Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to/from ZFV and dropping segments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Flying to/from ZFV and dropping segments

Anyone ever booked ex-ZFV (Philadelphia 30th. Street Rail Station, PA) instead of EWR?

Not thinking of doing this myself, but how would UA know if you didn't "fly" the ZFV-EWR-ZFV segments?

Reason I ask is I see fares ex-ZFV often cheaper than ex-EWR. 1/10-14 ZFV-SEA for example.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Anyone ever booked ex-ZFV (Philadelphia 30th. Street Rail Station, PA) instead of EWR?

Not thinking of doing this myself, but how would UA know if you didn't "fly" the ZFV-EWR-ZFV segments?

Reason I ask is I see fares ex-ZFV often cheaper than ex-EWR. 1/10-14 ZFV-SEA for example.

I've never done it, but I can't see how they'd possibly know if you skipped the Amtrak segment.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I've never done it, but I can't see how they'd possibly know if you skipped the Amtrak segment.
Both of you are highly seasoned FTers.

There's a massive thread answering the OP's question, and refuting the responder's assumption.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Both of you are highly seasoned FTers.

There's a massive thread answering the OP's question, and refuting the responder's assumption.
Care to provide a link? I searched this forum and came up with nothing in the first 4 pages.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ak-co-faq.html

It's in the pmCO forum (1st page) - since it's where it began.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ak-co-faq.html

It's in the pmCO forum (1st page) - since it's where it began.
A thread with no updates to the original "FAQ" post for 8 years. I'm looking for current information.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm looking for current information.
Then read the thread. There is plenty of current information at the end.

Just like in all the other official mega-threads in this forum.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Then read the thread. There is plenty of current information at the end.

Just like in all the other official mega-threads in this forum.
Thread has conflicting information. Some say you can do it, some say you can't do it. Not very useful IMO
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A thread with no updates to the original "FAQ" post for 8 years. I'm looking for current information.
Let me distill for you:

If you skip the segment ZFV-EWR or EWR-ZFV - you will most likely get away with it, but your return will be flagged.

Personal experience. My flying partner (non-elite, split PNR) had her return cancelled once, while mine was untouched.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:34 pm

Thread has conflicting information. Some say you can do it, some say you can't do it. Not very useful IMO
Well, it changed at one point, so you used to be able to and then you couldn't. There aren't any posts that I can recall seeing at the end saying it was possible. It hasn't been for several years now.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, it changed at one point, so you used to be able to and then you couldn't. There aren't any posts that I can recall seeing at the end saying it was possible. It hasn't been for several years now.
Uhhh...

If you skip the segment ZFV-EWR or EWR-ZFV - you will most likely get away with it, but your return will be flagged.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Let me distill for you:

Personal experience. My flying partner (non-elite, split PNR) had her return cancelled once, while mine was untouched.
This ^

I recommend never going out of ZFV before the Amtrak staff get onhand. We did this once, the quick track machines could not find our reservation / tickets, there were no live people to help us.

We called Continental, told them of our situation, and that we were driving to EWR to get our flight. We ended up missing the original flight and took the next one out.

Despite this - they cancelled our return trip home. Had to call them again from Vegas to get straightened out.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

Uhhh...
Yeah...there is one person saying you might get away with it, but even they admit that the rest of the reservation is probably going to be "flagged." And there are several others - nearly all of whom are well known in these parts and more reliable IME - saying don't do it.

Your choice who to believe.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I just did a LAX-ZFV roundtrip earlier this month (June), but I actually went to Phila. because the PHL fare was a few TODs more. My thought is that UA would not know if you skipped the Newark Airport-30th Street rail segments. UACO and Amtrak are on different reservations systems, and you pick up your boarding passes separately from each respective carrier. (I.e., when you OLCI on either end, you don't get the Amtrak passes.) Moreover, Amtrak RDMs get credited several days after the UA segments. To me, these suggest that UA has no way of knowing a no-show--at least until you had completed your trip if it's no more than 2-3 days.

But this is just my observation, from someone who actually never attempted what you are asking. YMMV.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
My thought is that UA would not know if you skipped the Newark Airport-30th Street rail segments. ...

But this is just my observation, from someone who actually never attempted what you are asking. YMMV.
You, too, should probably read that other thread. The systems are actually reasonably integrated these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.