Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA "gives" 1k and GS to many, many people each year without consulting other 1k's or GS's so that's a moot point.

But OK, say we have to prove we are going to be high yield customers. At least AA could specify what that meant up front if it wanted to be serious about this.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
UA "gives" 1k and GS to many, many people each year without consulting other 1k's or GS's so that's a moot point.

But OK, say we have to prove we are going to be high yield customers. At least AA could specify what that meant up front if it wanted to be serious about this.
UA is now openly status matching to 1K after you complete 35K miles in 90 days.

I would not be surprised if AA starts status matching to Ex Plat now after completing a challenge.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by rubenj

I would not be surprised if AA starts status matching to Ex Plat now after completing a challenge.
Must be a good thing.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Was offered 1K at 30,000 miles/30 segments, 1P at 15,000 miles/15 segments.

Unfortunately I got busy and could not do it within the 90 day period. Therefore, if I switch to UA eventually, I'll likely have to start from scratch.

For those considering switching to AA, I do enjoy the airline and onboard service. I do not enjoy the constant worry about labor costs and the future of the airline. We also had to deal with some deep capacity cuts from SFO last year and the year before.

Most of the destinations that AA flies to from SFO are places I go to (NYC etc). The only direct flights that would be of convenience to me on UA are SFO-MSP (of which I fly 3x a year)and SFO-STL of which I fly atleast 1x a year. I figure the ORD/DFW connections would only net me more miles anyway.

So final verdict is I am sticking with AA until UACO final product is released and the FF benefits become clearer.

Last edited by demkr; Jan 18, 2011 at 3:33 am
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
For anyone else considering diversifying their flying in 2011 a little bit: AA recently offered me an Exec Plat challenge (25,000 points in 90 days), immediate Plat status. Not quite as nice as the new UA match with immediate 1K status, but still not to be sneezed at.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by sensei
For anyone else considering diversifying their flying in 2011 a little bit: AA recently offered me an Exec Plat challenge (25,000 points in 90 days), immediate Plat status. Not quite as nice as the new UA match with immediate 1K status, but still not to be sneezed at.
This is good news. Sounds like the kind of thing to start after April 1 so that the 90 days expires after June 30, giving you more than a year of Exec Plat.

I'm going to consider it seriously if when I call up, they offer it.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Did you call or email them?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What's the co-pay on that challenge?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
What's the co-pay on that challenge?
No fee. I called AAdvantage and received a follow-up call from a lady at the AA Executive Office. Definitely beats the Plat challenge with fee!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is good news. Sounds like the kind of thing to start after April 1 so that the 90 days expires after June 30, giving you more than a year of Exec Plat.

I'm going to consider it seriously if when I call up, they offer it.
Not quite, if you were assuming the expiration of the obtained status is the same as the existing Gold/Platinum challenge.

In the case of the existing offer (and probably this EXP challenge offer), the challenge has to start after June 15 for the status to be valid for one additional year.

A more interesting question is whether this EXP challenge gives 8 evips. If it does, it is almost worth it to do a mileage run, just to get the 8 evips (AA's version of SWU, for those more familiar with UA's program).
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
No fee. I called AAdvantage and received a follow-up call from a lady at the AA Executive Office. Definitely beats the Plat challenge with fee!
Could be that they're willing to offer it with no fee since you're GS.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
With AA and UA both offering top tier challenges, I wonder which airline will attract the largest number of defectors?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Is the challenge offered as 50,000 miles or xxx AA points or is it strictly miles?? If they're offering it both ways a few segment runs might be easier.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Not quite, if you were assuming the expiration of the obtained status is the same as the existing Gold/Platinum challenge.

In the case of the existing offer (and probably this EXP challenge offer), the challenge has to start after June 15 for the status to be valid for one additional year.

A more interesting question is whether this EXP challenge gives 8 evips. If it does, it is almost worth it to do a mileage run, just to get the 8 evips (AA's version of SWU, for those more familiar with UA's program).
Thanks, useful to know.

Originally Posted by joediver
Is the challenge offered as 50,000 miles or xxx AA points or is it strictly miles?? If they're offering it both ways a few segment runs might be easier.
All AA challenges are just points.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 27, 2011 at 11:53 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA - Silver and dropping...
Originally Posted by rubenj

I called AA last week because I was upset at no offer from United and I flew over 80k last year. UA's excuse was that last year was my first MP year and the promotion was only available to existing members. I flew 80+ in +-10 months!! AA offered to status match me at 1P plus offer a mileage challenge for EP!

Didn't ask about the upgrade certs though....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.