Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "MileagePlus Award Travel to New Zealand" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Trying to do an award trip in J or F to AKL from IAD, with a stop in DOH on the return. This seems next to impossible.

Previously I was looking at BKK instead of AKL, and it was allowing me a free stop-over in DOH between BKK and IAD, but I can't seem to get that with AKL-DOH-IAD. Additionally, the search can't come up with any routing to AKL from iad.

Any creative fixes to this, or do people just suck it up and no use award travel to New Zealand?

Ideally my routing would be IAD-AKL-DOH-IAD

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Most logical would be obviously NZ from their NA gateways.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:48 pm

Look segment by segment starting with the hardest segments first. West coast to Australia are usually hard to find in J unless you're booking last minute or a year out - so you may need to connect in asia to reach AKL.

Stop over on DOH on the same award won't be possible - IAD-AKL only has a transpacific MPM published (12160 for MPM+15%). IAD-DOH only has an atlantic MPM, so not enough mileage to hit australia. Pick a different stopover (if any), or get multiple awards.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by okrogius

Stop over on DOH on the same award won't be possible - IAD-AKL only has a transpacific MPM published (12160 for MPM+15%). IAD-DOH only has an atlantic MPM, so not enough mileage to hit australia. Pick a different stopover (if any), or get multiple awards.

MPM does not matter. You are most certainly allowed to route a one-way award IAD-DOH-BKK-SYD-AKL - comes up as 67.5k in a multicity search.

The problem is getting the stopover to price out on a round trip.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
MPM does not matter. You are most certainly allowed to route a one-way award IAD-DOH-BKK-SYD-AKL - comes up as 67.5k in a multicity search.

Official rules are MPM driven - yes, the website frequently ignores them. However, for those cases where the website won't make a mistake in your favor (which this seems to be the case), you do need to go by them when you call.

Although of course you're entirely possible to get an agent to book something against the rules when you call, so certainly possible to try. Find whatever availability by segment (or set of segments), and call to book.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
NZ transpacs in C very scarce just now. Occasional seats AKL-YVR and vv. Great way to travel tho.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu

I can't seem to find that rate. That's not so bad, and I could then just price out a separate oneway for the return.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

I'm still looking at this route, for a 2 week trip in November.

I'm having no luck finding anything. There is plenty of availability to get to HKG/BKK/SIN but I can't find a way to get to AKL. Is there a way to trick the search into routing through there? I'd really like HKG or SIN stopovers on the way there or back, anyways!

So BOS or IAD- AKL (via SIN or HKG, or one each way) for 2 weeks, early November, on an award? Is this really *THAT* tough of a request for me to ask of Star Alliance?

Any of you experts have some advice?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
try Montreal-DOH-AKL.

I was finding a ton of availability the other day. You would have to put it on hold and then call in to patch together a IAD-Montreal ticket, or you can just buy one. lol
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tahsir21
try Montreal-DOH-AKL.

I was finding a ton of availability the other day. You would have to put it on hold and then call in to patch together a IAD-Montreal ticket, or you can just buy one. lol
Thanks. .bomb gets an error when I do that search.

The DOH stopover isn't so important anymore. Would rather just route through Asia and spend a few nights in SIN or HKG (or one each way) enroute to AKL!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:19 pm

Last December I found two tickets from AUS into AKL, both in F (or J if F not offered) but the routing was a little funky. We did AUS-LAX on United, LAX-ICN on Asiana (amazing product), ICN-BKK on Asiana, BKK-SYD on Thai, and SYD-AKL on Air New Zealand. It was about two days worth of flying, but we got to use lounges for food and showers along the way, and the F lounge in BKK allowed for a much-needed massage as well.

I'd imagine that similarly convoluted routing might be available for you, but we're awfully close to November now so maybe not. I'm also not sure what the situation looks like out of IAD as opposed to AUS. Can you post specific dates that might be of interest?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by atcguy
Thanks. .bomb gets an error when I do that search.

The DOH stopover isn't so important anymore. Would rather just route through Asia and spend a few nights in SIN or HKG (or one each way) enroute to AKL!
when do you wanna travel?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alenguy
Last December I found two tickets from AUS into AKL, both in F (or J if F not offered) but the routing was a little funky. We did AUS-LAX on United, LAX-ICN on Asiana (amazing product), ICN-BKK on Asiana, BKK-SYD on Thai, and SYD-AKL on Air New Zealand. It was about two days worth of flying, but we got to use lounges for food and showers along the way, and the F lounge in BKK allowed for a much-needed massage as well.

I'd imagine that similarly convoluted routing might be available for you, but we're awfully close to November now so maybe not. I'm also not sure what the situation looks like out of IAD as opposed to AUS. Can you post specific dates that might be of interest?
Depart 10/29-11/1 return 11/14-16.

Briefly searching the first leg, IAD-SIN shows availability on LH via FRA but I'm not sure how to add on the AKL portion and parlay it as a stopover vs 2 separate tickets (and more miles).
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:20 pm

Hi

Flights to AKL originate from SFO and LAX, So I did a quick search and on 10/29 out and return on 11/10 there is a flight for 801k oints interestingly it returns via KIX (Osaka).

Dont sure if this helps you or not
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by maxwalker101
Hi

Flights to AKL originate from SFO and LAX, So I did a quick search and on 10/29 out and return on 11/10 there is a flight for 801k oints interestingly it returns via KIX (Osaka).

Dont sure if this helps you or not
Careful as the Japan and China flights on NZ are on a 767 = recliner seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.