Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MileagePlus Club Card - Losing Avis Presidents Club in 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Looks like the UA Club Card is dropping the benefit from Avis Presidents Club down to Avis First. Not sure how this might impact Presidential Plus cardholders.

From http://www.avis.com/uaclubcard:

An important change in the Avis benefits available to you through your United MileagePlus® Club Card is on its way. Beginning January 28th, the benefit available to United Club cardholders will change from Avis President's Club to Avis First®. Existing Avis President's Club members will be changed to Avis First on April 1st, 2013.

Anyone have any other info or know who to complain to? Best I can think of is to have Hertz or National status-match and take business there.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Welcome bcbrz!

As for the benefit loss, I give this a big fat stinking... meh. I just can't get worked up over it. I used to be an Avis guy but have grown to love National's pick-your-own-car system and the Executive Aisle choose-your-own-upgrade. As an Exec Elite I get to rent luxury cars with my free days. I thought of registering with Avis to try President's Club (I've been Avis First before and it was ok -but nothing special), but if they really don't want to woo me over to Avis I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. Obviously it didn't cost them anything to offer that benefit in my case because I never even bothered registering.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
From the Avis website:

When you become a member of AVIS FIRST, you have access to high-end services and some of the finest vehicles in the rental car industry. Here are just a few exclusive benefits you can enjoy from this special program:
  • Two-day Weekend Rental Rewards with every fourth qualifying rental of two or more days
  • No black out restrictions on your Weekend Rental Rewards -- use them any place, any time
  • FREE one-car class upgrades when available - to get you to your destination in style
  • Continued Preferred Service - skip the lines and go directly to your vehicle
  • Dedicated 800 number available day and night - for service at your convenience
  • Members-only Web site that gives you easy access to special offers, your personal profile and online support 24/7

As an Avis President's Club member, you will enjoy such benefits as:
  • Guaranteed rental car availability, even without a reservation
  • Complimentary two car-class upgrade when available with every intermediate car class or higher rental
  • A free day of Avis where2® GPS navigation on rentals of 3 or more days
  • Access to a members-only reservation line
  • Up to 30% off standard rates at participating Avis locations in Canada, Europe, Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific regions (where permitted by law)

Seems to me that the biggest negative is the loss of the two car class upgrade and the guaranteed rental. But I like the rental rewards for Avis First. So, for me I actually think it's an upgrade.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
This is a pretty big downgrade ... Avis Presidents Club is one of the main reasons I keep my Presidential Plus card (as a lifetime UC member, it only costs me $100/year). I love Avis, and the two class upgrades are fantastic, but most importantly, the 30% off standard rates beat even some of the best corporate discounts I've seen; it often makes Avis cheaper than Enterprise and the other deeply discounted options.

I hope it doesn't apply to Presidential Plus, but it seems unlikely that PP would be spared.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
I used to be an Avis guy, but my company was migrating to National. I was going to try to stick with Avis for the Presidents Club, but with that gone, I have no reason to.

Big loss of benefits in my mind to the card, since I used it often. I'll status match to National, and keep the benefits for as long as they let me (I guess a year), but this is one more thing to make me wonder if I should renew the card when I have to pay $395.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:30 am

Really valued this benefit. This is a big downgrade. Back to Hertz..and continue having National as a fall back. No reason to rent with Avis after this. Went out of my way with corporate rentals their way because of this. Though need to check whether I ended up qualifying outright.

Also may be easier to just apply my Amex credit toward United Club membership with the 1k discount.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I have the Presidential Plus card and didn't get a similar notice. Think we're keeping the President's Club with Avis. I suspect that United is trying to differentiate between the PP card versus the Club card.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:02 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I suspect that United is trying to differentiate between the PP card versus the Club card.
I would disagree; UA has no real incentive to please legacy PP cardholders -- in fact, I'd argue UA's incentive is to transition them to the newly diminished (yet again) UA Club Card.

As to the issue with Avis, I'd guess there were just too many members out there and Avis came to the conclusion that it was time to cut the benefit. It will be interesting to see if PP cardholders will retain their Avis status as that is presumably not only a smaller group, but a shrinking one as well.

It is a shame what's been done to the old PP card as it once was a phenomenal deal: $375 for lounge access, 25% RDM flight bonus on CO metal, Avis status, Hyatt status, and so on but alas times change.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:59 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I have the Presidential Plus card and didn't get a similar notice. Think we're keeping the President's Club with Avis. I suspect that United is trying to differentiate between the PP card versus the Club card.
There's no indication that the OP got a notice (e.g. an email) -- it's just a link to the website. I have the Club card, and haven't gotten any notification of this.

This is a real disappointment to me. I haven't rented a lot in the 6 months that I've had the Club card, but the benefits when I have rented have been very nice -- and Avis is my corporate provider, so status matching isn't an option.

I'd more or less decided to keep the Club card, after my first year is up, because of the Avis benefit. Now I'll probably cancel. There are cheaper ways get have UC access, and Hyatt Platinum isn't compelling by itself.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:04 pm

This is reason for me to cancel the card too. I have only kept it open due to the combination of UA Club and Avis Presidential access. Without both, just buying a US Air membership during one of their many promotions is a better deal.

I'm already Hyatt Diamond, so the Hyatt Platinum status doesn't help either.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I would disagree; UA has no real incentive to please legacy PP cardholders -- in fact, I'd argue UA's incentive is to transition them to the newly diminished (yet again) UA Club Card.

As to the issue with Avis, I'd guess there were just too many members out there and Avis came to the conclusion that it was time to cut the benefit. It will be interesting to see if PP cardholders will retain their Avis status as that is presumably not only a smaller group, but a shrinking one as well.

It is a shame what's been done to the old PP card as it once was a phenomenal deal: $375 for lounge access, 25% RDM flight bonus on CO metal, Avis status, Hyatt status, and so on but alas times change.
Originally Posted by QBK
There's no indication that the OP got a notice (e.g. an email) -- it's just a link to the website. I have the Club card, and haven't gotten any notification of this.

This is a real disappointment to me. I haven't rented a lot in the 6 months that I've had the Club card, but the benefits when I have rented have been very nice -- and Avis is my corporate provider, so status matching isn't an option.

I'd more or less decided to keep the Club card, after my first year is up, because of the Avis benefit. Now I'll probably cancel. There are cheaper ways get have UC access, and Hyatt Platinum isn't compelling by itself.
Fair enough on both posts but if you go to http://www.avis.com/presidentialplus/ it shows we won't be losing Avis Presidential Circle status.

J.Edward - I would disagree with your assessment. You are basing your disagreement off on a downgrade from the initial card. Now that they have they Presidential Plus and the Club Card they are looking for points of differentiation. Presidential Plus is BETTER than the Club card and they want to make it that way to get us to pay more per year....guessing the annual fee will increase soon enough.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Now that they have they Presidential Plus and the Club Card they are looking for points of differentiation. Presidential Plus is BETTER than the Club card and they want to make it that way to get us to pay more per year....guessing the annual fee will increase soon enough.
I think that's wishful thinking. I don't see any new marketing for the PP card. I think it is in the twilight of its years and going to be merged with the current offering.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 am

Fair enough on both posts but if you go to http://www.avis.com/presidentialplus/ it shows we won't be losing Avis Presidential Circle status.

J.Edward - I would disagree with your assessment. You are basing your disagreement off on a downgrade from the initial card. Now that they have they Presidential Plus and the Club Card they are looking for points of differentiation. Presidential Plus is BETTER than the Club card and they want to make it that way to get us to pay more per year....guessing the annual fee will increase soon enough.
That is interesting given the link. Possibly an oversight by Avis on the web side. But would be nice if it were grandfathered for the smaller community.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Presidential Plus is BETTER than the Club card and they want to make it that way to get us to pay more per year....guessing the annual fee will increase soon enough.
How is it better? The restriced "flex" PQM are worthless to me as a MMer. I'd much rather have 1.5miles/$ spent. That's about the only difference I see.

As a lifetime Red Presidents Club member I get the PP card for $100/year. There is no such discount for the Club card. For that card I'm expected to fork out the standard $395 or so/year. (I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use a second club membershuip) Apparently there aren't enough peple in my situation (or we are not important enough) to make any sort of special offering or consideration worthwhile.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
How is it better? The restriced "flex" PQM are worthless to me as a MMer. I'd much rather have 1.5miles/$ spent. That's about the only difference I see.
I agree with you 100%. At the same time...Continental took a relational approach to customers, while United is a more transactional focused institution. I'm also a LT UC member who chose CO. Now that we are all United it is our prerogative to pivot to the new culture. As customers our alternatives are DL/AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.