Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Continental President Plus Card baggage fee waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Hi, I just applied for Continental President Plus Card today. I had a trip on Untied (award) booked last month.

My question is: Will the baggage fee be waived on the flights? What concerns me is the T&C states that the flights have to be purchased using the CO card. Since I booked it prior to applying for the card, will the benefit still apply?

Have anyone received the benefit while the fare was not charged to the CO card?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Moving to the CO/UA section because this question pertains to a benefit administered by the airline, not by Chase.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

It used to be that the only requirement I knew of was that your OnePass account be associated with the credit card in question at the time you check in for the flight. The baggage benefit then seemed to apply regardless of how or when the ticket was paid fr. The relevant CO.com page is here and says this:
FIRST AND SECOND CHECKED BAGS FREE FOR CONTINENTAL AIRLINES PRESIDENTIAL PLUSSM CARD MEMBERS
First and Second Checked bag free
  • Primary cardmembers and a companion get their first and second standard checked bags free each time they fly Continental or United when they purchase their tickets with their Presidential Plus Card (a savings of up to $240 per round trip).
  • For credit card accounts opened prior to July 19, 2011: Effective for flights flown on or after Jan. 1, 2012, the number of customers receiving the free bag waiver will be limited to the primary cardmember and one companion.

FIRST CHECKED BAGS FREE FOR OTHER CONTINENTAL AIRLINES CHASE CREDIT CARD MEMBERS
First Checked bag free
  • Primary cardmembers and a companion get their first standard checked bag free each time they fly Continental or United when they purchase their tickets with their Card (a savings of up to $100 per round trip).
  • For credit card accounts opened prior to July 19, 2011: Effective for flights flown on or after Jan. 1, 2012, the number of customers receiving the free bag waiver will be limited to the primary cardmember and one companion.
I have no idea whether this restriction is enforced. I'd never noticed it before today,

Last edited by Xyzzy; Aug 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:55 pm
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
i just asked the same question today under a different title ("didn't use CO visa card --- 1st bag still free?"), and the 2 responses I got were that technically I should still have to pay the baggage fee since I didn't purchase with the CO credit card per their terms --- but the counter agent may or may not charge the fee. I guess it's ymmv, but they certainly don't highlight the requirement of needing to purchase the tix w/ the CO visa card to get the free 1st bag when trying to get you to apply for the card.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
D'h -- never mind

Last edited by Xyzzy; Aug 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:06 pm
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
According to the published rules only the Presidential Plus MasterCard has the purchase restrictin.
The terms you quoted for all other co credit cards also say you must purchase the tix with the card. You just didn't highlight the sentence.

However, possibly the terms changed July 19, 2011? they mention something about July 19, so maybe people who got ticketed bvefore July 19 can get the 1st free bag free still (by being grandfathered). does anyone know if this is a recent policy change?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:20 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ET
The terms you quoted for all other co credit cards also say you must purchase the tix with the card. You just didn't highlight the sentence.

However, possibly the terms changed July 19, 2011? they mention something about July 19, so maybe people who got ticketed bvefore July 19 can get the 1st free bag free still (by being grandfathered). does anyone know if this is a recent policy change?
It has always been in the T&C like that...but in practice does not work that way because they reference the OnePass Number on the reservation associated with the credit card account...not the credit card used to pay for the tickets...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ET
ps! Thanks for catching that! I'd never noticed that language before. I've fixed the text above.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for all the kind replies! It seems to me it is more important that the CO # on itinerary matches that associated with the card.

Hence my second question: The trip was booked on united, so it has my united FF#. I did link the CO and UA FF#, but do not know if that helps or not. If not, is there a way that I can add my CO# to the itinerary? It is UA flight booked through UA.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.