Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Finding a real person at the Baggage Resolution Service Center?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold

I was supposed to fly IAD-DEN-SNA yesterday, but was moved to a direct IAD-LAX flight after my IAD-DEN flight was seriously delayed (and I mean serious - UA460 arrived in DEN 7h15m late!). I had a checked bag, thanks to non-TSA-friendly work materials, and the folks in the IAD Terminal C UA Club valiantly fought with the unfamiliar new software to get everything switched over (with 3.5 hours until my new flight).

I made it to LAX. My bag didn't.

The baggage services rep at LAX was incredibly surly and unhelpful (our conversation began with her grilling me about why I'd changed flights, and telling me it was my fault that the bag is now missing), but she eventually determined from routing information that the bag looked like it was still headed to SNA. I gave her info about where I'm staying in Burbank, got my tracing info, didn't get a toiletry kit because she didn't have any (and looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for one), and left the airport.

16 hours later, the online baggage tracing alternates between "Tracing Process Continues, check back later" and an error message:

! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions.
! We're sorry, but we are unable to retrieve your baggage claim information.
Please revise your entries or call the Baggage Resolution Center at 1-800-335-BAGS (1-800-335-2247) to speak with a representative.

I called the 1-800 for the BRSC, and went through many loops of their automated system to get the "we're still looking" message. No option to speak to a person that I could find. Should I have shouted profanity until they connected me to an operator, or is there somewhere else I should call?

Also - does anyone know (or know where I can find) UA's current policies regarding reimbursement for incidental items (toiletries, clothing) when a bag is delayed beyond 24 hours? I already had to purchase some fundamentals, but this isn't going so well and I want to be prepared. Not really excited about doing a high-profile Hollywood interview in socks and undies that I've worn a while.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:05 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
if you have Amex Plat or DC

or any CC with an actual concierge....call them and see if they can help. The couple of times my bags were lost these services were more help than anyone else.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

UPDATE: Got a person, no profanity required! "Help" didn't work, but "operator" apparently did. Thought that could be useful for others to know.

(The baggage report number that the LAX rep gave me was not the right number to be using (it's a file number, not a tracing number?), so the BRSC rep gave me a new number... that also gives that error on the tracing site. She didn't have a solution for that. But purportedly my bag is on a flight that lands in SNA in 35 minutes, and then they'd drive it out here. Wish me luck. Yay, clean undies! )
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Well, it's 30 hours later... and no baggage. My suitcase landed at SNA at 9:45AM on UA6372, and I got a phone call from the BRSC about delivery at 11AM. I waited patiently all day, checking in sporadically with my hotel. Nothing. At 7PM, I got a call from the delivery service that I could barely understand, but the gist was that I'd get it in the middle of the night or early tomorrow.

I broke down and purchased some necessities today, since I didn't get a toiletry kit and the hotel isn't providing a few things I need (like deodorant, contact lens solution, or clean socks). So my second question is my more pressing one now - what's the current delayed baggage interim expense policy? I found this form through Google, and it definitely mentions interim expenses for delayed baggage... but no details about who is eligible, when eligibility begins, or what the limitations are. I have receipts, but I'd like more information before I fax them into a UA-shaped void! My recent emails to Customer Care have taken ~4-6 weeks to get a response, if I ever get one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.