Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA expanding Wi-Fi to 737, 757 fleet (over 200 planes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....660&highlight=

United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL) today announced its wholly owned subsidiary Continental Airlines has executed a letter of intent with inflight entertainment provider LiveTV to offer inflight Wi-Fi via Ka-band beginning next year. The company plans to offer the service on more than 200 domestic Boeing 737 and 757 aircraft equipped with DIRECTV(R), providing onboard connectivity and more than 95 channels of live television programming to customers flying within the continental United States.
Imagine this means the pre-merger CO 737/757s.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice, it's the right direction, but not until next year? DL and AA have had this for a year already.

Hello EXP!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Nice, it's the right direction, but not until next year? DL and AA have had this for a year already.

Hello EXP!
Agreed it's a step in the right direction, however, it will be interesting to see what the latency is like vs. Gogo's ground based system.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

Hello EXP!
Wifi on CO was delayed by a failed experiment with another vendor:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...-for-kiteline/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...uncertain.html
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Mostly 737-700/800/900. 752s do not have direct TV but have AVOD. 767/777 have AVOD. Only 753s have direct TV. I guess all of CO's fleet will have some sort of IFE.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Also on a pre-merger UA 757

I was on a UA 757 (pre-merger UA, not p.s.) SFO-LAX last week that was WiFi equipped. There was a sticker on the aircraft skin just to the right of the boarding door and an announcement was made that WiFi during the flight was free as this was a test period.

Naturally the flight attendants had a difficult time getting everybody to shut off their electronics for landing.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Most likely it was this aircraft:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-s-757-a.html
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I don't know what life will hold post-fleet integration but I spend most my domestic life on an Airbus. I'm thrilled to see the new UA going in this direction but I wish it would be expanded to all aircraft.

It's interesting (just interesting, not a complaint) how long this has taken for the whole industry. I used inflight internet on ANA crossing the Pacific back in 2006.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
It's interesting (just interesting, not a complaint) how long this has taken for the whole industry. I used inflight internet on ANA crossing the Pacific back in 2006.
I second this (also not a complaint) but I'm pretty familiar with the economics of both conversion as well as revenue potential and in-flight internet is an absolute no-brainer. With that said, the airline industry has had other things to think about over the past 6-7 years.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Mostly 737-700/800/900. 752s do not have direct TV but have AVOD. 767/777 have AVOD. Only 753s have direct TV. I guess all of CO's fleet will have some sort of IFE.
There was no DirecTV on the 753 I flew in December.

According to this page on CO.com, http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...eetStatus.aspx, none of the 753s have been outfitted with DirecTV..

I'm wonder what this means for GoGo.. Will they continue to use two different providers, or dump GoGo?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
WiFi

I have never flow on a WiFi enabled bird, is it free or like the RCC where you simply put in your number or the T-Moble (soon to be At&t) number?

This could be great to have!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:24 pm

Nice, it's the right direction, but not until next year?
Correct. The satellite won't be launched into orbit until later this year.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Madone59
I have never flow on a WiFi enabled bird, is it free or like the RCC where you simply put in your number or the T-Moble (soon to be At&t) number?

This could be great to have!
not usually free (sometimes with promos). PS flights use GoGo and there are a series of plans -- single one off is $12.95 for a transcon.

In general across the industry transcons are roughly between $8-$13, shorter flights are less.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'm wonder what this means for GoGo.. Will they continue to use two different providers, or dump GoGo?
My guess is that p.s. will get DirecTV at some point and GoGo will be dropped then...

It's a relatively small subfleet to migrate.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Anybody know pricing?

Will it be $6 for the TV and then another $12 or whatever for internet? It's gonna get to the point where the inflight stuff will cost as much as the tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.