiting FRA and MUC this past week though, LH has a Taj Mahal effort on its hands to rid the yellow. Everything there is yellow.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
My better half and I checked our bags at MEX and left the wraps on the handles ... both bags arrived at SFO with them removed ... no doubt currently being flogged on eBay as we speak. Hopefully the new blue will nip some of that in the bud.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by greenpau
My better half and I checked our bags at MEX and left the wraps on the handles ... both bags arrived at SFO with them removed ... no doubt currently being flogged on eBay as we speak. Hopefully the new blue will nip some of that in the bud.
Nah - the blue ones will be valuable. Your next trip you'll have the blue ones removed, to be replaced by some useless yellow ones.
Lori_Q and TravellingMan like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Yellow is CO color palette. Oscar finally erased it as a corporate color. Makes sense.
And I thought they were yellow because of visibility, not because of some corporate thing.
notquiteaff and Kannai like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
And I thought they were yellow because of visibility, not because of some corporate thing.
Purple would have worked.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
Nah - the blue ones will be valuable. Your next trip you'll have the blue ones removed, to be replaced by some useless yellow ones.
Oh, agreed ... I meant killing the existing "black market" for the yellow ones ... I am using superglue with my robin's egg one.
drewguy, riphamilton and AceReport like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I first read that as "change the lock." Which is conceptually exactly what they're doing
I’d think they’d keep yellow through 2020 and the send new a new color out as people qualify for 2021, as that’s the year status reflects the new hurdles.

I don’t use them anyway - makes grip more difficult and I’m rarely on a RJ where it might be useful.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Smile

The "lookalike" handle wraps also have to change. I see a lot of look alike Yellow handle wraps that were aimed to mimic the real thing. EBay sellers have to order the right blue...
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Say what you will, I have *excellent* success with the baggage handles making a difference when gate checking. Even at EWR, it works and works well. 1K bags always come out first.... zero complaints from me. Suggest having them on the "top" vs. "side" handle of your carryon bag, though. I think they're easier to see that way when lined up on the luggage carts.
Kannai likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by greenpau
Oh, agreed ... I meant killing the existing "black market" for the yellow ones ... I am using superglue with my robin's egg one.
that’s a great idea. now i just have to find a bag that will last as long as the superglue will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.