Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farelock remorse

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by palmetto86
"Pay at airport" is the best united.com "feature." You can hold any res until midnight Central time the next day.

I use it all the time!
Can you actually just call and then pay over the phone w/ credit card? If so would be a great feature
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by flykodo
Can you actually just call and then pay over the phone w/ credit card? If so would be a great feature
You can go back anytime and pay on the website like normal.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
"Pay at airport" is the best united.com "feature." You can hold any res until midnight Central time the next day.

I use it all the time!
And you can switch you payment to a CC later and avoid the cash fee?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
The issue I have with Farelock is (last time I looked), you can lock in the fare but you still only have 24 hours to cancel the flight without penalty.
24 hours after you ticket, though, I believe. Thus, you can fare lock for 3 days, decide to book on day 3, and assuming ticketing happens promptly (within a few minutes of booking), have until day 4 to cancel without penalty. You can't get back the FareLock fee itself even within 24 hours, but you should have 24 hours after you decide to buy a FareLocked booking to refund without penalty.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:54 pm
RNE

I have twice used a 7-day farelock. In fact, I have one active right now, with three days to go. In the previous instance, circumstances drove me to let the farelock expire. Circumstances again will probably lead to my letting this one expire. But I don't mind; I like the option.

RNE, it's well worth the paltry sum.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
How do you guys know when to use FareLock (those who use it selectively)? I know some fare-monitoring websites can give you general price trends, but unless it's $200 vs $800, it's hard for me to know when I should lock in a "good" fare...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:08 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by maize&blue
How do you guys know when to use FareLock (those who use it selectively)? I know some fare-monitoring websites can give you general price trends, but unless it's $200 vs $800, it's hard for me to know when I should lock in a "good" fare...
Look at it from the opposite point of view. How significant are a few dollars?

RNE, not very.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by dkmatter
Yes.
With some good timing, you can get up to a 47:59 free fare lock.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by maize&blue
If I have a trip for which I need to confirm a few details still (such as if I can get the time off, or if it works for my wife), but for which I see a good fare, I will FareLock it. I have been stung too many other times (e.g. the next day, the fare has gone up $100) and like having that option now.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA-1K
I always just book, and then cancel within 24hrs, if needed.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:18 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by DeErEtYn
I always just book, and then cancel within 24hrs, if needed.
That's great if you can settle all ancillary arrangements within 24 hours. But the 24-hour cancellation rule is not at issue herein, Farelock is. It's for people who need a few days to do what you "always" do in one.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by dkmatter
Yes, if you pay online (or have status and do it at a ticket office), there is no fee.

Holding/booking (with the intent to refund if need be) is the only way to reliably book fares that you know will not be long for the world.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC

I use it all the time!
ditto! it's farelock...minus the ancillary fee.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
If I have a trip for which I need to confirm a few details still (such as if I can get the time off, or if it works for my wife), but for which I see a good fare, I will FareLock it. I have been stung too many other times (e.g. the next day, the fare has gone up $100) and like having that option now.
My reasons are similar. I use it often, typically buying the 7-day option. . I really like the option.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
ditto! it's farelock...minus the ancillary fee.
Farelock works for up to 7 days. Really worth the small charge in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.