Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

17 June - Major Systems Outage Impacts United's Airport and Online Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

At SFO right now. All easy chickens shut down, long lines, no one able to check in. The problem may be systemwide, according to mrs Drryan, who was at the chicken counter and talking to an agent when everything went "pear-shaped" (to quote one of my favorite threads ever). I also overheard an agent saying that flights on runway are being turned back to gates. Should be a fun Friday evening...

------

Moderator note, because of the merger of several, similar threads, a message by UA Insider announcing this system outage is found in this thread at post #41. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm Reason: added detail to typo
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
IAD is at a standstill as well. Does not look good. I cannot believe this. Looking forward to a night (or more?) spent waiting to get home. Wonderful airline.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
.bomb has been down for the last hour.

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
.bomb appears to be participating in the downtime...

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
Same at ORD. Just boarded a flight where they were checking against a list and retaining half of the boarding pass. Mobile checkin was causing some problems.

Customer service center lines were quite long in concourse c.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Stuck at SFO as well. The most painful part was watching the CO fligjt at the adjacent gate board abd takeoff. Apparently their system is still up and running...people still want the legacy UA system to stay post-merger?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:16 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Unhappy

It is confirmed ladies and gentlemen... I was working a delayed and now canceled CLE IAD flight when the system shut down... it is systemwide/worldwide and our help desk does not have an estimated time of fix... sadly the flight canceled due to weather in iad and not this problem... I for one was a completely embarrased gate agent and that really never happens from me. I for one hope the system comes back up soon but again about 20 min ago they had no clear answer... I'm sorry for all of you who are traveling at this moment...

My best regards
Cleunited
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: United 1K Hilton Gold
It's affecting all the phone agents as well. I was buying a ticket for a fairly complicated international itinerary, and basically ended with - give me your number and we'll call you back when the computers are working.

Perhaps the computers became self-aware, and the constant repeat of "Rhapsody in Blue" drove them to revolt.

Not going to sit and wait by the phone....
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA PLAT PRO, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
Anyone else delayed because of United's computer system going down tonight (6/17/2011)?

I'm at SEA and no United flights are leaving, the GAs can't access seating charts, etc., and there are people apparently in the lobby of the airport that haven't even been able to check in. Our flight was scheduled for 10 minutes ago, and there hasn't been any update on when the computers might come back up. They are saying it's a "system-wide" issue, so are there no United flights taking off at other airports as well?

Now they are saying that the mainframes in both Chicago and Denver are down and that all mainline flights are grounded for now...
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by OCCAFlyer
Anyone else delayed because of United's computer system going down tonight (6/17/2011)?

I'm at SEA and no United flights are leaving, the GAs can't access seating charts, etc., and there are people apparently in the lobby of the airport that haven't even been able to check in. Our flight was scheduled for 10 minutes ago, and there hasn't been any update on when the computers might come back up. They are saying it's a "system-wide" issue, so are there no United flights taking off at other airports as well?
not delayed but have been trying to check in for my IAD-LHR flight tomorrow in C on the B77q. Hope it doesnt foul things up.

EDIT: is the new config 77q or 77i?
good luck getting out
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
and here I thought just .bomb was down
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
My co-photographer is supposed to be flying LAX-AUS tonight, and she said the computer system is down. She says they are still showing it to be on time...

I'm currently looking at a 1.5 hour delay on SWA from DAL-AUS.

Not a good night for flying.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
Standing in line at PHX, all easy checkin kiosks are down here as well. Overhearing that planes aren't going anywhere until the system is back up.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
yes, what a mess. Trying to get my daughter from SEA to SYR, want to cancel tonight's redeye award ticket thru IAD and re-book for tomorrow, guess we'll just have to see how it shakes out. Just now, calling the 1K desk, they said all computers are down, don't know the reason, call back later....
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, WN Companion Pass
I'm sitting on the plane at the gate in SFO. We were minutes from push back when they couldn't scan bags as they loaded anymore. All planes everywhere are apparently grounded and returning to gates to wait for the computers to come back up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.