Wiki Posts
Search

Heating pad allowed with United?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Heating pad allowed with United?

Are heating pads allowed on UA planes?

Couldn't find the answer on UA web or here. Alex had no idea.

Any suggestions for the best adaptors?

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Probably unless there's some FAA rule against them. That said, you'd only be able to use a low-wattage one if using in-seat power on planes w/ 110V AC (the outlets will shut off around 90W consumption, IIRC).
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by twtrvl
Are heating pads allowed on UA planes?

Couldn't find the answer on UA web or here. Alex had no idea.

Any suggestions for the best adaptors?

Thanks.
Even if they were allowed, keep in mind that in-seat power is limited to 75W or 100W, whether it be a 12VDC or 120VAC type. So, check the wattage on your heating pad. If there are multiple settings, the listed wattage is going to be what it uses on the highest setting.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I checked on board and it is OK
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Which heating pads on which plane?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Have you looked at Thermacare? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1657481

As far as I know, the neither the FAA nor the TSA specifically prohibit their use but I'd think it could potentially be a fire hazard. Hot plates (which use similar mechanics as a heating pad to create heat) are definitely not allowed under the FAR's - and that goes for crew use in the galleys as well as passengers.

OP, do you know off chance what equipment your flights will be using? Especially when it comes to the 737 fleet, in-seat power availability isn't consistent:
  • 319: None
  • 320: EmPower (F)
  • 735: None
  • 73G: AC Power (F/E+)
  • 738: AC Power (F/E+)
  • 739: AC Power (All, F/E+, or None - check the seatmap and watch for substitutions)
  • 744: AC Power (F and C)
  • 752 domestic: None (with the exception of one bird that does have power in F/E+)
  • 752 p.s.: AC Power (All)
  • 752 international: AC Power (All)
  • 753: AC Power (F/E+ - except on birds used on TPAC flights)
  • 762: EmPower (J and the first few rows of Y)
  • 763 domestic: EmPower (F)
  • 763 two class international: AC Power (All)
  • 763 three class international: AC Power (F and C)
  • 764 refurbished: AC Power (All)
  • 764 unrefurbished and "H" config: EmPower (J and the first few rows of Y)
  • 772 domestic: None
  • 772 two class international: AC Power (All)
  • 772 three class international: AC Power (All)
  • 772 three class Hawaii: EmPower (F and C)
  • 788: AC Power (All)

Some (primarily pmCO) aircraft have outlets for coach passengers (sometimes only in E+), some only have it in F, and others don't have it at all. Also, don't forget that even if .bomb says your flight has power right now there could always be an equipment swap close to departure. It happened to me a few months ago, we went from 739 with AC power and DirecTV to an unconverted 738 that didn't have power, IFE of any kind (not even overhead monitors), or Economy Plus inside T-24.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Jan 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
exclusions for other devices?

Sorry about the thread highjack, but are other devices outlawed for other reasons (electrical interference for example)?

Specifically I bring a small fan and plug it in so I have some airflow on PMCO 777s as they have no airvent and I always get hot.

I plan on bringing on this Thursday on EWR-HKG in BusinessFirst. This time I am seated in row 1 and don't want the pilot to have any issues with a motor running nearby. I am guessing that my fan is 10 watts or less.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I can't really cite any federal or United regulations, but a heating pad on an airplane just seems like a bad idea. It's not that they regularly burst into flames all the time, but that the consequences of it happening on a plane would be so much worse.

I also have some concerns about the power supplies drawing such a large, continuous resistive load. Those empower adapters have made me nervous the last few times I used them, buzzing and rattling sometimes when I just have a cell phone plugged in.

Maybe just consider bringing your own extra blanket? I don't think we could guarantee that the TSA would even let you through security with it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had numerous experiences with the at-seat power not working properly or consistently, even on flights / planes where it is supposed to be available.

I second the suggestion to consider ThermaCare if that's an option for you. Seems like between inconsistent TSA agents, iffy power, etc. the heating pad could end up being quite a hassle.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had numerous experiences with the at-seat power not working properly or consistently, even on flights / planes where it is supposed to be available.

I second the suggestion to consider ThermaCare if that's an option for you. Seems like between inconsistent TSA agents, iffy power, etc. the heating pad could end up being quite a hassle.
Especially the EmPower ports... sometimes they're just disabled outright.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Suggest the OP flies LH rather than UA if going TATL. They keep their planes warmer.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
At 75W, a heating pad is pretty useless. About the heat output of your average lightbulb.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:34 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
I carry a small hot water bottle. Just need to ask the FA's to add hot water.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
OP, do you know off chance what equipment your flights will be using? Especially when it comes to the 737 fleet, in-seat power availability isn't consistent:
Couple of minor corrections: (1) the A320s don't all have EmPower in F; quite a few do not; (2) a fair amount of domestic 752s have EmPower in F.

Originally Posted by mduell
At 75W, a heating pad is pretty useless. About the heat output of your average lightbulb.
We have some heating pads for our cats, rated at 60W, and they are actually pretty warm. You don't want the heat to be burning hot to the touch, after all.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
I carry a small hot water bottle. Just need to ask the FA's to add hot water.
Good idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.