Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Seat 33A/K on UA's 747 - How's this a legal revenue seat to sell?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K

I enjoyed this lovely "exit row window" seat from ORD to SFO yesterday:
"Leg room:"
- Right leg: 8 inches
- Left leg: 10 inches

Great to see how UAL is maximizing the revenue on each flight by selling seats that have room for your torso but not the legs. Especially if they stick 6'1'' Premier Execs into these "slots"

Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:59 am

What seat/aircraft type was this?

(I want to avoid it!)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K
Seat 33K and 33A on 747-400
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:05 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I am guessing you didn't have that seat, as the picture with your legs, you are actually turning your legs into it, most likely from the seat next to it. Most people (if they weren't trying to dramatize for a picture) would at the least make the legs go parallel (even though it does have an angle) or even better, slope your legs AWAY from it.

A picture is worth 1000 words, that is. But any photographer knows how to make one look more dramatic by using lighting, angels, cropping, and perspective.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Cohall

(I want to avoid it!)
Looks like the 777 or 747..
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
HMMM

Well, it let's you get a leg up...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by fastair
I am guessing you didn't have that seat, as the picture with your legs, you are actually turning your legs into it, most likely from the seat next to it. Most people (if they weren't trying to dramatize for a picture) would at the least make the legs go parallel (even though it does have an angle) or even better, slope your legs AWAY from it.

A picture is worth 1000 words, that is. But any photographer knows how to make one look more dramatic by using lighting, angels, cropping, and perspective.
agreed that you can manipulate the angles to prove a point, but in this case, I don't think there's much of that happening.

I can confidently say that it would be a miserable seat to sit in. You can't really angle yourself much, due to the immovable exit row arm rests. Your left leg would probably be fine, but trying to contort your right leg around it for 8-10 hours would be pretty unbearable.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:22 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I look at the first photo and see what looks like a white air sickness bag sticking out from the seat pocket tacked to the cabin wall. I look at the second and see what looks like a white air sickness bag next to the person's right knee. It looks like to me the person taking the photo is sitting in seat 33K, legs straight forward.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MrFocus
This is why you should ALWAYS check SeatGuru before selecting a seat:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._747-400_B.php

Those seats are marked as red for good reason!

Tim
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by fastair

Not quite sure where this is coming from.. are you saying when he took the photo he's actually sitting in the seat next to it and angling his legs towards the door? You can clearly see that's not the case because the air sick bag is right next to his leg in the close-up..and you can also see the same air sick bag hanging out of the side pocket in the other pic. He was definitely sitting in that seat.

As far as it being "legal".. not every coach seat is a dream to sit in and when flying a plane you're unfamiliar with you should always check SeatGuru.com... in this case the 'Guru has 33A and K marked clearly in red so you know to avoid them.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._747-400_B.php
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Seatguru shows these as "red' seats (which pretty much means stay away!); somes points the site makes re: this seat
  • no legroom
  • small traytable
  • reduced seat width
  • unable to see video screen
  • pax congregating in this area

Doesn't sound like this would be a fun ride at all.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Especially if they stick 6'1'' Premier Execs into these "slots"
In fairness to UA that is NOT the E+ section, so while a 1P (or above) could reserve it.... they are not forced to select them.

And FWIW, this probably belongs in the 744 seating thread.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
I enjoyed this lovely "exit row window" seat from ORD to SFO yesterday:
"Leg room:"
- Right leg: 8 inches
- Left leg: 10 inches

Great to see how UAL is maximizing the revenue on each flight by selling seats that have room for your torso but not the legs. Especially if they stick 6'1'' Premier Execs into these "slots"
Hmmmm... what would a Premier Exec be doing on a E- seat??

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 10, 2010 at 9:30 am Reason: removed images
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Exit rows, even in the Economy Cabin (Row 22 on a 767 Domestic, for example) are often better than some E+ seats. Sadly, for the one the OP is describing, this isn't always the case.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Cohall

(I want to avoid it!)
I always avoid the window seat on exit rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.