Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Award Amount in order to Purchase Additional Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Hi there,

Currently on the phone with United after booking a saver economy (12.5K miles) one way LAX-EWR for this Sunday. Ticket did not issue properly last night after I called to purchase the additional miles needed (about 3.5K) to balance out my account. Agent is telling me the base amount of the award flight has to be to purchase the additional miles is 20K(?). However, agent last night was happy to purchase the additional miles for me over the phone...

Is this agent correct? I'm having a hard time finding proof of this on the website...

What annoys me in this situation is not so much the policy (it is what it is) but the fact an agent was able to purchase miles for me without knowing the policy...

Thanks

Last edited by ElliottMB; Mar 30, 2013 at 8:35 am
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:41 am

Minimum amount is 2. Not 20. Lol.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Why not buy the miles thru award accelerator on a refundable res?
Cheaper and easier.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Minimum amount is 2. Not 20. Lol.
I think she means you have to be flying on a fare that requires at least 20K miles, not that you have to buy at least 20K miles.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Why not buy the miles thru award accelerator on a refundable res?
Cheaper and easier.
Would that work fast enough? Don't you have to actually fly the refundable res to get the miles credit?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ElliottMB

Would that work fast enough? Don't you have to actually fly the refundable res to get the miles credit?
no, they post instantly.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
no, they post instantly.
Oh right. Well we got it sorted out whereby I booked it on my mom's account and purchased about 900 miles which seemed to work...thanks for the feedback, I will bear it in mind for the future!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Here's the correct info on UA's website:

QUOTE:

When you book award travel on United, you may have the option to buy up to 25% of the award miles required for that award travel. Please keep in mind that:

If this option is available, it will only be presented when you book award tickets, either online or by phone. You must purchase the award miles at the time when your travel award is ticketed.
The award travel that you are booking must require at least 5,000 miles.
Miles are purchased in 1,000-mile increments for $35 (plus 7.5% excise tax) per thousand miles and are nonrefundable.
This option does not apply to international airline partner awards or promotional awards.
You also may be required to pay taxes on the mileage purchase.

UNQUOTE

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../buymiles.aspx
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
The award travel that you are booking must require at least 5,000 miles.
I quoted this line to the agent but she wasn't having it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.