Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Huge line for dom->int UA bus transfer at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This was at about 10am this morning, the line stretched almost to the end of the moving walkway. I have seen a long line here at least once before. I would think it would be a lot faster to just exit security and go through security again at the international terminal than to wait in this line.

Quite a mess -- and certainly no priority for elites of any type or even for first class international passengers.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:45 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I saw the same last week. I would have walked. Crazy.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I would think it would be a lot faster to just exit security and go through security again at the international terminal than to wait in this line.
And on a beautiful day, with plenty of time for connection, I actually prefer doing exactly just that.

Being scrunched up on the bus after waiting a long time? No thanks.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
The last few times I connected through San Francisco, I walked over to the International terminal instead of waiting for the bus. It is much faster and there are seldom any lines at that time in the morning over at the Int. terminal. If you take the bus, there is another wait for the elevator after you get off the bus.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:01 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I don't know if it has anything to do with the bus having time restrictions from moving among the aircraft, but that shuttle service has no sense of urgency or customer service at all. They go when they want to go.

Last time I took it to connect to the SYD flight. We (a nearly full bus) sat on board for about 5 minutes while the driver just read his newspaper.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:16 pm

I know there is a new walkway being built that keeps you airside, anyone know when it's supposed to be finished?
Old May 15, 2008, 8:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jef7
And on a beautiful day, with plenty of time for connection, I actually prefer doing exactly just that.

Being scrunched up on the bus after waiting a long time? No thanks.
Agree. I always walk.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by TA
I don't know if it has anything to do with the bus having time restrictions from moving among the aircraft, but that shuttle service has no sense of urgency or customer service at all. They go when they want to go.
Absolutely true. Those drivers are as clueless as they come. Last month I took the shuttle dom>intl and sat by myself on the bus for 5 minutes (I was the only one on board). Asked the driver, "Uh, can we go now?" (Keep in mind there was another empty bus sitting behind us.) Driver says "No". Huh?

Fortunately a manager-type happened to be walking by outside the bus and told the driver to get going, and the driver argued with him! After muttering under his breath, about a minute later he closed the door. Apparently actually driving the bus was the one part he overlooked in his job description.

These guys make the IAD RCC matrons look like customer service pros!
Old May 15, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: UAL 1K , HHonors Diamond
I saw the same on Saturday May 10th on my way down the corridor where they place the exhibits - the line must have been at least 50 people! I agree, it's just easier to walk and go through security again.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:49 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
FWIW I think the transfer bus needs to start running earlier. I think it starts at 9am, and once when I was going to take it around 9am the line had built up to be so long from people who arrived before opening time that I said "screw it" and went landside. Perhaps if the bus started running say at 8:30am it would keep lines be a bit shorter later on by eliminating the backlog.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I know there is a new walkway being built that keeps you airside, anyone know when it's supposed to be finished?
Last Nov at SFO I saw some signs saying it's to be finished in Fall 2008. However, those signs seem gone when I was at SFO last week.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by worldtrav
At the current pace, 2012.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Last Friday the line was outrageous again. My LHR flight was due to depart in less than an hour, and there was no way I was going to trust that bus. I went to the International terminal, was directed to the "Crew" security line as an elite, and was in before the first bus of passengers got near. Unless you can walk right on the bus, or there is no line, I'd go with walking.

Also there appears to be activity on the walkway construction! Trailers, construction stuff, things piling up in the area. The TSA guy said there has been a lot of activity in the past week or so. Hope!
Old May 15, 2008, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ecofreak
Last Nov at SFO I saw some signs saying it's to be finished in Fall 2008. However, those signs seem gone when I was at SFO last week.
I think the signs are gone because they are actually starting something. Appears that way anyway. Lots of construction stuff nearby.
Old May 15, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Thu 5/8 around 930am the line was 42 people long when I walked by on my way to the RCC. Yeah, it looked so nuts I actually counted them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.