Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Won't Match Elite Status for Star Alliance members??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I called UA's Mileage Plus service center today, explaning that I've been an elite status member at US for many years and that I want to switch my allegiance to United's FF program. The rep told me that UA does match elite status for people wanting to switch, but NOT for Star Alliance members.

I explained that without an elite status match, if I started accruing mileage on UA I'd be treated as a non-elite member for the first 25,000 miles (i.e. no free bag, no priority boarding). The rep said "That's correct."

I asked if UA could give me ANY incentive then to join their program, since other airlines would match my elite status. The rep explained that I would get elite perks after racking up 25,000 miles. I thanked her for explaining the obvious and then asked whether UA cared at all whether I joined or not. She said "It's not that we don't care; it's just our policy."

And with that, I've decided that I may be better off staying at US.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cavalier9915
I called UA's Mileage Plus service center today, explaning that I've been an elite status member at US for many years and that I want to switch my allegiance to United's FF program. The rep told me that UA does match elite status for people wanting to switch, but NOT for Star Alliance members.

I explained that without an elite status match, if I started accruing mileage on UA I'd be treated as a non-elite member for the first 25,000 miles (i.e. no free bag, no priority boarding). The rep said "That's correct."

I asked if UA could give me ANY incentive then to join their program, since other airlines would match my elite status. The rep explained that I would get elite perks after racking up 25,000 miles. I thanked her for explaining the obvious and then asked whether UA cared at all whether I joined or not. She said "It's not that we don't care; it's just our policy."

And with that, I've decided that I may be better off staying at US.
I don't think anyone does matches anymore (now it is a challenge) so you may want to rephrase your question: "Will UA offer me a challenge"? Beyond that from an alliance standpoint they want fresh blood. I did a challenge to 1K from Delta. Delta is one of only 3 airlines in the world that UA will offer a challenge to 1K on because it is completely fresh business (and the Diamond level at DL is 125k a year).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I seem to remember, perhaps from a year or two ago, that this type of match is expressly prohibited by the Alliance guidelines (prevention of customer poaching) but I may be completely off base on that.

I would guess someone with more *A knowledge might chime in.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
First, welcome to FT cavalier9915.

If you are a 25K flyer with US, you at least receive *Alliance Silver benefits on UA. If you are a 50K flyer with UA, you already get Gold benefits, which would include the free bag. Perhaps a statement of the obvious.

I'm no expert on matches or challenges, but I did not think they really applied much at the 25K level. I get your point that it sux having to log the initial 25K on UA without 2P privileges, but I guess that's how most do it. You could take that UA Explorer Credit Card free for the 1st yr & get the privileges you want UA to match. Seems easy to me. Good luck in any case....
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
They're right. No poaching. If you want to get a UA challenge you can match to some other carrier first, then ask UA to match that new status.

Be careful: matches are once-in-a-lifetime.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nzpilot
First, welcome to FT cavalier9915.

If you are a 25K flyer with US, you at least receive *Alliance Silver benefits on UA. If you are a 50K flyer with UA, you already get Gold benefits, which would include the free bag. Perhaps a statement of the obvious.

I'm no expert on matches or challenges, but I did not think they really applied much at the 25K level. I get your point that it sux having to log the initial 25K on UA without 2P privileges, but I guess that's how most do it. You could take that UA Explorer Credit Card free for the 1st yr & get the privileges you want UA to match. Seems easy to me. Good luck in any case....
I think this is the OP's best option because (s)he can accrue United miles towards United elite status and pick up some of the benefits like free bag and early boarding.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
They're right. No poaching. If you want to get a UA challenge you can match to some other carrier first, then ask UA to match that new status.

This strategy will not work if United asks for recent flight history with the airline you are matching status. Some airlines are fine with just the elite card; others require proof of activity. Status-hopping is nothing new.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have changed that language to read "once in a 5 year period".
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by avidflyer
They have changed that language to read "once in a 5 year period".
Which "they" do you mean? I was thinking about DL in particular. Can totally imagine that the UA policy might have changed.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by izzik
I think this is the OP's best option because (s)he can accrue United miles towards United elite status and pick up some of the benefits like free bag and early boarding.

I disagree. On UA flights, OP can use MP number for crediting, but US number for FF privileges. That way he/she can accrue while still retaining
some of the benefits. He'll lose out on the Elite bonus for some time, though.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I happen to have had some first-hand experience with this. UA used to status match up to Premier Exec from most carriers (at least, they did from US Air) through the end of 2010. At that point in time, it seems as though at least UA, perhaps all of *Alliance agreed to not poach each others' flyers.

My short story. In December 2010 I inquired about a status match and was told that I qualified for up to Premier Exec, coming from US Airways. I was told, via e-mail, to simply let them know when I was ready to begin my matching period. I wrote in early January, 2011, asking to start the match, and was denied. I forwarded and cited my previous correspondence and was given an exception, but informed that from 1/1/2011 forward, there would be no more status matching with *Alliance airlines.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
I disagree. On UA flights, OP can use MP number for crediting, but US number for FF privileges. That way he/she can accrue while still retaining
some of the benefits. He'll lose out on the Elite bonus for some time, though.
You can't use 2 different numbers with UA or US. I've tried this before. You have to choose to fly on and credit to either your UA MP account or your US DM account, but you can't get status from one and credit to another.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which "they" do you mean? I was thinking about DL in particular. Can totally imagine that the UA policy might have changed.
The UA policy:

0064xxxxxxx

Hello Mr. AvidFlyer/Gamer/Ham Sandwich,

We would be happy to consider you for 1K® status through our Elite Status Match promotion. This offer is open the members who hold the equivalent status on American Airlines, Alitalia, Czech Airlines, Delta or Eva Airways only.

To get started, email, fax or mail a copy of your most recent Delta Airlines summary to the address below. The Delta Airlines summary should indicate your current elite status level. If you fax or mail your summary, be sure to include your email address.

Email: [email protected]

Fax: 605-343-4104, Attn: Elite Status Match

Mail:

Mileage Plus Service Center

Attn: Elite Status Match

P.O. Box 6121

Rapid City SD 57709-6121

We’ll respond to your request within 5-7 business days. If your status match is approved, we’ll upgrade you to 1K status for 90 days from the date of approval. Here’s what you’ll need to do to keep that status:

Fly 35,000 paid, qualifying miles or 40 segments within the 90-day conditional period.
Qualifying flights must be operated by United, United Express, Continental, Continental Connection or Continental Express with a United or Continental flight number and credited to the member's Mileage Plus account. Flights operated by United, United Express, Continental, Continental Connection or Continental Express that have a partner’s codeshare flight number do not qualify. Flights operated by any other airline do not qualify.
Once you meet the appropriate threshold, you’ll remain a 1K member through January 31, 2012. If you don’t meet the threshold, you’ll return to your previous level of membership.
Members who earn 1K status through this offer are not eligible for systemwide upgrades. Systemwide upgrades are earned when members earn 100,000 Elite Status Miles (EQM or 120 Elite Status Segments (EQS) in one calendar year.
You may earn elite status through the Elite Status Match promotion a maximum of one time in a five year period.
We wish you success in qualifying for a status match.

Nancy xxxxx

Service Director

MileagePlus
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cavalier9915
... asked whether UA cared at all whether I joined ...
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Companies do not have feelings, and no mass market company "cares" about any individual customer. You are an instance of a class of customers, if poaching US fliers serves UA's business objectives the policy will change, but it won't have anything to do with you. We shouldn't form emotional attachments (loyalties) to airlines, hotel chains, car rental companies, or banks because there is no reciprocal attachment.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BillBauman
You can't use 2 different numbers with UA or US. I've tried this before. You have to choose to fly on and credit to either your UA MP account or your US DM account, but you can't get status from one and credit to another.
I could have sworn this was the case for UA-operated flights.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Companies do not have feelings, and no mass market company "cares" about any individual customer. You are an instance of a class of customers, if poaching US fliers serves UA's business objectives the policy will change, but it won't have anything to do with you. We shouldn't form emotional attachments (loyalties) to airlines, hotel chains, car rental companies, or banks because there is no reciprocal attachment.
I love that you added banks in there. Whenever I get somebody who is defending an airline irrationally I always ask if they have that much passion for BOA or Chase or whoever they do their banking with? Inevitably I get "that is different"...no it is not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.