Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Use of Personal Headphones in UA C/F Cabins" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:27 am
Original Poster

I'm taking a transAltlantic flight run by United Airlines next month on a Boeing 777-200. I believe the aircraft has personal video screens in the back of each seat. I'd like to use my own headphones to connect to the in-flight entertainment system, but I don't know if they will work. Can you tell me what type/size of headphone jack there is on this family of aircraft? I'm in economy class.

Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:40 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
The airline specifies what type of headphone jack are on the aircraft, so a 777 from one airline can be different from another. Generally you will find either a standard mini phone jack or a speciallized twin phone jack (one hole for left, one for right) You can purchase the twin plug adapters at Radio Shack or at a place that sells travel accessories. I have seen them at Office Depot. Noise cancelling headphones conveniently come with the adapters. So, with your headphones and one of the adapters you should be prepared for almost any airline's IFE system.

BTW, welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I've never flown on an aircraft with the IFE system in the seat backs. I'm used to the old style headphones that were rented onboard for the duration of that flight and plugged in to each armrest. Those were basically a friction fit without a real jack, so no personal headphones would work. I already have the two-prong adapter. I guess I'm set. Thanks for your prompt reply.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:30 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
All of United's mainline equipment use standard 1/8" mini plugs for their IFE. In other words, any set of standard headphones will work. There is an extra plug in International First and Business Class for the United-provided noise cancelling headphones, but a standard set of headphones will work as well.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Headset jacks in Int'l C

The headphone adapters in United (old) C have two asymmetric prongs. All the "airline adapters" I have seen use prongs of the same diameter. Is there an adapter available that works with United's implementation?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This is not the same plug as the two-prongs you see on other airlines. The first port is a standard stereo mini; the second is to power the noise canceling headphones that UA uses. Any set of headphones works when plugged into the stereo mini jack.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
The headphone adapters in United (old) C have two asymmetric prongs. All the "airline adapters" I have seen use prongs of the same diameter. Is there an adapter available that works with United's implementation?
I believe any regular headset will work with united's headphone jacks. the second smaller prong only does all the "noise-canceling-work" for the provided headset, i.e. your own headset will work just fine by using only the bigger prong.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA AA DL
Hello

The United 777 BC configuration has two jacks, but they are two different sizes. The plug on my behind-the-ear Sennheiser earphones, which I believe is 1/8 inch diameter, won't fit into either port. Which one is the output power for their noise canceling headset, the larger or the smaller port? What are the actual sizes of those jacks? Yes, I searched this forum and turned up some useful information but nothing that specifies the jack sizes. Of course I want to use my own headset. If I'm supposed to use one of these two ports, which one is it and what adapter do I need?

Thanks

RedRock2
Ashburn VA
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
My Sennheiser PX250 plug fit the UA 777s.

Last edited by SJUAMMF; Sep 27, 2008 at 8:51 pm
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm moving this over to the UA forum where it will be in among more appropriate audience.

-sbm12
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
United 777's do not have seat-back IFE systems in Economy, only in Business and First.

Their headphones in economy use a standard 3.5mm headphone socket (ie, the same thing as on an iPod or any other portable device).

In Business and First it's the same plug, with a second plug for the power for their standard noise canceling headphones. Any standard headphones will still fit, using the first plug only.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by docbert
United 777's do not have seat-back IFE systems in Economy, only in Business and First.

Their headphones in economy use a standard 3.5mm headphone socket (ie, the same thing as on an iPod or any other portable device).

In Business and First it's the same plug, with a second plug for the power for their standard noise canceling headphones. Any standard headphones will still fit, using the first plug only.
United 747's do not have seat back IFE systems in Economy, but the TATL and Trans Pacific 777 and 767 have seat back IFE systems with 9 channels of looping entertainment.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by wmoyes
I'm taking a transAltlantic flight run by United Airlines next month on a Boeing 777-200. .... Can you tell me what type/size of headphone jack there is on this family of aircraft? I'm in economy class..
To sum it up as there has been a bit of miss-info.
  • The 3 class international 777s have individual seat back screens in economy
  • The jack is a 3.5 mm standard stereo earphone jack
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:26 pm

Question Proper Audio Adapter?---Sorry If Wrong Place to Post

I want to bring the right audio adapter so I can use my own headphones and attach them/plug in to seat console. I'm flying in coach on a 763 to Hawaii (from LAX).

What audio connectors does United use? 1-prong or 2-prong? 2.5mm? 3.5mm? 6.3mm? or................?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry again if this was wrong place to post this question.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I've never (that I can remember, I'm not that old) been on a united plane that my 3.5mm Bose didn't work on.

Last edited by mpw81; Dec 7, 2008 at 1:58 pm Reason: gramatical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.