Wiki Posts
Search

No mileage credit on Twitter Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
No mileage credit on Twitter Fares

My apologies if this has already been posted and discussed. Did a search and did not see anything, but it wouldn't be the first time I missed something.

USA Today reported today that UA's latest Twitter fare (Tware) offered from ORD to PHL for $90 round trip, and was "not eligible for Mileage Plus accrual."

Story here:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/blog.aspx

Also per UA's website X,I,O Booking Classes receive no mileage credit.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,3122,00.html

I believe "X" booking class is for Award Tickets, so that makes sense. Not sure about "I" and "O" booking classes

I am not sure I would utilize an Ulta Low fare on UA if I was not earning EQM. So many other airlines with similar fares and much better customer service IMHO.

What do you all think?

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
If you had gone to the URL provided in the Tweet you would have discovered the same. It was very clearly stated no mileage accrual on "Twares."
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
"Tware" = "G Fare" = "No MP miles" ...a stalking horse?

Recent "Twares" have advertised "G Fare" sales that come stripped of Mileage Plus miles. Is this an experiment? Is it something that will spread? Some commentary:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...=68495319.blog

(This thread is in part to help keep the "Post Great Tware deals..." thread streamlined.)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
If you had gone to the URL provided in the Tweet you would have discovered the same. It was very clearly stated no mileage accrual on "Twares."
Nevertheless, I appreciate this thread because I was not aware that Twitter fares did not earn mileage.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Nevertheless, I appreciate this thread because I was not aware that Twitter fares did not earn mileage.
The earlier ones did.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Ex some countries, these beasts have been around forever - namely France & the UK.

And actually they often were/are more vicious - some of these lowball fares booked into W and were not eligible for accrual, status, and upgrades, and - technically - for E+ access. They came stripped off all MP benefits.

If it is a dedicated fare bucket and clearly marked as a useless fare then I don't mind it ... but I hate the treacherous offers.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I reported this in the Tware thread. First when the SFO/LAS fare came out yesterday, or was it Wednesday, and booked into G with no miles specified. Posted the link to the USA Today article in the tware thread as well. Sucks, but these do look like pretty lowball fares. Obviously, no good for MR's - we'll see what UA does. Hope this is not a trend.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I= NC (upgraded biz)
O=XC (award biz)
X=NF (upgrade to F)

G is the very lowest restricted coach fare. Not surprising it doesn't get miles. I don't think .bomb will sell you a G fare (IIRC) under normal circumstances.

(Info courtesy of Ozstamp's fare code page on the sticky).
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just curious - where the twares to OZ mileless?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Very glad I have never taken advantage of a TWARE now! Nor will I if this trend continues...
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
Just curious - where the twares to OZ mileless?
I think the only mileless twares so far were the last two (ORD/DEN and SFO/LAS). Not sure what fare class the others booked into, but certainly not G, like these. Have never actually seen a "G" fare - are these even published normally? According to the booking code thread, G is listed as "Travel Industry Economy Class Fares."
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
We're all screwed.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
We're all screwed.
Nope, handle this right and it's UA that will be screwed. You guys are better at social media than they are, just spread the word via twitter, FB, et. al., go viral, and they'll have to back down.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Nope, handle this right and it's UA that will be screwed. You guys are better at social media than they are, just spread the word via twitter, FB, et. al., go viral, and they'll have to back down.
Bingo! Doing just that in a moment.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Nope, handle this right and it's UA that will be screwed.
I don't see any screwing happening or needed - UAL is performing an experiment. Vote with your dollars. Trying this will presumably tell United whether the average twitter user prefers "cheap" or "miles". If no one buys the mile-less twit-fares (hmmm, apt name IMNSHO) then one would expect United to stop offering them.

I certainly would "twit" (or whatever TF they call it) back to United and tell them you want Twares with miles....since they chose this venue for their experiment.

Richard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.