But I have gotten into SQ lounges in HKG and SFO with no 1K card, so YMMV
What...do you flash them or something?

I always get asked for a card.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by UNITED959
What...do you flash them or something?

I always get asked for a card.

Let's not give away any more secrets shall we?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indo79
Let's not give away any more secrets shall we?
Trench coat will be my new flying attire.

Or maybe I'll really dork it up and wear a blazer.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
OK, I am really confused on that the big deal is about the SQ lounge at SFO! I am on UA900 today SFO-FRA in F (SWU from C). On a lark, I decided to check out the 4 lounges one right after another (SQ, SQ First, RCC, and UA First) to see the difference. Here is how I ranked them:

UA IFL:
+ By far the best. More spacious, not crowded at all, pretty good food (it has gotten better recently). Internet access via 24 hour card.
- Dragon Matrons are insufferable! The same Japanese matron who I see every time. Surly, unhelpful, slow, and in general just not a happy person. Worst possible choice of people to put at the front of the IFL!!!

RCC:
+ I rate RCC next best. Lots of room. Often crowded, but I always get a good seat. The dragons are actually more friendly that the IFL dragons!
- Limited booze access (I don't drink, so no issue for me). Food is the worst of all 4 lounges. No Internet access.

SQ IFL:
+ Food is the best of all the lounges. But really not that much better than UA IFL. The person at the front (I cannot call her a dragon, she was too nice!) was wonderful. Of course, same person for SQ regular lounge, but really nice. Internet access.
- Boy is that place SMALL!!! The chairs are uncomfortable to me. I just felt claustrophobic!!

SQ lounge:
+ worst of the 4, but still a very good lounge. Great food (as good as the UA IFL, but with less selection. Quality over quantity. Internet access. Friendly staff.
- Again, rather small. Uncomfortable seats.

So, bottom line, I pick UA over SQ. And I typically hate UA. I quit their RCC last year and never looked back. Admittedly, my #1 and #2 criteria are space and privacy. I don't like to feel cramped. And SQ was cramped.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by blueman2
Here is how I ranked them
Are you for real?
  • The RCC is always overcrowded, and no food at all (crackers are not food). The terminal is nicer than the lounge.
  • The UA IFL is OK, but still below the SKL, and nowhere near what a First Class lounge should be. Quantity of food is irrelevant - only the quality is. The condition of the furniture in the IFL is also a disgrace.
  • I find the SKL to be the perfect size, with friendlier staff and better amenities with a better view to boot. I don't see how you found the seats uncomfortable - we find them to be very nice, and in far better condition than the UA lounges.
  • We didn't try the SQ IFL, so I can't really comment on it. We decided to try the UA IFL intead. We won't make that mistake again.
You rate privacy as one of your top two criteria, but how do the cavernous UA lounges give any semblence of privacy?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Agreed on the RCC food. It is just crackers and fruit. I also agree the RCC can sometimes have a lot of people, but it just never feels crowded to me. The SQ lounge, even 1/2 full today, felt cramped!

As for the UA IFL, I have to completely disagree on the condition of the furniture. Not great, but pretty darn good. In fact, the SFO IFL has one of the nicest feeling IFLs I have been in. The only real complaint is the quality of the UA staff there. TERRIBLE!!

I could see loosing an argument on whether SQ is better than the RCC, but I am strongly in favor of UA IFL over SQ (IFL or regular). And I tend to be very critical of UA RCCs and lounges.

As for privacy, it is the same as my opinion on seats 1A or 1J on the 747 in F. Very private, but way too cramped for me. I hate those seats. I love the feeling of 2A or 2J, or better yet, the feeling of 777 F. I just hate the feeling of small places. I love wide open spaces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.