AFAs view of unlimited upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
AFAs view of unlimited upgrades

From the AFA Hotline:

Unlimited Elite Customer Upgrades – Say Goodbye to First Class
"...United had previously announced their intention to implement this program last month to United’s elite customers, and is just another kick in the teeth to Flight Attendants and other loyal employees...."
Source: http://www.unitedafa.org/news/dearafa/default.aspx

I have my own views, but I'll just leave the quote on it's own without editorializing.

Mods: Not sure if this really belongs in its own thread or as part of the existing threads...please move if you feel it necessary
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
I guess I'm dense but how does this eliminate first class or "insult" flight attendants?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
The FAs don't get access to those seats anymore.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Wow. . .just. . .wow.

(And I'm a member of a union myself! It's a shame that some FA's--a VERY small, SMALL minority, in my experience, seem to hate their jobs so.)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
It's a "kick in the teeth"! A "kick in the teeth"!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:23 pm

Expected. Bitter unions always have bitter things to say.

Oh well, I'd feel better that a PAYING customer with elite status had a F seat, rather than an employee. Besides, they can still nonrev into three cabin F, especially intl.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:26 pm

Ohhhhh, boy. I'm not sure where to begin with this one . . .
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hmm...the article doesn't explain why this policy is a "kick in the teeth."

Possibly be meaning that f/as and other employees will most likely not fly "up front" anymore? Oh well? Employee travel for personal use has always been SPACE AVAILABLE. It's not guaranteed, nor was a seat up in first/business.

Now, if by UA instituting this new policy, the SPACE A benefits were eliminated, THAT would be a kick in the teeth. Otherwise...I don't get where they are coming from.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
A co-worker who is a non-FT'er and a 1K asked me, I kid you not, "Where will the Flight Attendant's sit now?" That's is just plain sad.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by JohnnyJet
From the AFA Hotline:

Unlimited Elite Customer Upgrades – Say Goodbye to First Class
"...United had previously announced their intention to implement this program last month to United’s elite customers, and is just another kick in the teeth to Flight Attendants and other loyal employees...."
Source: http://www.unitedafa.org/news/dearafa/default.aspx

I have my own views, but I'll just leave the quote on it's own without editorializing.

Mods: Not sure if this really belongs in its own thread or as part of the existing threads...please move if you feel it necessary
Question - do employees of other UDU (e.g. DL, CO and US) get any positive space F/C passes?

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
I can understand disapointment. This change will mean that there will ~ zero first space available at least domestic. If it helps increase revenue/loyalty/keep the airline in business and save some jobs though then I wouldn't call it a kick in the teeth. My company has cut perks as well...
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.

Captain Rex Kramer, 1980
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:39 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
When the new program was announced I actually wondered if this was one of the reasons why. I have definitely witnessed more than a few times when FAs and other employees (not in uniform) have been moved up to F (even international F) to the exclusion of paying pax. This moves a lot of that out of the hands of the gate since most of it will be done before the flight goes to airport control.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by hans
I guess I'm dense but how does this eliminate first class or "insult" flight attendants?
They can now only commute in PS and internationally config planes in F.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Very sad they still do not see that paying passengers make pay checks possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.