Wiki Posts
Search

New landing preparation procedures...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
New landing preparation procedures...

Was talking to one of my former flying partners and she told me that UA in revising the landing preparation procedures in the cabin. Beginning in October, when the double-chime sounds, indicating the aircraft is passing below 18,000 feet, the flight attendants are supposed to prepare the cabin for landing (end service, collect all glasses, seats upright & locked, luggage stowed, etc). That is in contrast to the old way of doing all of those things when the cockpit made the announcement "flight attendants prepare the cabin for landing." The landing announcement will still be made, but it will serve only to let the flight attendants to know they should take their jumpseats.

One question I had, which my friend could not answer, is whether the flight deck will be a little more conservative with the double-chimes now...I've had many occasions in the last year where the chimes are sounded 30 to 35 minutes prior to landing. Not a huge deal on long-haul, but on a SFO-LAX flight, which lasts 50 minutes will this now be an excuse for some unmotivated crews to NOT do any service at all due to "time limitations?"

Last edited by JohnnyJet; Aug 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm Reason: Updated the timing of the change...
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Interesting...if the system worked for 35 years or so, why change it now? Did something happen?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Ugh. Sounds like an excuse to cut service off 20 minutes earlier.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. But how could the flight deck control when the double chime sounds? It's automated as the aircraft passes through 18,000 feet, no?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Interesting. But how could the flight deck control when the double chime sounds? It's automated as the aircraft passes through 18,000 feet, no?
No, they ring it themselves by cycling the "No Smoking Sign"...and while it's supposed to be 18,000ft I've found that crews do it at different times. It also indicates sterile cockpit (safety sensitive period, where FAs can only call cockpit for safety related issues) so when I was still flying I had a lot of crews do it earlier when we were going into a really busy airport where they had a more intense workload.

I'm sure Aluminum Driver can provide more info as to when/how it's supposed to be done.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
WHY can I not

remember the term for the new, precise landing procedure already in use at least on a trial basis at a few airports? This is the one that's ATC computer-controlled and in effect provides a seamless and continuous descent (from 18K feet?) with the engines essentially at idle, for the entire sequence, conserves fuel and allows most efficient use of separations and airspace.
I'm sure someone will be quick to chide/correct/flame/assist me, but if the procedure is being ever more widely deployed, could it relate to the new cabin prep for landing mentioned above in this thread?
Inquiring minds, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by JohnnyJet
....the flight attendants are supposed to prepare the cabin for landing (end service, collect all glasses, seats upright & locked, luggage stowed, etc)...
You are allowed to keep your drink if it is in a plastic cup.
In UA F, FAs have always been willing to ptransfer my unfinished drink into plastic when they are collecting glasses, and occasionally when I ask if there's time for another drink after the start of descent announcement, it will be brought for me in plastic without asking.
This is consistent on UA; other airlines it seems to vary more. No UA FA has ever even seemed surprised by this request. On Alaska they are willing to do it, but act like it's the first time anybody has ever asked.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dcutcher
remember the term for the new, precise landing procedure already in use at least on a trial basis at a few airports?
Are you referring to Continuous Descent Approach (a.k.a. Optimized Profile Descent)?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Be interesting to see if it is announced by UA or just put in service. Or if it is just tested first. Or if it will really happen at all. I'm sure we'll get reports.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:43 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Skywest on UX flights has been following this cabin locked-up procedure below 18000 for some time now. I've often wondered why it took a much more aggressive posture than UA mainline on it and, like others, wonder why UA mainline is changing.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is also standard procedure for many international airlines - there is no such thing as putting your seatback upright just minutes before departure. While I don't like it, I can see how it may eliminate the need to scramble last minute to get glasses and stuff picked up before the landing occurs.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Be interesting to see if it is announced by UA or just put in service. Or if it is just tested first. Or if it will really happen at all. I'm sure we'll get reports.
Given UA's track record in releasing things before they are ready to be adapted system wide, I'd be surprised if they did any testing..
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
remember the term for the new, precise landing procedure already in use at least on a trial basis at a few airports? This is the one that's ATC computer-controlled and in effect provides a seamless and continuous descent (from 18K feet?) with the engines essentially at idle, for the entire sequence, conserves fuel and allows most efficient use of separations and airspace.
I'm sure someone will be quick to chide/correct/flame/assist me, but if the procedure is being ever more widely deployed, could it relate to the new cabin prep for landing mentioned above in this thread?
Inquiring minds, etc.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you referring to Continuous Descent Approach (a.k.a. Optimized Profile Descent)?
Yes, continuous descent from cruise altitude is being tested as a fuel saving measure. The idea is to operate at cruise altitude and thrust setting until you reach the point where you start descent. Then thrust is set to idle power and the aircraft descends at idle all the way to touchdown.

However, I doubt that this is driving the changes in UA procedures. Continuous descent capability is pretty much experimental right now and not expected to be widely introduced for a long while.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyJet
No, they ring it themselves by cycling the "No Smoking Sign"...and while it's supposed to be 18,000ft I've found that crews do it at different times. It also indicates sterile cockpit (safety sensitive period, where FAs can only call cockpit for safety related issues) so when I was still flying I had a lot of crews do it earlier when we were going into a really busy airport where they had a more intense workload.

I'm sure Aluminum Driver can provide more info as to when/how it's supposed to be done.
Correct, we do it as we are passing through 18,000 normally, although it might change a little based on how busy we are. If we have a little more time, I might delay the chime just a little, since we're not supposed to chat with the folks once we go sterile cockpit. If I've had the seatbelt sign on for a while, and have a chance to get it off for moment before landing, I may turn it on at 17,000, say our good-byes, then double ding. But, that is not the normal SOP, 18,000 feet is.

As for the FA's cleaning up the cabins earlier, I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense I guess. We are supposed to give them the prepare for landing at least 5 min prior to landing, but even then that is them rushing through the cabin to make sure everyone is set for landing. I guess they are trying to give them a little more time to go through the cabin. Not a huge deal since you might be talking 5-10 minutes here.

Inquiring minds, etc.
Yeah, it's nice in theory but no one does it.

AD
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Yeah, it's nice in theory but no one does it.
The benefits are good, and once the FAA figures out how to fold it into the NAS, I expect we'll see more of it (or something similar) in the not too distant future (maybe 5-10 years?). But then again, how long have we been waiting for ADS-B?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.