Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JSD's comprehensive guide to AA for UA 1Ks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by tom911
UA Premier Executive is the equivalent of AA Platinum.
One caveat...AA's Concierge Key is not the same as UA's Global Services--CK does not confer automatic EXP and trump EXP in the upgrade pecking order. So as AA PLT, you'll pay for most of your upgrades but will be second in line for upgrades rather than third.

cheers!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:28 pm

Well, I did it...

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
No UDUs for Plats. But with the e500s, you should have better success than you had with UDU on UA.

And yes, you need to call AA to initiate the challenge. I believe the fee is $150 and you have 3 months from the chosen start date (not necessarily the date yo call) to fly 10,000 EQP. That means it is revenue-centric, but an easy threshold to hit for someone that's a 1K on UA, IMO.
Called AA just a few minutes ago to find out more about the Plat challenge.

The phone agent could not have been more helpful / friendly.

1) $200 to initiate the Platinum Challenge (depends upon start month because if you start in some months you get one and 1/2 years of Plat), pick your start date 1st or 15th of any month.

2) IF you ask, they will give you Gold from Day 1 while you are doing the Plat challenge. You must ask the agent for this - it is not the default! (Thanks FT / AA Wiki!)

3) Earn 10,000 EQP (Points do not equal miles!) and I'll have Plat until the end of February 2012.

Oh, and then the nice agent looked at my AA account and noticed I had about 65K expired RDM's... She mentioned that when I sign up for the Plat Challenge, I should also ask for the 'Re-engagement Challenge'. Basically after I spend a certain amount ($750?) on AA I will get 50K miles back at no charge. Great deal.

Then she said after that I could do a Level 2 (?) challenge by getting the Citi AA card and that my other 15K miles would be reinstated at no charge.

So:

- I'll have Plat until 2/12 after 10,000 EQP
- I'll get 65,000 RDM's reinstated at no charge
- I'll have the 30,000 mile bonus from signing up for the Citi AA card
- plus the RDM's I earn achieving the Plat challenge...

Not a bad deal in my book. $200 for the challenge plus the cost to earn 10,000 EQP. I'll be a Plat and have 100K + RDM's to redeem.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
I like the way AA does it. I want a carrier that wants me. Looks like they have a good entry point for the active FF. United just doesn't care about it's customers - It's bigger than they are.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
what number do you call?

I'm interested. I have done almost 170K miles on UA to Asia this year.
The 747's I fly to Shanghai and HKG are horrible. I can't believe UA still hasn't upgraded those relics.

UA, you just gave me a reason to consider OneWorld.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:58 pm

AA Wiki

Originally Posted by junipermike
I'm interested. I have done almost 170K miles on UA to Asia this year.
The 747's I fly to Shanghai and HKG are horrible. I can't believe UA still hasn't upgraded those relics.

UA, you just gave me a reason to consider OneWorld.
Does AA offer status matches or Challenges?

Signing up for a Challenge
To enroll in a challenge, call AAdvantage customer service at +1 800-882-8880.

AA offers unpublished Challenges to obtain GLD or PLT status more quickly. Note that these 3-month Challenges are subject to enrollment fees, have defined start and end dates that can affect how long your status lasts, and are based on elite-qualifying points (5K / 10K), not miles. Status is conferred upon successful completion of a Challenge. (It has been reported that, as of late 2009, participants with elite status on another airline may be conferred GLD status immediately for the duration of their Challenge.) Officially, there is no corresponding EXP Challenge, although a very small number of targeted fliers may be invited to participate in an analogous offer.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
thinking of switching over...

(this may be a moot point if Continental kills Economy Plus):

regarding economy on AA - do all Elites get to pre-select Exit row in the event you dont get into first? or just exp? How difficult is it to get these exit row seats? (ie, if you book less than a week in advance, are you screwed?)

Phrased another way, if I "downgrade" from 1K to Platinum through a challenge, how often will I be stuck in non exit row Economy?

also, are there any weird quirks regarding upgrades for transcons (ie, JFK-SFO) for EXPs and Platinums? (a la no comp UDU on United)

thanks!

Last edited by chicagoprofit; Dec 22, 2010 at 11:53 pm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by chicagoprofit
also, how do upgrades work for transcons (ie, JFK-SFO) for EXPs and Platinums?
EXPs get comped if space is available. We do not accrue domestic upgrades in account. Platinums will need to use 500 mile upgrade certs earned either through flying or purchasing ($30 per 500 miles).

I'll defer on emergency exit row as I haven't been a Platinum since 2002 and have never been Gold.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
regarding economy on AA - do all Elites get to pre-select Exit row in the event you dont get into first? or just exp? How difficult is it to get these exit row seats? (ie, if you book less than a week in advance, are you screwed?)

Phrased another way, if I "downgrade" from 1K to Platinum through a challenge, how often will I be stuck in non exit row Economy?
During my challenge period it was tough as I would be in Group 3 or Group 4 for boarding and did not have a lot of selection over seats. I was always able to snag a minimum of an aisle seat though. Once I hit Platinum, there was no problem in selecting exit rows and getting full benefits.

Booking one week in advance can be a crap shoot with respect to getting exit rows, however, you should always be able to grab a decent seat. Keep checking your reservation online and at the upgrade window for EXP seats do open up as EXPs on the upgrade list get their upgrades and free up choice seats.

Trust me...it might be a very small downgrade from 1K to Platinum, but it is a very big upgrade from 1K to EXP!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by SNA1K
Trust me...it might be a very small downgrade from 1K to Platinum, but it is a very big upgrade from 1K to EXP!
Would you kindly elaborate? I am very interested to know you why take EXP to be a very big upgrade from 1K.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Would you kindly elaborate? I am very interested to know you why take EXP to be a very big upgrade from 1K.
+1
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by schley
+1
Having been 1K and EXP simultaneously last year, I'll say I agree with SNA1K. UA closed the gap significantly with UDU, but my preference is still EXP over 1K (which is why I chose to throw my emphasis into requalifying for EXP about mid-year and have ended up EXP and 1P this year). Briefly, I most appreciated the extra two system-wide upgrades that come with EXP and felt the EXP desk was generally a cut above the 1K desk (particularly in IROPS).

That is totally subjective and only my opinion, of course, but it seems SNA1K would agree.

cheers and happy travels!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Can JSD/ someone with current comparative knowledge and experience of both 1k and exp statuses update this thread. Many thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
All elites get access to exit rows and the premium seats in the front of the Y cabin. From my experience, getting the exit rows isn't hard at all. For example, I've flown quite a bit on TUS-DFW and DFW-TUS, which is an extremely elite-heavy route, especially on Mondays and Fridays. Some of my trips have been booked at the last minute when the flight was oversold. Even with this, I'm pretty sure that I've gotten an exit row every time (maybe a middle exit seat once or twice). Sometimes, if you book close to departure, all seats will be taken if the flight is heavily booked. But in this case, there will still be some people whose upgrades will clear within a day or two of departure and this will free up some exit row seats. So if I can't get a good assignment upon booking, I just keep checking closer to departure. It's always worked. Like I said, I've always been able to get an exit seat one way or another. On the S80s, these exit seats are particularly spacious.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:55 pm

If only I'd signed up for AA ... I'll be well on the way to Lifetime Platinum (based on ALL miles accrued so far)

Would have been neat to have it on MP as well ... oh well
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:10 am

Can JSD/ someone with current comparative knowledge and experience of both 1k and exp statuses update this thread. Many thanks!
you're welcome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.