Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My company dropped UA as a preferred carrier - Need advice - and a general discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My company dropped UA as a preferred carrier - Need advice - and a general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC

I am listening to my company's execs explain that they are dropping UA as a preferred airline. As a consolation, they have negotiated status match and club lounge access with either Delta or AA.

Having just ramped up 1k status, I'll have to bite the bullet and eventually trade upgrades.

Based 80% out of SFO and 20% out of CDG I often fly from SFO to eastern Asia and all over the west, midwest, and southwest (including Texas). Will be flying from CDG across Europe and a little to US and Asia.

I now need to assess whether Delta or American (or some other carrier) makes the most sense. Any thoughts which program makes the best alternative to UA?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Thats rough, especially for an SFO based traveler, UA by far and large the leader in non stops around the West coast and even more so to Asia.

Do they want to you to fly codeshare flights on their alliance partners to replace you Asia travel? Neither DL or AA really have any big international presence at SFO.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Although I've never drifted away from MP, I've always assumed that AA would be my backup should the day come where UA is no longer an option.

Part of this is for practical reasons that don't apply to you - I'm based in ORD, so it makes sense for me in having the broadest array of non-stop options. Like you, AA frequently offers a status match to employees of my firm (high travel management consulting) including a 1K to EXP option.

Also pushing me in the direction of AA would be that I just can't stomach the thought of having to frequently connect through ATL; it's one of my least favorite airports for a variety of reason.

Without ever really checking the math behind this thought, I've always been under the impression that AA had better mileage redemption levels and options than DL. Additionally, I feel that I would probably have a better intuitive understanding of the AA program as UA typically mirrors a number of the AA promotions - I don't see this as much between UA and DL.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Change employers.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by tripaddict

Having just ramped up 1k status, .........

I now need to assess whether Delta or American (or some other carrier) makes the most sense. Any thoughts which program makes the best alternative to UA?
Which ever one does a status match for you
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
They will all status match (as OP says). so which one would be better?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Delta (SkyTeam) over American (oneworld) due to traveling needs. Air France (SkyTeam) has lots of flights out of its main hub at CDG. With Delta buying NW, they have pretty good major East Asia city coverage out of NRT. DL flies SFO-NRT nonstop or you could take Korean SFO-ICN.

With AA/oneworld, CDG is pretty weak unless you want to connect and East Asia is handled by Cathay and JAL (but JAL may be leaving OW due to bankruptcy).

This is a great tool if you want to see who flies where. It was built by FTer and doesn't require installation. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-released.html
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Fortunately both AA and Delta are offering us status match. We have a number of other 'options' but those with status are the two real choices.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
Unfortunately. It also depends on the level of status match.

I assume 1k goes to Diamond/Plat on DL, and ExpPlat on AA
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If the bulk of your employer's work force is in the bay area, then you can be certain they will reverse their decision within a year.

If it is just you, then in my experience you'll find that so-called preferred carriers are much pricier when originating flights outside their normal territory. My employer includes several airlines among their preferred, and nearly always, ex-Colorado to any where world wide, they price out more than UA. Failing that *A prices out cheaper.

So I don't think this will have much of an affect unless your employer really wants to pay hundreds more for domestic flights and thousands more for long hauls.

And worse case, you end up flying SFO to DFW as the gate way to long hauls. The extra RDMs and EQMs can only help. AA does have some advantages for mid tier elites equivalent to 1K.

(I don't see DL working at for you.)

Anyway welcome to SJC; maybe I'll see you in the Admiral's club (I bought a membership since it is about 50 ft from the UA gates).
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
(I don't see DL working at for you.)
Why? I think it is the opposite.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Based 80% out of SFO and 20% out of CDG I often fly from SFO to eastern Asia and all over the west, midwest, and southwest (including Texas). Will be flying from CDG across Europe and a little to US and Asia.
Based on your travel patterns, I think you'd benefit the most from NW's pretty decent asian routes via the hub-lette in NRT.

For European destinations, the NW-KLM venture will benefit you as well.

Viva el estabilizador vertical rojo!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP's employer will pay business class fares for international trips, then Delta would be a good match.

But if the OP must buy the lowest coach fares, the OP would have to get used to sitting in coach. With AA, top-tier elites can upgrade any published fare with SWUs. Having used well over 100 AA SWUs, only once has my international upgrade not cleared. Just returned from JFK-LAX-NRT-HKG ($600 all in) and upgrades cleared on all eligible segments (not the CX NRT-HKG).

If the OP can buy business class fares, AA would still be a decent option, given that SWUs can be used to upgrade any business class fare to First Class (think SFO-LAX-LHR or SFO-LAX-NRT).
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I realize this may be debatable, but which program has better award redemption options?

I.e.
A. does AA or Delta offer more award availability.
B. Is one better for international award travel
C. Looks like Delta offers complimentary award ticket upgrades... really?
D. On united I earn 100% bonus mileage on UA metal, does this apply to both other programs?
E. Are rewards more expensive on one or the other program?

Last edited by tripaddict; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I realize this may be debatable, but which program has better award redemption options?

I.e.
A. does AA or Delta offer more award availability.
B. Is one better for international award travel
C. Looks like Delta offers complimentary award ticket upgrades... really?
D. On united I earn 100% bonus mileage on UA metal, does this apply to both other programs?
E. Are rewards more expensive on one or the other program?
AA is more generous than DL with awards. At your level, both programs are at least 100% bonus. Be careful with flying partners, I know that with AA, mileage earning depends on your fare class, especially in coach. Not sure about redemption amounts now, but in the past I found AA and UA to have lower required miles for trips than DL.

Do you fly coach domestic and business international?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.