Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Longer than 4 hours of domestic layover allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

A friend wants to book a one-way award ticket from GJT (Grand Junction, CO) to IAD. However, all the suggested flights on United.com depart in the morning but my friend wants to leave home in the afternoon. We see that there are two United flights with award availability like this

GJT-DEN 1757-1900 (the latest flight of a day)
DEN-IAD 0605-1120 (the earliest flight on the next day)

Would it be possible?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by samwkchan
A friend wants to book a one-way award ticket from GJT (Grand Junction, CO) to IAD. However, all the suggested flights on United.com depart in the morning but my friend wants to leave home in the afternoon. We see that there are two United flights with award availability like this

GJT-DEN 1757-1900 (the latest flight of a day)
DEN-IAD 0605-1120 (the earliest flight on the next day)

Would it be possible?
Yes, but you probably would have to book by phone. The computer may give you the overnight but if not, then call. When I check online for certain itineraries (JFK-SJD) as an example, it will gime me morning flights thru LAX/SFO w direct connections and afternoon / evening flights w 12-16 hour over nights in LAX / SFO
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Try a multi-city booking online perhaps? Just a thought ... don't know if this will charge you more miles. But this way you can force the dates of travel.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
It's definitely possible. I have a 5 hour layover in ORD next week on an award ticket to HKG.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
It's definitely possible. I have a 5 hour layover in ORD next week on an award ticket to HKG.
The limit for international layover is 24 hours, so it must work in your case. However, the limit for domestic layover is just 4 hours. That's why I don't know if it works.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samwkchan
The limit for international layover is 24 hours, so it must work in your case. However, the limit for domestic layover is just 4 hours. That's why I don't know if it works.
It will work, but you may have to call. It's 4 hours or the next available flight, whichever comes first. Online will typically try to price it as two end-to-end fares (e.g. GJT-DEN and DEN-IAD), which you don't want--though when the only connection is the next morning, IME the site works a little better.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by exerda
It's 4 hours or the next available flight, whichever comes first.
I think it's whichever comes later, not first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.