Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by thepumpkin
It is that bad as I witnessed a scene at EWR one evening some months ago where a group of 4 travelling to FLL made sure everyone knew that they each paid $10 to upgrade to first ---and I can assure you they drank a lot more than $10 worth of booze ! (I had upgraded an intinerary with points so had a chance to sit in on the action)
You were not hallucinating as I saw the very same thing happen last Saturday morning EWR-FLL and suffice it to say, there were a LOT of pi$$ed off pax who didn't clear
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by thepumpkin
It is that bad as I witnessed a scene at EWR one evening some months ago where a group of 4 travelling to FLL made sure everyone knew that they each paid $10 to upgrade to first ---and I can assure you they drank a lot more than $10 worth of booze ! (I had upgraded an intinerary with points so had a chance to sit in on the action)
UDU is such a joke. Bring back the e500s and at least put the lottery among those with status. What does $10 cover? What does the $99 on LAX-ORD cover..craptacular down gauged CO front cabin service? Imagine the horror if you actually booked F on these flights. Found it odd after CO joined star alliance that I had to argue with a lady on my ORD-IAH flight who refused to move from my seat, which she confused with the. @*^# gate number...thinking at time, how does a CO FF confuse a gate number for a seat assignment...in retrospect

Seriously with e500s maybe elites make the new UA big seat for free or at a min, FLL-EWR makes $100 to cover the cost of booze and a Jeff mcmuffin; LAX-ORD would be $200. At those added fees maybe we could go from the CO big seat to a proper UA F service and in turn entice back those who used to buy F on UA- which by all accounts/CO FF attacks was quite the rarity for a CO front cabin big seat lacking any lumbar support. God what a wretched airline.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mike1968
UDU is such a joke. Bring back the e500s and at least put the lottery among those with status. What does $10 cover? What does the $99 on LAX-ORD cover..craptacular down gauged CO front cabin service? Imagine the horror if you actually booked F on these flights. Found it odd after CO joined star alliance that I had to argue with a lady on my ORD-IAH flight who refused to move from my seat, which she confused with the. @*^# gate number...thinking at time, how does a CO FF confuse a gate number for a seat assignment...in retrospect

Seriously with e500s maybe elites make the new UA big seat for free or at a min, FLL-EWR makes $100 to cover the cost of booze and a Jeff mcmuffin; LAX-ORD would be $200. At those added fees maybe we could go from the CO big seat to a proper UA F service and in turn entice back those who used to buy F on UA- which by all accounts/CO FF attacks was quite the rarity for a CO front cabin big seat lacking any lumbar support. God what a wretched airline.
AA still uses a modified version of the e500 system (EXPs get them free) and it seems to work pretty well. UA is apparently aiming for the Airtran system, where you can upgrade at T-24 for maybe $79 to get a bigger seat up front and a free drink. (This system worked so well for Airtran that they were bought out by Southwest -- perhaps Jeff's exit strategy? )
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Lady sitting across the aisle from me on UA 770 SFO-BOS last night was commenting to her neighbor how she almost sat in first class because when checking in, the kiosk gave her an offer for $61. She was so surprised but said she ultimately sat in coach since it was a red eye and she wouldn't really make use of the first class benefits. Also commented on how she rarely flies United but if she kept getting offers like that she just might fly UA more. What's worse is that this flight was scheduled for a 320 but got downgraded to a 319 and they needed people in F to downgrade for $500.

I just rolled my eyes. Out of a 6 segment MR this weekend I cleared 1 upgrade as a 1K. (SAN-SFO....big deal for 45 min) and was #4 or lower on upgrade list for nearly all flights. Hasn't been this bad for me MRing on Saturdays since I was a 2P!

Last edited by weirdlyndon; Jan 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
MR upgrades

If your on a MR and not getting upgrades, good. I have had 1 CPU since July 7th last year and UA would rather sell the seat for cheap IMO than give you an upgrade. My weekly 5100 mile RT gets me zero upgrades and zero complaints. I will earn 1K and then status match for AA and give them a try. MR folks not getting upgrades, boo hoo. UA is trying to put and end to that and there new MR tracking analytics program, yes they have a new one installed, will find you. The only segment eligible for CPU for me is LAX to IAH and reverse and I not expecting one on that route.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
If your on a MR and not getting upgrades, good. I have had 1 CPU since July 7th last year and UA would rather sell the seat for cheap IMO than give you an upgrade. My weekly 5100 mile RT gets me zero upgrades and zero complaints. I will earn 1K and then status match for AA and give them a try. MR folks not getting upgrades, boo hoo. UA is trying to put and end to that and there new MR tracking analytics program, yes they have a new one installed, will find you. The only segment eligible for CPU for me is LAX to IAH and reverse and I not expecting one on that route.
Cite? I've never heard of this "program"
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
??? And when the hounds track you down, then what?

I couldn't care less why you are flying, seems entirely irrelvant. There are plenty if checks in the system that reduce the UDU chance for those on the ultra-cheapo fares. The question of allocating upgrades to reward loyalty CS bring in a few extra bucks at check-in is totally unrelated to this.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by eflyte
??? And when the hounds track you down, then what?

I couldn't care less why you are flying, seems entirely irrelvant. There are plenty if checks in the system that reduce the UDU chance for those on the ultra-cheapo fares. The question of allocating upgrades to reward loyalty CS bring in a few extra bucks at check-in is totally unrelated to this.
So what's the issue? Selling upgrades or folks not getting upgrades? Either way I don't care. I will be on the plane Monday, not optional for me at this time.

Of course the inside systems have an analytics engine to for see MR folks and and cheap tickets for upgrades.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What exactly do you think UA is going to do when they "find" the MRers? Said pax have done nothing wrong by the T&C of the MP program (except perhaps in the paranoid fantasy world of folks who seem to think MRers are responsible for everything from upgrade issues to airline financial woes to the bubonic plague).

And what exactly counts as a "MR," I wonder? I'm not talking a crazy segment run--those are an even smaller subset of the already-small subset of pax who engage in MR activity. How do you differentiate a single trip as to whether it is a MR, a business trip, or a personal (but non-MR) trip? (And if you believe UA has the capability to look at patterns across multiple trips, I've got several bridges to sell you, because in aggressively pursuing a "you are your transaction" model of revenue, UA has shown that they have no ability whatsoever to create long-term analytics of a given pax--else they wouldn't be driving away high-value customers by selling TODs and other shenanigans).

My company requires the lowest fare available be purchased (even though they have contracts with UA; I've ended up on a few contracted fares on occasion); you tell me how you differentiate a $238 K fare bought for business because it was cheaper than the competition from a mileage runner buying that same $238 K fare. I've had business trips which required same-day return travel, for example, and not every mileage run involves same-day returns.

What it boils down to is this: UA offers cheap fares, and people buy them. You apparently don't like that some people are better at buying them than others. Fine. UA wouldn't offer those cheap fares if they were costing the airline money (assuming UA has any financial sense at all, which is perhaps assuming too much ). Yes, those pax then redeem their miles for international premium cabin travel--then maybe UA needs to make earning miles harder? They already have capacity controls in place.

Seriously, MRers are a drop in the bucket of the normal passenger flow. I say that as someone who spends around $15k to earn 1K--these days entirely on my own dime (as my current contract at work doesn't require travel, unfortunately). I fly where I want, when I want, and buy the fares UA is offering. Yes, I get an occasional cheap transcon, but I also spend out the wazoo for the occasional midcon or regional flight, too.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
What exactly do you think UA is going to do when they "find" the MRers? Said pax have done nothing wrong by the T&C of the MP program (except perhaps in the paranoid fantasy world of folks who seem to think MRers are responsible for everything from upgrade issues to airline financial woes to the bubonic plague).

And what exactly counts as a "MR," I wonder? I'm not talking a crazy segment run--those are an even smaller subset of the already-small subset of pax who engage in MR activity. How do you differentiate a single trip as to whether it is a MR, a business trip, or a personal (but non-MR) trip? (And if you believe UA has the capability to look at patterns across multiple trips, I've got several bridges to sell you, because in aggressively pursuing a "you are your transaction" model of revenue, UA has shown that they have no ability whatsoever to create long-term analytics of a given pax--else they wouldn't be driving away high-value customers by selling TODs and other shenanigans).

My company requires the lowest fare available be purchased (even though they have contracts with UA; I've ended up on a few contracted fares on occasion); you tell me how you differentiate a $238 K fare bought for business because it was cheaper than the competition from a mileage runner buying that same $238 K fare. I've had business trips which required same-day return travel, for example, and not every mileage run involves same-day returns.

What it boils down to is this: UA offers cheap fares, and people buy them. You apparently don't like that some people are better at buying them than others. Fine. UA wouldn't offer those cheap fares if they were costing the airline money (assuming UA has any financial sense at all, which is perhaps assuming too much ). Yes, those pax then redeem their miles for international premium cabin travel--then maybe UA needs to make earning miles harder? They already have capacity controls in place.

Seriously, MRers are a drop in the bucket of the normal passenger flow. I say that as someone who spends around $15k to earn 1K--these days entirely on my own dime (as my current contract at work doesn't require travel, unfortunately). I fly where I want, when I want, and buy the fares UA is offering. Yes, I get an occasional cheap transcon, but I also spend out the wazoo for the occasional midcon or regional flight, too.
Agreed on all accounts!

Plus to the OP about the "MR tracking program." If true, which I highly doubt, what's the point? If UA wants to find me doing a MR, pull my reservations for most Saturdays with flights starting in the east, most likely heading west, and coming back the same day.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Of course the inside systems have an analytics engine to for see MR folks and and cheap tickets for upgrades.
Fascinating.

So what's the issue? Selling upgrades or folks not getting upgrades? Either way I don't care. I will be on the plane Monday, not optional for me at this time
I have to admit to not being especially passionate about any of them, but I think you will find all manner of concerns expressed in this thread. Folks on MR stealing all the upgrades seems to me the most trivial of them.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Mileage Plus in America and Qantas down under
Originally Posted by exerda

I'm wondering just how you ever found the time to fly - with 27,000+ posts here in FT and airborne wifi only now coming into play I just can't see how you ever had time to fly - just curious!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Cite? I've never heard of this "program"
Maybe United is taking DL's data mining a few steps further...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-keeps-on-you/

Originally Posted by FlyOverVille
I'm wondering just how you ever found the time to fly - with 27,000+ posts here in FT and airborne wifi only now coming into play I just can't see how you ever had time to fly - just curious!
Check out Seth's (sbm12) number of posts here, and then take a look at his blog (Wandering Aramean).

It is possible to fly and blog! (or fly and post to FT in exerda's case...)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Maybe United is taking DL's data mining a few steps further...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-keeps-on-you/
This is very amusing!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Agreed on all accounts!

Plus to the OP about the "MR tracking program." If true, which I highly doubt, what's the point? If UA wants to find me doing a MR, pull my reservations for most Saturdays with flights starting in the east, most likely heading west, and coming back the same day.
My comment was on te thread above where the poster didn't get FC on a mileage run. I don't have problems with MR folks, but do it in coach. And don't complain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.