Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(April Fool's Day) "Secret memo" reveals "interim" merger plan.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Apparently, airline executives anticipated the problems involved in merging two brands, both of which commanded considerable loyalty. A leaked memo reveals an "interim" phase originally planned for the merger that would have "acclimated" customers of both airlines to the merger. It included the following:

- The airline would operate for 18 months as "Continited" and "Unitenental."
- Livery wouldn't be changed, but boarding passes and marketing collateral would include the new names.
- Gate and check-in desks,club rooms and airside customer service positions would be re-flagged to the new names.
- The starboard side of each plane would carry United seats in United's colors and seating pitch. Aft would be Continental. Economy Plus would be found only on the United side. UA PS flights would be 3-class on the starboard side, aft would be CO Business First and coach, only.
- Crew would wear the uniforms of the airline for which they had previously flown pre-merger. Where possible, crew would be requested to "favor" the side of the plane that matched their uniforms.
- Flight numbers would be assigned a UC prefix, base upon resistance from air traffic controllers to using two separate call signs for aircraft operated by a single carrier.

Though the interim plan was never implemented, the memo provides interesting insight into the thinking process of the executives for the new airline. You can see it here: "Secret memo" reveals "interim merger plans
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I don't get why so many people need to post things like this. We had one early today, that really should be enough.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTravel
funny text
I thought this was funny. Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I don't get why so many people need to post things like this. We had one early today, that really should be enough.
I agree. Channa's was hilarious. But, they start to get old ...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I thought the secret plan was calling the airline CON-U?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by PTravel
Apparently, airline executives anticipated the problems involved in merging two brands, both of which commanded considerable loyalty. A leaked memo reveals an "interim" phase originally planned for the merger that would have "acclimated" customers of both airlines to the merger. It included the following:

- The airline would operate for 18 months as "Continited" and "Unitenental."
- Livery wouldn't be changed, but boarding passes and marketing collateral would include the new names.
- Gate and check-in desks,club rooms and airside customer service positions would be re-flagged to the new names.
- The starboard side of each plane would carry United seats in United's colors and seating pitch. Aft would be Continental. Economy Plus would be found only on the United side. UA PS flights would be 3-class on the starboard side, aft would be CO Business First and coach, only.
- Crew would wear the uniforms of the airline for which they had previously flown pre-merger. Where possible, crew would be requested to "favor" the side of the plane that matched their uniforms.
- Flight numbers would be assigned a UC prefix, base upon resistance from air traffic controllers to using two separate call signs for aircraft operated by a single carrier.

Though the interim plan was never implemented, the memo provides interesting insight into the thinking process of the executives for the new airline. You can see it here: "Secret memo" reveals "interim merger plans
Not that far from what we've already seen in reality:

Perhaps you'd better not read them, then.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
We had one early today, that really should be enough.
Or more than enough.

And, of course, some folks don't recognize themselves.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Not that far from what we've already seen in reality:

Did they ever have that livery IRL?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:03 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
April Fool's Day is about over most everyone so we'll close this.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.